MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

This is basically how the motor is sitting just now, Im hoping that the adapter and flywheel come in soon! I might be repeating myself but I am ordering a full cage from autopower and getting this shop to weld it and add extra bracing to the rear strut towers, and actually building a rear cage all together. I've got the plans drawn out on drafting paper (since Im not smart and cant CAD up a drawing).

The car is red, but not a fan of that color, so Im going to paint it black. I hope this weekend the weather is nice and dry so I can semi gloss the engine bay, trunk, and frunk and some of the interior.

I really think this car will be a beast even with the 250bhp and 260btq. Based on how light the MR2 is and the short ratio gear box, the V8 should have no problem reving through the gears, especially with the light weight custom flywheel, which is mated to a Spec Stage 3, factory toyota LSD should hook tight with the extra weight on the rear wheels it should really lanch!!!!

Thanks for the respect and for everyones opinions they are welcome to speak their opinion and also to give me new idea's. So feel free to leave your input but please dont post about other types of engines to put in your MR2 or that the lexus motor sucks or stuff like that.

Thanks again,
Jeff

·
Mad Collector!
554 Posts
Jeff:
hats off to you for doing what I've always wanted to do- replicating the SARD MC8R set-up. I just finished reading the past 90 posts and am ready for the plate mounting celebration.. So have you finalized your alternator location? and figured out the wiring pin outs?
-Good luck man, seriously- that is quite a project you got going there.
- Tim
PS "GO SEAHAWKS!"

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, I actually believe wiring is going to be the easy part. Luckily toyota/lexus decided to keep the pin out names exactly the same. I have finalized the location of the alternator but have yet to machine it to make it where it will fit properly.

I am also making the water neck on the 1uz setup like the 3s/5s motor, with the thermostat one the pulley side and the back side of the 1uz will connect to the 3s radiator cap side and still retain the over flow tank. These are ideas and dreams, these are plans and goals.

On a different note, I am changing the color of the MR2 (currently Red) to black, My friend and I spent all day saturday removing the front pieces (fuse box, hoses, clamps, wiring harness's) to sand down and prime the frunk as some people call it. I've decided to leave the frunk, trunk and engine bay all flat black, I like the dull look, but believe me its not some crappy spray bomb job. I only want the best out of this project car! After I get the motor in and running this car will prolly spend a month in a trusted body shop getting a really nice (wet looking) paint job.

Jeff

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Before:

After:

Thats a lot more work than it looks, especially when you are doing it right!

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
woooo boy. How did I miss this thread. I was thinking of this engine last week wondering if anyone thought of doing a swap with this engine....

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Lowboost, are you going to do a "frankentrans" conversion of the E153? My guess is that the stock first gear ratio will be too steep for this motor, and will be useless (you will have to take off in second, if you don't change the box to a frankentranny). A lot of the V6 conversion (1mzfe) guys are doing this.

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cbulen what exactly is a frankentrans? Yes the E153 will be used, mostlikely from a Solara though...

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The frankentrans is a name someone on the forum came up with. If you check the V6 forums, you will find it. Basically, its the MR2 tranny case with the solara internal gears. This eliminates the problem of the shifter being on the wrong side of the tranny (since the solara is a tail dragger). YOu take both trannys to a tranny shop, tell them do put the internals of the solara tranny into the MR2 tranny (and you might as well get new synchros too). Some people have said that many tranny shops won't do this conversion, so you may hve to hunt around. I asked a tranny shop where I know the guys personally, and they didn't like the idea either.

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats funny I had solara gears in my Gen III swap, I decided I would try them out when a wrecked solara came into my posession, it worked great with the TRD diff. I didnt know the terminology, but yes i am using the solara gears with another TRD unit for this project as well.

Jeff

·
Registered
621 Posts
cbulen said:
The frankentrans is a name someone on the forum came up with. If you check the V6 forums, you will find it. Basically, its the MR2 tranny case with the solara internal gears. This eliminates the problem of the shifter being on the wrong side of the tranny (since the solara is a tail dragger). YOu take both trannys to a tranny shop, tell them do put the internals of the solara tranny into the MR2 tranny (and you might as well get new synchros too). Some people have said that many tranny shops won't do this conversion, so you may hve to hunt around. I asked a tranny shop where I know the guys personally, and they didn't like the idea either.
Can't you just drill a new hole and swap an MR2 shifter linkage in? That's what we do when swapping FWD C50-series trannys into MK1 MR2s...

-Doc

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Someone asked what the donor car was, it was a 92 lexus SC400.

I want to buy a GS300 now, just because I love how nice lexus is.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
I love how you show pics of the good side of the car, as if you pulled the motor from a perfectly good SC400 :)

Jeff, will that coolent outlet neck spin around so that you dont have to fab something up?

·
Top Secret MR2
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Node, I know the SC400 was so pretty... on that side hahaha. The coolent neck will not turn, however I am fabing up the water bridges, the pipe beside the thermostat is going to be blocked and plumbed on what use to be the back of the motor. I will take pics as soon as I get them back from my fabricator. The thermostat will be moved over and the neck will be turned to face the other side. You cant simply turn the neck, nothing is ever that easy.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.