MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want honest opinions because my gf and i are looking for a new car. Here are the list of cars she is highly interested in.

Scion TC
Corolla S
Acura RSX
Solara

She saw the Eclipse at the LA Autoshow and was completely in love, i for one thought it looked fine and had exceptional power to boot. Though i am not a big mitsubishi fan i like this car.... now, i ask my fellow board members what you all think about this new 3.8L V6 Mitsubishi Eclipse.

Were both torn between a 05 RSX or this car... to be honest i'm leaning more towards the RSX but its' her choice.

Opinions?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
My vote goes to the Scion, best bang for the buck out of all IMO. I would definitely take a Toyota over a Mitsubishi (especially now that the whole company is in the crapper).

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
When does the Eclipse officially come out in showrooms? I thougut it would still be several months away.

I'd also take the Scion, for the performance of the base RSX, it's a bit cheaper, has cool options and looks better IMO

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
Scion TC - ok
Corolla S - don't you already have one?
Acura RSX - better than a TC imo
Solara - total girl's car

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
OK, so we just bought a 2002 RSX about 3 months ago for the wife. She's always wanted one, and I love it. It's not as fun as my MR2 but considering how practical, smooth, and quiet it is, and the fact it's FWD, it's pretty fun and has decent pep even though it's a slushbox. I'm very impressed with it. Although rear visibility sucks, but I think that is the case with most of these new bathtub-style cars coming on the market. While I like it a lot, I wouldn't be satisfied if I didn't have my MR2 for when I really want to have fun. Anyway.

Sorry man but the Eclipse won't touch the RSX in class, reliaibility, interior comfort, or features. I'm guessing it will cost a lot less though. And damn, that picture is ugly!!! It looks like a cross between an RX-8 and a beetle (the insect). It looks more "cute" than "aggressive". I don't know how much power it has, but "regular" mitsus have a reputation for very poor handling.

I never considered the current generation Eclipse. I never liked the outside styling and as soon as I saw how dated the interior was, it was totally off the list. I don't know how this new one is.

I was thinking about the scion too. I never test drove one, but it looks very similar to the RSX on paper, and I would say a better value. Very similar features, but it also has the fold down front row seat and the glass roof. Of course, I never test drove one to make a final claim...and the RSX definitely looks better. The resale value of the RSX is amazing. I don't know if that trend will continue. Toyotas also have pretty decent resale.

We ended up getting a 2002 RSX for 7k less than a 2004, and 3-4k less than a Scion. When you add in the depreciation of a new car, it made a lot more sense. We would have waited until the '05 came out and gotten a better deal or maybe even a new '04 but we didn't have time to wait.

Osman

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
OK so I just saw the 2006 eclipse website. The exterior doesn't look as bad from other angles, but I'm still not a big fan. The interior is definitely more modern, but I think it's too garish for my taste...it seems very wild and I have mixed feelings on the gauge cluster...the part of the car you look at the most. The 260 hp engine is interesting, but how much does the car weigh and how much is the V6 gonna cost?

Anyway, that's my 2 cents from someone who was considering pretty much the same lineup as you.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I saw the Eclipse this weekend at a car show. It wasn't available for sitting in, but from what I could tell, had much improved (subjective) aesthetics and interior design ... albeit from 10 feet away the plastic materials did look cheap. A car is about driving, so I reserve final opinion until I actually drive the thing... based on looks alone, I give it a 8/10 in style and a 6/10 in quality (I have little faith in Mitsubishi autos... or their long-term viability as a company)

I probably would vote for the Corolla S since it is so functional and I hear fun to drive. Perhaps not worth the extra money if your looking solely for performance, as I hear the improvement is mostly skin-deep. Also, Corollas seem to have excellent resale value. The newer Solara misses the mark in styling (altho the prev. generation looks real nice...), the tC is impressive but boring (and it looks a little ghey in person, IMO), and I'd get a TSX or preowned 3.2TL Type S if looking for an Acura. Like Ozy, I'd recommend a previously owned RSX if you do get your heart set on the RSX...

·
Registered
171 Posts
bleh.. Why do car companies design a car to look like it was meant to be RWD (big flared rear fenders) just to have it be FWD?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mitsu goes back to the early, and more popular, versions for styling cues and then keeps the third generation's FWD-only. Do they think available AWD would cut into the Evo sales?
tasteycow

·
Registered
420 Posts
tasteycow said:
Mitsu goes back to the early, and more popular, versions for styling cues and then keeps the third generation's FWD-only. Do they think available AWD would cut into the Evo sales?
tasteycow
notice that too that it has a strong resemblance to the 2nd gen 'clipse. unfortunately it ckips on the 4g63. shame. tC is a good bet. if u get the solara, may as well get the convertible if available. it will suck to have 2 boring cars.

·
Premium Member
10,238 Posts
I test drove a tC, and I loved every second of it. I will be selling the deuce before I go to school in the fall, and the tC is the only new car on the list.

Also, I am even less impressed with the new eclipse than I am with the current. The current one sucks, and obviously mitsubishi didn't listen to one 1g/2g DSM owner, or else they would have given the option of turbos or AWD. Mitsubishi is already way, way down the toilet anyways.

As for the RSX, all RSX owners are total jerks. They all think they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. Ozy, you and your wife are excluded, because you own an MR2, obviously.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
I think maybe a bunch of the younger RSX crowd are honda boyz who have enough money to own an RSX. Honda boy + money == youknowwhat. :p

But seriously I think the average RSX owner probably doesn't even use message boards, doesn't mod it, and doesn't race it....it's a car that targets young professionals like myself.

As an aside, I was at the RSX message board reading up how to change the headlight lamps because it was such a tight spot I needed some help. Man, people were on there saying they had to remove the bumper to do it. It took me about 1 hour but now that I know how to undo the latches it will probably take me 15 mins next time.
:lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts