MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like things are interesting again this year in the tire world.

I wish someone would come out with a significantly lower diameter 15" tire... seems we're stock right at 23" for just about everything.

I think my choice to start the season is going to be back to the Hoosier R3 but in the S05 instead of S04. I like Hankook offering except their diameter is larger and tread width narrower than the Hoosier. Price is nice though.

Of course then you throw Avon in which provide even a larger diameter (23.1") but their 225/45-15 is between hoosier's 205/50-15 and 225/45-15 in all other dimensions, meaning I could fit it better under the fenders....

Sigh... ah tough choices.

Oh and Rain tires. My dirt stockers are done... so thinking of just getting some decent street tread tires - the dirt stockers are great in floods but otherwise they're too fragile IMO.

-David

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
We ran the A032R's in the rain, and honestly I wasn't the biggest fan of them, they didn't seem to give the greatest amount of grip. I think we did run the H compound though because we go them dirt cheap at the time. Nice part was they held up in the dry as well if needed. Had to be careful with pressures though. Over inflation results in belt seperation pretty easily with them.

I've run the Kuhmo V700's in the dry and they were great, didn't try them in the wet, but it seems like they would be an alright choice as well.

Didn't Hoosier come out w/ a new rain tire this year?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
yeah, hoosier has a DOT radial wet that you could go with, a buddy of mine had them for his CS miata 2 years ago, he was hoping for rain at the solo nationals

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya Hoosier has a rain radial but if I remember correctly it's like $280 per tire...

I will probably just start off the year with my old dirt stockers as "flood" tires and take along a set of old street tires Yoko A509 off the street car for intermediates.

Or maybe some snow tires since the first race is usually snowing LOL.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts