MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My V6 MK1 keeps breaking the CV hub end off at the bearing. Was wondering if there is anyway to change the hub to accept a larger diameter CV shaft like ones off a ES300? Using a ES300 manual transmission and have to get the stock 1986 CV shafts shortened. Built for a 115 hp engine won't handle 220hp. Looking for any kind of a solution.

·
Registered
99 Posts
What V6 are you running? If it was the V6 that came with that ES300 transmission (E53) then it is a 3VZ-FE and it is not 220hp unless you are boosted or something, i think it is stock like 180?. Could it be that you are shortening the axles too much, or your motor mounts are not putting the transmission in the right spot and the alignment is poor? Snapping the cup off of the axle stub is surprising if alignment is good and you are not going around doing clutch drops daily.

We run a S54 transmission bolted to a 1MZ-FE VVTI from a newer ES300. The axles that were mated with the S54 from the MK2 NA MR2 slide right into the stock MK1 hubs. This engine is rated to 220hp, and we race this setup in lemons, no issues on the axles at all. Not sure if parts from those axles will swap on to your axles or not, just a thought. Or even better if you could just use the whole axle but I doubt that.

Good luck, interested in seeing what you find out.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It's not the HP, it's torque that breaks things. I know early V6 Camry outers are larger than the MK1 MR2 and have the same spline and will work on E series shafts. This is what I'm running, E153, E153 shafts with MK1 hubs. Sorry I don't know the years. I assume it's the ones with E series trans + V6's but it's been years since I read on it.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I found the link. I assume you have an E series trans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What V6 are you running? If it was the V6 that came with that ES300 transmission (E53) then it is a 3VZ-FE and it is not 220hp unless you are boosted or something, i think it is stock like 180?. Could it be that you are shortening the axles too much, or your motor mounts are not putting the transmission in the right spot and the alignment is poor? Snapping the cup off of the axle stub is surprising if alignment is good and you are not going around doing clutch drops daily.

We run a S54 transmission bolted to a 1MZ-FE VVTI from a newer ES300. The axles that were mated with the S54 from the MK2 NA MR2 slide right into the stock MK1 hubs. This engine is rated to 220hp, and we race this setup in lemons, no issues on the axles at all. Not sure if parts from those axles will swap on to your axles or not, just a thought. Or even better if you could just use the whole axle but I doubt that.

Good luck, interested in seeing what you find out.
Thanks for the advice, I'm running a early 1Mz-FE engine with the E153 tranny and the early Camry V6 shafts bolted right in (1988-1992). Can't wait ti get it on the track at Daytona in April. Should be able to get 135+ on the high banks, WHOOO HOOO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts