MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1991 MR-2 N/A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Just picked up this mechanically sound 1991 n/a that needs a new paint job and minor interior bits as a project for me and my oldest son.

·
6,192 Posts
If the car hasn't been repainted you just need to polish it, the factory single stage paint will fade over time but polishing will bring it back to new condition. Those wheels look good too some lowering springs would really help if you're into that.

·
5,249 Posts
J is completely right, those old single stage Toyota paint formulations were almost indestructible - especially Crimson Red which cut polishes very well. A sunroof too, nice nab.

·
2,323 Posts
Looks good. Yes, like the others have said, the paint can be fixed. My car is mostly still OEM paint and it's able to be polished back to a shine and kept nice. Just don't polish it too much!

·
Registered
1991 MR-2 N/A
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice on the paint, most of it is ok there is some flaking down to the base coat so it may not need a full repaint. The plan is to keep it mostly stock for the next few years while we gather the parts for a 2gr swap.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
The oem finish on the 1991 was single stage; not base/clear. You can only polish single stage so many times until it you get to the primer. The paint wears down to the metal on the edges first.

Awesome fathering on your part. I would have adored building a car with my father.

·
2,323 Posts
The oem finish on the 1991 was single stage; not base/clear. You can only polish single stage so many times until it you get to the primer. The paint wears down to the metal on the edges first.

Awesome fathering on your part. I would have adored building a car with my father.
You know it! My car has polished primer in some spots. I actually prefer single stage paint for repair as clear coat always peals and once that starts there is no going back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts