MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would the 6 speed from a 2000+ celica fit to a 5sfe? I was just thinking about how wicked it would be to have a 6 speed MR2 :evillaugh . Just wanted to throw it out there and get everyone's input.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Even if it did, it's not a good match for the 5S-FE. You think the S54 is geared short? The Celica's tranny is geared pretty short (except 6th gear), but the engine also revs to 8200rpm. The differential/axle ratio is 4.529 on the Celica.

Doesn't the 2ZZ rotate in a different direction than the 5S?

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
you can pretty much figure, with 15,000k members if it hasn't been done then its not possible. There is nobody (aside from a 10k+ 6 speed sequential race tranny) that has any sort of 6 speed. Unfortunatly We have to live with what we got. Theres not much point a 6 speed though anyway, it would leave 1-5th gear ratios the same and just add a sixth. I guess it would be good for 60mph+ cruising but our motors lack the power to be able to take advantage of that. You probably wouldn't save much in fuel economy either...in order to stay moving at 2600rpm in a sixth gear you would have to probably have the pedal to the floor. That would eat more gas than 5th gear at 3000rpm with only 1/3rd throttle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
KyleScha said:
you can pretty much figure, with 15,000k members if it hasn't been done then its not possible.
I would stay away from that quote KyleScha unless you want everyone pointing out that nobody has made more than 147 horsepower out of a 5SFE.

·
Registered
811 Posts
seize said:
I would stay away from that quote KyleScha unless you want everyone pointing out that nobody has made more than 147 horsepower out of a 5SFE.
-Putting a celica tranny doesn't make as much sense as trying to get above 147 hp on the 5sfe though. :D

One day, when I'm rich, I swear I'll have a fully built 5sfe

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
seize said:
Well thats going to change very soon. Anyway the 5SFE tuning community is very small...there are probably only 5 guys on this board that are putting serious work into the 5SFE. Thats a far shot from probably thousands that would do a six speed tranny swap if they could.

...but when it comes to something as popular as 6 speed transmissions and how many people would like one, and nobody has one you have to figure its a hell of a project and probably not worth it in the end.

Of course ANYTHING is possible with enough money and time.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
seize said:
147 is the recorded record. alot more has been made.

the mk1 guys have used the 6 speed. you'd have to change the bell housing and mounts.. it would be ALOT of work on a 5sfe.

and you "the s54 is too short waah" guys are pansies ;) id rock a 4.5 final drive :D

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
147 is the recorded record. alot more has been made.
Unless there's proof it's all just speculative.

And yeah, short gears only really work on a high revving engine. If you have to shift at ~5500 rpm (any higher is just useless noise on a stock FE) you won't hit 60 until like 4th gear :) It'll sure feel fast but it'll still run 16's.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts