MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First I read the 1MZ-FE is a better fit than the 3S-GTE and its lighter, Can I please get a second opinion on that,I meen that cant be true is it?

Second How much can a stock 1MZ-FE handle under boost.

And last but not lease is this swap cheapter than a 3S-GTE, I now have a 5S-FE with a Auto tranny (swapping tranny also) 91

Thanks MROC
 

·
1991/2001 V6 Mr2 #8
Joined
·
2,235 Posts
Jay-Spec1 said:
First I read the 1MZ-FE is a better fit than the 3S-GTE and its lighter, Can I please get a second opinion on that,I meen that cant be true is it?
Yes, the 1mz is aluminum alloy block, the 3sgte is cast iron, plus the weight of the turbo gear

Second How much can a stock 1MZ-FE handle under boost.
Ive had some conversations w/ many of the guys on the boards. Seems that most like to recommend no more than the high-altitude pully on the TRD S/c (5.5psi) The 1mz's stock pistons arn't built for heat. They would be the first thing to go in a high boost situation.

And last but not least is this swap cheapter than a 3S-GTE, I now have a 5S-FE with a Auto tranny (swapping tranny also) 91

Thanks MROC
NO! 1MZ swaps, properly done with attention to detail and reliability of install, are not cheap. Especially when you include labor. 100+ hours of labor seems to be the average. And thats not including if you need to fix anything that you already did.




Research my man!, Answers to all these questions have been debated many times. Although, most of the older 1mz swap info is in the dead realms of the Hybrid MKII forum
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,418 Posts
i of course it fits well, but as a swap u have to fab a 1 or 2 (cant remember) motor mounts... thats what im talking about fitting well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,992 Posts
It is actually far easier to work on the 1MZ MR2 than it is a Turbo MR2. :rolleyes:

Now, that is a blanket statement. It depends on what you are doing.

In general however, there is more engine bay room with a V6 than there is with a turbo motor. Until we find a really good intercooled supercharger setup, only the TRD SC units will work, no IC, so all of that piping is left out of the engine bay.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,333 Posts
mikeswickednick said:
it doesnt fit better than a 3sgte

doesnt take boost to well... like dave said
I've got a 91 Turbo in my garage that begs to differ! :blockhead
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
the 1mz fits better than the 3sgte. IF I drop a wrench on the crossmember, I can reach down behind the 1mz to get it without scraping my arm up.

I can do a timing belt on a 1mz in under 2 hours and not lose skin. 3sgte is generally in the relm of 4-6 hours plus another 1-2 hours in the ER tending to my wounds.

Once the engine is in, the 1mz fits better. However, it does require some basic fabrication to make it fit. Whereas the 3sgte parts are available from many sources.

-B
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brad Bedell said:
the 1mz fits better than the 3sgte. IF I drop a wrench on the crossmember, I can reach down behind the 1mz to get it without scraping my arm up.

I can do a timing belt on a 1mz in under 2 hours and not lose skin. 3sgte is generally in the relm of 4-6 hours plus another 1-2 hours in the ER tending to my wounds.

Once the engine is in, the 1mz fits better. However, it does require some basic fabrication to make it fit. Whereas the 3sgte parts are available from many sources.

-B
well like what kind of fab. are we talking, just the engine mount on the passager side, or is there more. And if its the engine mount what do i have to do to it?

second can the 1mzfe bolt to my stock N/A automatic tranny with no problems. I was just going to take the es300 tranny but brackets and such may be different.

Thanks MR2OC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
well, technically the MR2 auto will bolt up. I wouldn't do it. YOu'll be yanking the stock auto in about 3 weeks after the V6 eats it up. Use the ES tranny, you'll be happier in the long run.

As far as fab work:
Motor mount (mounts if you're doing an auto)
axle solution if you're doing an auto, probably pretty simple, but something will be *different*
water pipes
air intake
exhaust (including manifolds)
AC hoses
fuel lines
Automatic shift cable, stocker might work, but noone knows.

Anyhow, most of this has been covered in the top 4-5 posts in this section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brad Bedell said:
well, technically the MR2 auto will bolt up. I wouldn't do it. YOu'll be yanking the stock auto in about 3 weeks after the V6 eats it up. Use the ES tranny, you'll be happier in the long run.

As far as fab work:
Motor mount (mounts if you're doing an auto)
axle solution if you're doing an auto, probably pretty simple, but something will be *different*
water pipes
air intake
exhaust (including manifolds)
AC hoses
fuel lines
Automatic shift cable, stocker might work, but noone knows.

Anyhow, most of this has been covered in the top 4-5 posts in this section.

Mmmkk cool will i need custom brackects for the es tranny. and with the mounts do i need like to get some welded or something?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
320 Posts
i had ask the question which is lighter... the 1mz or the 3sge.
you guys are saying the 1mz is lighter?

can you guys tell me how much each weigh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,992 Posts
This has been asked many times, I suggest you search for it in this forum or the Hybrids forum

I'll put in my two cents though. Since you are replacing an iron block with an aluminum block and removing all the turbo junk, it's about 100 lbs. lighter than a Turbo MR2.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,635 Posts
I'll chime in with my .02 cents too: my 1MZ is 401lbs with everything on it. The short block also moves around easier than my 5S block!

Now why would you keep the automatic transmission if you were also considering the 3SGTE? Either way you go, 3SGTE or 1MZ, you need to get rid of the automatic, period! Both engines will eat that transmission within a matter of weeks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,992 Posts
My engine came with the alternator hanging and a flywheel mounted, strapped to a pallet.

The pallet had "431 lbs." written on it by the shipper or the carrier. So, knock off about 30 lbs. for a pallet and do the math. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,992 Posts
I know that actually using the search function is just way more difficult than posting the same question for the 4096th time, so I'll just answer this AGAIN for Brad.

Brad's supercharged 1MZ car weighed in at about 100 lbs. less than a Turbo MR2.

Excellent. One more thread to show up on the search results.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top