MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm trying to help my brother pass emissions in TN. Here are the full engine specs for the car:

Gen2 3SGTE
ATS TD06 turbo
ATS Rom Tune
Gen3 cams
550cc injectors
ATS Modified Fuel Rail
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Apexi Intake
Stock BOV
Berk Intercooler
Berk 3" Downpipe -> 3" Berk B pipe -> Custom 2.25" CAT and Muffler (temp)
TwosRus MBC
ATS EGR Blockoff Plates
ATS TB Inlet
Every IC pipe connection has Berk/KO Racing couplers and constant torque clamps.
Has been pressure tested and has very healthy vacuum.

He's failing with very high HC and CO counts.
2nd to last time -> HC = 529PPM (legal < 220), CO = 8.02% (legal 1.20)
Last time -> HC = 400PPM (legal < 220), CO = 9.0% (legal 1.20)
Test are performed in neutral revved to 2500rpm.

Things we've tried:

#1 - Adjusted TPS sensor to BGB specs.
#2 - Had a custom exhaust put together to bolt on to his Berk 3" B-pipe that includes a CAT.
#3 - Torched his O2 sensor until it was red hot to clean it since it was completely clogged with crap.

Now we're out of ideas. Car appears to run rich and has taken a hit on mpg ever since the rom-tune.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to lower his HC and CO levels?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Lane

·
Registered
623 Posts
Wait- emissions tests...

...in Tennessee...?

:bsflag: I hate legislature. Thankfully, where I live is still exempt, for now.

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I had my brother replace the O2 sensor with a Bosch sensor (which I've had success with in the past) a week ago. He hasn't gone back to test yet since they give you 2 months to fix your problems if you fail a test.
Further adjustments to the TPS sensor solved the problem with holding 2500 RPM. Car seems to be running better, but we're still verifying that the car is actually getting into closed loop.

I appreciate the suggestions. The original EGR equipment is long gone. I will consider that an option, but I'm hoping to not have to deal with it if I don't have to :)

Lane

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
egr doesnt matter at idle.

idk how they let you in the test center with a 2500 rpm idle. you're obviously running rich as hell at idle, hence the high hc's. is there even a converter present?

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sidewaysSW20 said:
idk how they let you in the test center with a 2500 rpm idle. you're obviously running rich as hell at idle, hence the high hc's. is there even a converter present?
Car idles at 800-900rpm. They make you test revved to 2500. Aftermarket cat is installed.

sidewaysSW20 said:
try to find someone with a gas analyzer. there are some PRIVATE shops out there. trust me. there are.

they will make "adjustments" in an attempt to get you through the test. things such as unplugging a vacuum hose, disconnecting an injector, messing with timing and idle speed.

did you drive the crap outta the car in attempts to get the converter lit off? make sure the coolant temp sensor, tps, o2 and maf/map are all working properly and its not misfiring even slightly. are you using stock heat range plugs? colder plugs will cause a rich idle.

what county is he in? i live in hamilton county.
My bro's situation isn't as dire as I thought it was since I found out they give you two months in-between testing to 'fix' your problems. We've gotten offers from a board member who runs a private shop to test until we pass. That's probably what we'll do after another month of checking things over :)

We're aware of the 'tricks' like unplugging an injector and timing (vacuum lines are a no no on a AFM meter'd car like the 2nd gen 3SGTE), but we're trying to get the car healthy and pass right.

Previous attempts were tried after boosted highway pulls. Coolant sensor is only 4 years old and working. TPS passes all BGB specs and tests. MAP isn't used on the 3SGTE except for overboost protection in the form of fuel cut. MAF is actually the AFM, which seems to be working properly too. He's running brand new NGK 4644's gapped at 0.028" and he just recently replaced his distributor cap and rotor. O2 sensor and closed loop operation is still being verified. He has a multimeter, but I think I'm going to have to help him with the procedure in person.

Oh yeah, I don't know what county he's in, but his city is Nolansville.

I appreciate the help.

Lane

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
ah ok, i didnt know if the engine was swapped which was why i said map/maf. i've pulled vac lines on a maf'd car to get it to pass before. main thing is to find someone that had their OWN five-gas analyzer, or you're going to spend alot of money on test fees, since you only get a free test if you pay for a test. so its five bucks a test basically. thats nowhere near the shop i know of though, nolansville? well good luck!

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Look at your afr's at idle and 2,500 rpm. It MUST be at 14.7 or above. Otherwise you will fail. The best way is to make sure your engine is warmed up and the intercooler is heat soaked.

I know this because I failed 6 times. I was over the limit by as much as you and having the afr above 14.7 drastically reduced all of my emissions.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
once again, pulling vac lines on a maf car is best bet for leaning out the mixture. doesnt do much on the map sensor cars. trust me. used to do this to get my 1g talon turbo to pass. pulled the vac hose, drove it a lil bit, passed with flying colors, reattached the vacuum hose, and was on my merry way.

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
sidewaysSW20 said:
once again, pulling vac lines on a maf car is best bet for leaning out the mixture. doesnt do much on the map sensor cars. trust me. used to do this to get my 1g talon turbo to pass. pulled the vac hose, drove it a lil bit, passed with flying colors, reattached the vacuum hose, and was on my merry way.
Once again, the 3SGTE doesn't have a MAF sensor but I know what you're getting at :thumbup

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
what? i thought you just said in the earlier post that you checked out the mass air sensor and it checked out ok. hence my assumption that pulling a vac hose might help lean the car out enough to clean it up a little bit.

·
Resistance Is Futile
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
sidewaysSW20 said:
what? i thought you just said in the earlier post that you checked out the mass air sensor and it checked out ok. hence my assumption that pulling a vac hose might help lean the car out enough to clean it up a little bit.
I was referencing the AFM, which is what is used on 2nd gen 3SGTEs. 3rd Gen 3SGTE's use the MAP primarily and do away with the AFM. I'm stuck with an AFM. MAF's and AFM's share similar duties but they are not the same thing and AFMs tend to be crankier when you steal away or introduce air into a metered system.

Lane

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
I think your main issue is just running too rich, either reduce the fuel pressure or add in some E-85 to dilute out the gasoline.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
gotcha. i've heard tell of vague stories of people running race gas to pass emissions, idk how it affects the mixture, but only a gallon or two for a whole tank of gas is SAID to do the trick.

i guess what you are referring to is the difference between pulling a vac hose on a "hot wire" mass air setup versus the "flapper door" versions. personally i've always had results with both kinds. although the talon i spoke up used a hot wire setup like you're speaking of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts