MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi please help i bought a 1990 Sw20 that i was assured was running and all good as the car was to far for me to inspect i bought on the sellers word the car has a rev3 engine in it apparently but ecu and harness where original the car came with rev 3 harness and ecu i havecl changed these over but the white plug inside the boot doesnt fit together what do i do? The car was cranking with the rev1 ecu and loom but i then discovered it was in terrible shape and had poor joins everywhere and was causing all kinds of abnormalities throughout the car dash lights fans etc all behaving strangely can somebody please help me end the nightmare that confidently knows what to do i have spent countless hours reading misadvised theories and rants that are no help what so ever on hundreds of different sites please help

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The white plug will be different. Can you get photos of the plugs and wires for both the car and engine harness so I can figure them out for you. The grey body plug that goes into the ECU might also have the wrong pin out but I need to check this with the ECU pin outs.

Is this car a JDM import or an Australian new model?

For the photos if you take 3 of each plug/socket please. 1 of the front of the plug/socket, 1 of one side of the wiring so I can clearly see the wire colours and where they go and 1 of the other side of the wiring.

And that wiring on the photo definitely needs fixed if you are still using that in the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Car is a aus delivered that fried wiring is on the original harness i removed im going out to take photos now gime ten minutes thanks for your help really appreciated

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have both harnesses both ecu aswell the harness thats in the car now the rev 3 one i changed the alternator plug thats it it also has a extra plug that connects to the ecu as the harness and ecu have 1 extra compared to the original setup

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Awesome thank you. You'll have to give me a few days to map the data and possibly ask a few more questions so I can guide you to making it all work. The 1990 wiring is a bit different to the 94 as you can see but nothing we can't fix. Good that you have both harnesses as you'll need a plug or 2 off the old one to join to the car. If that harness it that ruined you won't mind cutting it up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The rev 3 has a different ignitor plug i have the ignitor for it and coil but they have different lead size i also have wiring diagrams you want me to send also?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I dont mind cutting joing whatever i just want it to work i dont even know if the motor is even any good yet ive had nothing but nightmares so far thanks again for your time

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
The rev 3 has a different ignitor plug i have the ignitor for it and coil but they have different lead size i also have wiring diagrams you want me to send also?
Which wiring diagrams do you have? I have USDM 91 and 93, JDM 89-91 and have access to the Australian wiring through a friend if I get stuck but based on my previous experience with wiring and the photos I should be all good. I've done a full harness swap for a JDM GEN3 3SGE to a GEN4 3SGTE. Working in a second GEN4 swap now. I know my way around these cars quite well with the engine wiring but each situation is different and I want to confirm everything before providing false information.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Igniter? Do you mean coil? The main lead from the coil to the distributor might be different, the igniter has is a 5 pin black plug. The igniter is silver and is under the coil.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
That GEN2 3SGE ECU is an Australian ECU. When you get a chance are you able to remove the ECU lid and get a few photos of the ECU board and pin outs so I can map them. I've not seen one before and it will be more accurate to take it from the actual ECU than the wiring diagram. I don't always trust them 100%.

The GEN3 3SGE is a JDM ECU so I have that information already.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts