MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
These are the two harnesses i have
The GEN3 wiring doesn't match my 1996 JDM GEN3 wiring for the white 15pin plug. Is this harness a AUDM one?
It appears you've posted 2 photos of the AUDM GEN2 harness part number. Any chance you have one of the GEN3 harness please?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Igniter? Do you mean coil? The main lead from the coil to the distributor might be different, the igniter has is a 5 pin black plug. The igniter is silver and is under the coil.
The plug that goes to the ignitor im pretty certain is different

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Thats the two harness numbers on those tags
Oh I see. You are holding the harness with the part number and then just the part number from the other.
17373 and 17370.
So... They are both AU harnesses but you have a JDM GEN3 ECU. You will have to confirm that the harness will work with the ECU, pinout could be different.

So based on this information I will need the 94-95 AU wiring diagram from you have it to confirm a few things. It doesn't match JDM.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
OK I have managed to source the information for 1 of the 2 white plugs. The 1 on the car with 12 pins. I'll provide you with pinouts once I have gathered more information. But based on this you will be connecting the wires from the 12 pin plug on the car to the 15pin plug on the engine harness.

It seems the ECU pinout for the GEN2 AUDM 3SGE for 89-91 matches the JDM wiring however this plug wiring does not match the GEN3 JDM 3SGE ECU you have. You will need to repin quite a few things and one main fuel pump control wire is in the wrong place. I'll elaborate on this further once I have a bit more information.

It would be great to get some clearer images of the grey ECU plugs. Similar to what you did before but just the wire colours will do. One of each side.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
[Oh far out thus is the biggest nightmare why is it so much drama im looosing my mind QUOTE="GDII, post: 6817448, member: 126663"]
Oh I see. You are holding the harness with the part number and then just the part number from the other.
17373 and 17370.
So... They are both AU harnesses but you have a JDM GEN3 ECU. You will have to confirm that the harness will work with the ECU, pinout could be different.

So based on this information I will need the 94-95 AU wiring diagram from you have it to confirm a few things. It doesn't match JDM.
[/QUOTE]
OK I have managed to source the information for 1 of the 2 white plugs. The 1 on the car with 12 pins. I'll provide you with pinouts once I have gathered more information. But based on this you will be connecting the wires from the 12 pin plug on the car to the 15pin plug on the engine harness.

It seems the ECU pinout for the GEN2 AUDM 3SGE for 89-91 matches the JDM wiring however this plug wiring does not match the GEN3 JDM 3SGE ECU you have. You will need to repin quite a few things and one main fuel pump control wire is in the wrong place. I'll elaborate on this further once I have a bit more information.

It would be great to get some clearer images of the grey ECU plugs. Similar to what you did before but just the wire colours will do. One of each side.
Ok no worries ill take them now. With the original set up i was getting plenty of fuel as it was leaking everywhere bad injector o ring it was cranking over but no spark i put that down to the shorting out harness also the coil had constant power when keys were not not in the ignition i assumed it had burnt it out

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Oh far out thus is the biggest nightmare why is it so much drama im looosing my mind
17373 and 17370.

Ok no worries ill take them now. With the original set up i was getting plenty of fuel as it was leaking everywhere bad injector o ring it was cranking over but no spark i put that down to the shorting out harness also the coil had constant power when keys were not not in the ignition i assumed it had burnt it out
This nightmare is due to the way Toyota changed things between the generations of MR2. They still do it now with their modern cars. And then the general public get their hands on the cars and mess with it without knowing what they are doing.
I understand that most people find this sort of thing stressful and I can imagine what you are going through with the wiring. It's hard to know what has been done on these old cars.
You can relax a little bit as it's not going to be too complicated to get it to work, just work through it systematically step by step and we can make your car run.

Once I have all the data collected and compiled we can join everything together and repin as required to make it work.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Ok good news. The ECU and the wiring for the 3 grey engine harness plugs matches except 1 wire. You will only need to repin the grey 22 pin plug from the body to the ECU here along with some other work we discussed earlier with the white 12 pin and 15 pin plugs that need to join.

Any chance you can get photos of the 2 white plugs in the engine bay fuse box next time you are at the car? All these photos are very helpful. Keep up the good work!!

21 - 40 of 61 Posts