MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know if any cams are available for the 1mz? also on stock internals how much of a nitrous shot could one run?

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
I am sure you can have them rebgound by Web Cams or Ted's Componants and as far as nitrous I would say safely about a 75 shot.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
qwik_MR2_5sfte said:
I am sure you can have them rebgound by Web Cams or Ted's Componants and as far as nitrous I would say safely about a 75 shot.

I agree a 50 or 75 shot would be ok. I would worry about the rods in the MZ if your going to run more than that. How much power has been put out of a stock 1MZ before it broke? Anybody know?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
im a little disapointed...sounds like the 1mz has a glass jaw so to speak. i was hoping to be able to run a dual stage with one being at least a 100hp shot...

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Well you might be able too I am not that educated on the V6 I was just saying a for sure safe nitrous level so someone with more knowledge chime in.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
At 280-300 whp under boost it seems pistons like to produce holes. I'd imagine it could do that much easier under n2o since it cools down the intake charge, which I believe is the primary reason for the ugliness created by a high-boost SC. My intake temps at only 4psi were above 200 degrees on a hot day. :(

Don't rods usually die from rpms? I think the pistons are the weak link. The problem is, nobody has yet created boost on stock internals that was properly intercooled. Proper intercooling would do wonders to the perceived power potential of this engine. I'd expect 300whp easy if you can keep intake temps down.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I agree that intercooling should help however I also feel that the CR is too high for a boosted motor running more than a few psi. Someone needs to produce a thick head gasket that will allow us to drop the compression ratio to a safer level so we can actually see what the stock components are capable of without the knock melting holes in them.

Yes rods usually get killed from RPMs but a weak enough rod will bend from excessive torque too.

Check it out from THIS post

3VZ, Eagle 22R, 1MZ
The mz rod looks cast where the vz truck rods look forged (see the sharp edges)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts