MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Holy crap there are alot of mr2s this season. There were roughly 2 mk1s, 15 mk2s, and 3 mk3s. Good to see deuces finally showin' up =)

Does anyone know what might cause my mr2 to understeer so much? I understeered 90% of the time =(. I also heard a "clunk" noise on the slalom (left, right, left, right...) section (I think it's chassis flex... or I hope so...) My endlinks seemed to be intact... any ideas? When the "clunking" occurred, I felt my steering wheel jerk slightly. =/

Anyways... here are a few pics =)

btw... thanks Su and Chris for the ride =P

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
clunk - could be a loose strut insert. or loose bolts on strut bars (happened to me once) ....or (less likely) a loose/missing bolt on the engine cross member (happened to me once) clunking on corners/slaloms is due to the rear sway bar (attached to rear cross member) was causing the cross member to flex from a downward possition to upward position causing a clunk. At any rate, clunks are not normal - check all suspension components.

I'm glad you guys had fun! Those are some *nice* pics! maybe when my kids grow up I'll join you.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Hey thanks for the pics man! Maybe I'll ride with you next time so we can diagnose your understeer. Last year I had horrible understeer, but that was because it was lowered on some stiff H&R springs on blown stock shocks along with some noname old all-season tire. Going back to stock and then adding some modifications here and there made it handle like a dream! I still had a tiny bit of oversteer if you noticed in one of the corners when you rode with me, but that turned out to be my quickest run. All in all, that was probably the funner of all events I've been to so far.

Hope to see y'all out there again!

-Chris

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Kilika said:
All in all, that was probably the funner of all events I've been to so far.
Does that include our miss guided trip to IN and Out? :) Went North when it was suppose to be South. Bust a dozen U turns to get back to the right place. And it turns out .. it's not even open yet .. haha .. priceless.

oes anyone know what might cause my mr2 to understeer so much? I understeered 90% of the time =(. I also heard a "clunk" noise on the slalom (left, right, left, right...) section (I think it's chassis flex... or I hope so...) My endlinks seemed to be intact... any ideas? When the "clunking" occurred, I felt my steering wheel jerk slightly. =/
Email me. We can jack the car up and see if anything is loose.

Su

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
I had fun at the event. It was my second cone course (first being at BC2003), and it was sooo different from the track I autocross on back home. I was on crappy all-season tires instead of my race wheel setup so the car just had no grip. Balance was good once I sorted it out after the first run. Great event, and I can't wait for the next event.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hey guys.

I was the driver of the blue second gen in front of the viper in the pics. I have a f355 front bumper. Anyways the event was great. It was a really open track. My best time was a 50.1someting. I got to much wheel spin coming out of a couple of corners, and missed a shift. I was having the same understeer problem last season until i disconnected my front sway bar and put some kumho mx up front ( i have 712s in the rear) now the car is dead neutral.

In one of the other posts you guys were saying that you are running in E stock. I was running CSP in my na. Please explain why you are in the lower class.

Anyways I hope to see you all on the 20th.

Peace.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Griftersdeuce said:
In one of the other posts you guys were saying that you are running in E stock. I was running CSP in my na. Please explain why you are in the lower class.
It depends on your mods. The MKII NA MR2 is most competitive in E Stock and thats proven nationally, CSP is a very tough class and is usually dominated by Miatas and Spyders because they seem to respond to mods better than we can. Classing is very important, as just throwing on aftermarket springs on a MR2 Turbo will automatically place the car into ASP where it'll be against modded 911 GT2s and Z06s. Anyways, if you are on street tires with some bolt-ons, you could be running ST2 instead where you'll be somewhat more competitive, but the Miatas are in that class too. Anyways, I'm kinda dissappointed that now the Miatas have like 4 classes where they can all do well in. ES is basically on its last legs, but its nice to see the turbo competitive again in BS.

·
Registered
189 Posts
what does a dead stock na mr2 run in? I thought it was c stock.

Im not particularly competitive ( still getting the driving mistakes worked out) so I usually run in one of a few groups. It depends on if they are running in the afternoon (I am NOT a morning person) and if the group is small.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The NA MR2 used to run in CS, but was moved down to ES because of lack of competitiveness to the the newer Miatas (argubly) but still strongly popular at the time. Now they moved the 94-97 Miatas down to ES too, they do these things to make sure there are good showing at events and to ensure the more popular cars will have a good chance of being competitive.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts