MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got 2 ?'s.
1st: Whenever I back up, with the wheels fully or almost fully turned it feels like the outer tire is slipping or moving around (yes everything is tight I checked). Usually happens on wet pavement, but not always. Car seems to handle fine, although the struts are worn and I do have new ones on order.
Is this normal due to the inner and outer wheels are traveling at a different radius with each other, therefore 1 or the other needs to give a little?

2nd: Wheel-hop. I have pretty sticky tires on my car, but sometimes when I leave a stop light hard on wet pavement one of the tires will break loose (new LSD tranny is on the way) and I get some pretty good wheel hop at times. Knowing this is very hard on the drive-train I want to eliminate this. I know on my old Firebird it was due to the leaf spring compressing under load and then snapping back creating an oscillating effect, which slapper 'traction' bars would easily fix.

I read this post: LINK after searching and I think the 2nd picture is what I need. I am surprised that there is enough play in the independent suspension to induce wheel hop.
So do I need to look for a set of bars as shown in the 2nd picture, or will the Eibach Sportlines with Tokico adjustables dampen it enough to render it a non-issue?
OR should I not worry about it since the LSD will probably keep me from ever breaking them loose again? (although I guess if it DID hop with both wheels that'd be REALLY BAD)

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
#1: Check to see if anything rubs when your wheels are turned all the way. Sometimes tires rub on the sway bar, and other places depending on wheel/tire size.

#2: Don't do a thing until you put the struts in. I've launched non-LSD NA MR2s on slicks for years and got no wheel hop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts