MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it cost to get this engine and all the stuff required for a swap into a 91 MR2?
Also what would be the price to have this done compared to a 3sgte swap? What is the hp on the 1mzfe engine?
Anyone know of a shop that could do it around NY/PA?

Thanks.

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
the cost is so incredibly varying that you cant really even give an accurate range. its a used american market engine, so theres SERIOUS deals to be had. ive seen the motors go for as little as 400 bucks, and as much as ~1800 just for the long blocks..

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah iv been noticed that, iv been checking the prices. iv seen 600 and 1500 and everything inbetween. What would be the best thing, find a wretched solora or something and buy it? So i can get everything.

·
Registered
4,941 Posts
basically to find a complete engine with harness and all supporting items. usually places take off things to sell seperate (AFM and so on) so it's just more hunting around. www.car-parts.com is a great place to look around for stuff as well as tap if you need something for sure. Basically you looking for everything needed to make it run. Make sure none of the sensors or connectors are broken, you either have to hard wire things or shell out a crapload of cash for a intact harness.

Other than that just read up on the stickies and such to find out all the other bits you need. Fule system stuff is one as well as what tranny to use, axels, carrier bearing, tach adapter and coolent temp sensor as well as wireing just to name a few.

I'd budget 4-5K to be on the safe side. also it pays to replace other bits on the car when it's down. I redid all my wheel bearings as well as suspention bushings and such....makes for a even better car.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
TomsMR2 said:
the cost is so incredibly varying that you cant really even give an accurate range. its a used american market engine, so theres SERIOUS deals to be had. ive seen the motors go for as little as 400 bucks, and as much as ~1800 just for the long blocks..
You're dead on. When I was calling recyclers to figure out the project I ended up with all kinds of different quotes. What I did insist on was that the engine come complete with the accessories, wiring harness, igniter's, AC hoses, all sensors, etc. and that I needed to be able to grab an ECU from a car with some pig-tail wiring for the main harness. Quotes for that set-up ran from about $500 to $1500.

As much as price, finding a yard that will be willing to let you go back and pillage any of the additional parts you may need off the car is also important. I ended up working out something with the manager of a local yard and was out the door complete very reasonably.
Tparrotte said:
What would it cost to get this engine and all the stuff required for a swap into a 91 MR2?
Also what would be the price to have this done compared to a 3sgte swap? What is the hp on the 1mzfe engine?
Anyone know of a shop that could do it around NY/PA?

Thanks.
On top of the bits from the donor car you may will need some additional goodies - custom exhaust work, unusual hoses, modified AC hoses, engine gaskets (to replace worn stuff), etc.; be sure to include some extra cash for those items as well when planning your swap budget.

I would guess paying someone else to the work for a v6 swap would run 2 to 3 times the total parts cost, possibly more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts