MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 Mr2 turbo Hardtop (Black). It has every option except leather and a LSD. I know that the car is very rare, but I can't keep looking at it every thime I go into my garage wondering if I will ever have the time to get it running. It has 198,000 on the chassis. I will list what is wrong with it and what has been replaced.

Replaced:
1) All Brakes less than 3000 miles
2) Some suspension work from previous owner (I believe tie rods and sway bar links)
3) All fluids
4) Tires (front) toyo proxies (80% left)
5) Tires (rear) Kuhmo's 100% left NEW

Condition:
1) Car itself is 100 percent free of rust. I mean perfect.
2) The front bumper was slightly swiped, needs a new cover to be perfect again.
3) the rear bumper was also hit barely and is pushed in a bit. new cover also would be needed for it to be perfect.
4) The paint on the car is pretty good but could use a good buffing.
5) Slight scratches and dings here and there (front only)
6) The Interior is great. The steering wheel is worn, and there is no radio
7) Need interior floor mats, but the carpet is perfect
8) All speakers were dryrotted and sounded like crap, so I removed them.
9) Car drove absolutly perfect and straight, clear title. TIGHT steering. NO problems. 14 hour drive from texas and NO problems!
10) THERE IS NO ENGINE/TRANSMISSION IN THE CAR!!!!!!!!!!!

PARTS:
I have so many parts it is sick. Turbo Headers, Ported Ct-26's, stock jdm ceramic ct26, downpipe.The original engine is bored .020" over and all machined up to like new. Stock crank micropolished and installed. Stock rods with Weisco .020 over pistons for the block (No rings)
The Original head is in a box. All the other original parts are put up and I have ALL of them. I have another complete mr2 long block that simply needs put back together or bored and built. I have a set of stock rods and std weisco pistons (no rings), machined flywheel, arp studs all over! And yet Another complete JDM 3sgte with another 5 speed transmission. It has a rod knock. New wiring harness for the engine (genuine toyota) Engine cover fan lid, Like new leather door panels, and so many other parts I just can't think of them. I have well over 12,000 into this thing and I have NO time. The car is so amazingly great. for near 200,000 miles you would think it would be crap but it is so nice. I really don't want to let it go. I want you guys to tell me what you think it is worth (AS IS). Or what you WILL buy it for. Make offers and I might say yes. There are so many more parts I haven't even talked about. Cometic head gaskets, HKS head gaskets, block off plates, etc.... It goes on. Just a rough idea please. If it is too low I guess I will have to find time and finish it for myself :) Thanks everyone.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Unfortunately, you're not going to get much besides low balls without an engine or tranny installed. Not many people want to pay premiums for a project.

I'd say you're in the $7K range, and I'm probably high.

·
Registered
19 Posts
David Hawkins said:
Unfortunately, you're not going to get much besides low balls without an engine or tranny installed. Not many people want to pay premiums for a project.
What David said. If possible I would spend the time to assemble everything (if it's not already assembled) and get it all in the car. I think it would sell faster and for more $$$.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I would probably take 7k at the lowest. If it was just a 91 hardtop turbo I can see 5k, but being that the car is so encredibly rare to the right buyer I feel 7k is a steal. Thanks for the comments guys. Hopefully someone will appreciate this project and take it over. If it does go I will miss is sooooo much. It was my first car! The thing ran GREAT at 198,000 but the clutch was going out and I thought now was the time for a low mileage jdm 3sgte swap. I was so wrong. I put all new gaskets and wiring harness's and sensors on the jdm engine from ebay put it in and when I started it it had a knock. I truly lost hope and it has sat for 4 years in my garage! Keep it comming guys. Don't forget this thing is 100 percent rust free. Like new underneath! The heat shields are shiney and the engine bay is perfect black. really a front end repaint and a new rear bumper and the exterior is done. interior is 90% perfect. I have 90% of everything you would need to build a fully forged engine. I have a Brand new head ported and 3 angle valve job. Cams are 100% to spec ect... Like I said tons of parts. New oil pump, water pump, a $2000 kit from top end performance for a rebuild. If I think of more I'll tell you guys. Thanks again.

Brian

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, I won't sell the JDM ct-26 yet. That turbo is ported like crazy and has the twin entry removed. The wastegates are now 25mm each (professionally bored out) and smoothed. The turbo, even with a stock compressor wheel is good for an honest 280rwhp. It is also match ported to a stainless header from ssautochrome. Thanks but I want to sell it all or fix it and sell it all.
A ton of time went into all this stuff. I'll keep you guys up to date.

Brian

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Part of the problem is that a non-running car is a zero. Meaning there is no way to check if the brakes are good, tranny is good, ac works etc etc etc
When somebody buys it, they have to make a big leap of faith. That leap of faith will cost you money.
Get some really good pictures of it and be ready to wait. Expect to get about $4-5k and that is with all of the parts included, and you can hope for more. You would be lucky to find someone local. That would mean that the cost of a haul would not be an issue.
Good luck!

·
TD06 HP record holder
3,636 Posts
I would give you $5000 and it will still cost me a bunch to ship it. The car has a lot of miles and it needs a lot of work. But I have bought cars in worse shape and in more pieces. Send me pics I might offer more?

[email protected]

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do understand everyone's point about how a non running car can't be tested so the buyer is taking a big leap of faith. I know if I simply sold everything seperately on ebay (Stripped the car) I could easily get more than I want out of it. That also takes time, but that is not going to happen. I truly love this car and want it to go to a good owner. The $5000 offer from 1fastsol is nice, but of course I would have to say no because of my investment. The car is all covered up and I will be unwrapping it for pictures tommarow. I will take as many parts pics as I can. The whole front trunk and rear trunk are full, plus boxes and boxes. I wish I could say "Trust me, Everything I say is true" but nobody here really knows me except candymr2. Honesty is hard to find today. Well tommarow expect pictures. Best case I will just get it done and keep it. I just hate looking at it sitting there. Time is so hard to come by! Tommarow.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Maybe its the mood I'm in or maybe there's a fullmooon but:

Comeon, pull your head out of....hmmm...the clouds!

You want $7k for a 18 year old car with 200k, and a blown motor that hasn't moved in 4 years....What did the car retail for $25k?.. good luck dude.

You can part the car out and hope to get $7k but remove the word "Invested" fully from anything to do with any car...

Sorry to be "that guy" but were talking about an MR2 here not a NSX, corvette or Supra. There's just not a base people waiting to snatch it up because its rare.

At any rate. Good luck with the sell.. I hope you get it, cause the rest of us can only benifit.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoolby said:
Maybe its the mood I'm in or maybe there's a fullmooon but:

Comeon, pull your head out of....hmmm...the clouds!

You want $7k for a 18 year old car with 200k, and a blown motor that hasn't moved in 4 years....What did the car retail for $25k?.. good luck dude.

You can part the car out and hope to get $7k but with a blown motor I don't see that either.

Sorry to be "that guy" but were talking about an MR2 here not a NSX or Supra.

At any rate. Good luck with the sell.. I hope you get it, cause the rest of us can only benifit.

MMM.. Ok. It's 13 years old. If you want to sum it all up like that your right. But I am sorry to inform you that you are horribly WRONG! You must not have read what all is for sale. The tons of NEW performance parts help out , but this is One of the rarest Mr2's ever my friend. How many people do you know of with 1993 Mr2 turbo Hardtops??? I know of 7 and I have done hours of research! To the right buyer (not you) the car may be worth that much. I have a 1970 Pontiac Trans am Ram Air III that is a very rare car, Even if FULLY restored, a 1970 Pontiac Trans am Ram Air IV carcuss is worth twice as much! It matters to some. Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Yeah my whole point is senseless because I made a addition error........Okey doke.

I own a 91 E30 M3.... That "my friend" is a rare year of a rare car (5000 sold over 5 years with 300 sold the last year- 91) and unlike the MR2, It has a stong following throughout the world with more than sub-18, no money or sense/big dreams crowd.

At any rate, I'm nosing out of your thread with this thought: time will tell what the car is worth.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Fewer than 40 93 Turbos were imported without a T top. That counts as rare in my book.

Our community is far more than a bunch of sub-18, no money or sense/big dreams crowd. A good number of us are mature owners who have been with our cars since the beginning and we can appreciate the value in the more rare examples. He may have to hold out for the right buyer, but there will be someone out there who sees the rarity and value in this package and make him an offer that he feels is worthwhile.

Bottom line, in accordance with the rules for these forums (the for sale ones), Naysayers are not really desired, nor welcome in these types of threads. If you think he is asking too much, answer his question and tell him what you think the car is worth (like I did). Don't waste his time or clutter the thread with 'you're high...the car will never be worth that much! Get your head out of the clouds'.

·
TD06 HP record holder
3,636 Posts
The one thing that brought the price down for me was the mileage. Other than that I took your word for everything else. If you part it out let me know I might buy the shell and some other things.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok, It looks like 100,000 not 200,000. Whoever owned this before me pampered it. I have reciepts from the previous owner, and i'll try to get pics of the underbody for you. It is sooooo nice under there. I am used to rusty musclecars, and when I work on this thing I LOVE IT! I won't part it out. I will keep it and one day fix it or sell it all. It's all or nothing :smile: Also do you guys know where I can get a good set of piston rings for my .020" over wiseco pistons? I don't need total seal, I just want a good moly or filefit. NO CAST, (unless total seal gapless rings are cheap somewhere). Thanks again guys.

Brian

1 - 20 of 46 Posts