MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Looks amazing! But...all that engine bay work, and you're not going to paint the transmission?
I'll be dropping the engine again in the future to design my Y pipe. I may paint it then idk. I find the "raw" transmission matches decently enough to the 2GR anyways. I'll also eventually be swapping it out for an E series trans so if its not painted by then, I will.

·
Registered
6,695 Posts
If youre hoping to make a beautiful harness then youve started out strong!
I love the look of that, with the blue fabric-ish coating on it. Im curious how this all looks in the end - the engine, the harness, the cream color etc. Im curious how much 'space' there will be in the end.
It's clean looking so far, but I know there's much more to put on

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I should point out the blue is actually just nylon rope, not the actual harness. But I am planning on running some colored expandable braid over the harness once its finished.

·
Premium Member
13,668 Posts
Using rope to map out the lengths like that is brilliant, looks great.

Reactions: Spei

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Got some progress done on the wiring harness. It's what I call a "psuedo conectric harness" as its not a fully true and proper concentrically twisted harness. Basically the differences between the two would be proper wire (TXL vs Tefzel), I have also mixed wire sizes between layers as opposed to going from biggest to smallest up the layers, and I'm also not using proper conductor counts per layer, just throwin stuff on. So far it's gotten me decent results for how quickly it's been made.

Blue Bird Art Wood Flooring

Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive design

Wood Finger Thumb Electrical wiring Nail

Bicycle tire Motor vehicle Wood Bicycle part Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Any thoughts of losing the ability to pick out wires via color? I honestly found the all white wire thing annoying in aerospace harnesses. Lots of pin to pin tracing and pulling to do any sort of wiring repairs, which while rare, are very time consuming or near impossible in a harness like that.

Typically at a motorsports level with concentric twisting, the harness is treated as a single end item to just throw away if something happens or you want to modify it. Not sure I'm anywhere close to that level of budget on my fun car. o_O

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Any thoughts of losing the ability to pick out wires via color? I honestly found the all white wire thing annoying in aerospace harnesses. Lots of pin to pin tracing and pulling to do any sort of wiring repairs, which while rare, are very time consuming or near impossible in a harness like that.

Typically at a motorsports level with concentric twisting, the harness is treated as a single end item to just throw away if something happens or you want to modify it. Not sure I'm anywhere close to that level of budget on my fun car. o_O
My choice of all white was more of a stylistic choice (and financial lol). Being shaved bay and all I wanted the cleanest look which led to an all solid color harness. I do lose the ability to pick out stuff visually which is a bit of a bummer but with any wiring diagnosis I do I always go by pin position anyways. Wiring repair is something I do hope I don't run into in the future, but if any pins are in need of replacing, every pin/crimp is at the ends of the harness so I won't have to pull any wires. Any splices will be directly under the boot where the bulkhead connectors are so if those go bad I just cut a single boot off. Again yes it isn't ideal but the looks and feel of the harness outweigh that for me in this situation.

Also I didn't know teams would just throw out a harness, but thinking about it more I can see why. As for modification, Ill most likely be leaving spare wire in certain areas where I can see myself adding things (mainly electro speedo).

Overall though I just went with the concentric style harness as it yields the cleanest look, also I have a hard time imagining making a harness bend and behave like one without the twisting. It being my first ever wiring harness I've ever made though has me a bit concerned as if all of this work will be fore nothing LOL. I guess we'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Super impressed by this. I painted my car myself and am doing an engine swap in my driveway, but I haven't even considered trying to do the harness myself. I know my limits.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My choice of all white was more of a stylistic choice (and financial lol). Being shaved bay and all I wanted the cleanest look which led to an all solid color harness. I do lose the ability to pick out stuff visually which is a bit of a bummer but with any wiring diagnosis I do I always go by pin position anyways. Wiring repair is something I do hope I don't run into in the future, but if any pins are in need of replacing, every pin/crimp is at the ends of the harness so I won't have to pull any wires. Any splices will be directly under the boot where the bulkhead connectors are so if those go bad I just cut a single boot off. Again yes it isn't ideal but the looks and feel of the harness outweigh that for me in this situation.

Also I didn't know teams would just throw out a harness, but thinking about it more I can see why. As for modification, Ill most likely be leaving spare wire in certain areas where I can see myself adding things (mainly electro speedo).

Overall though I just went with the concentric style harness as it yields the cleanest look, also I have a hard time imagining making a harness bend and behave like one without the twisting. It being my first ever wiring harness I've ever made though has me a bit concerned as if all of this work will be fore nothing LOL. I guess we'll find out soon enough.
It looks great, so props if you’re willing to forgo wire colors!

Motorsports harnesses are almost always Raychem DR-25 heat shrinked in the engine Bay Area, or anywhere exposed. Glue lined HS, so if there was a suspected problem, probably less labor to make a new one than even think about getting the heat shrink off and redoing it. In Aerospace the wires are never permanently covered like that. Usually fire sleeve or just nylon braided sleeve at most. Fighter jets were just wax string laced, no covering except for fire sleeve around the engine. In rockets coverings like fire sleeve are more common as the environment is obviously more severe. I guess the Motorsports thinking is lower chance of abrasion failure is better than serviceability?

Anyway, enjoying the build. Keep posting

21 - 40 of 97 Posts