MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW M3, 1989 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just starting a journal for the 89 MR2 SC that my family just received. This car was actually my grandfather's that he owned for a number of years. About 12 years ago my brother and stepdad actually replaced the engine in this for my grandfather. After finishing up about 90% of the swap, my grandfather took the car back and had let it sit since then. Thankfully most of the ports and whatnot on the engine were plugged up before letting it sit.

We're planning on doing some pretty extensive work. The engine has about 80k-ish miles and is going to be completely resealed/rebuilt, transmission rebuilt, replace brakes and suspension, interior refresh, new wheels/tires, and just about whatever it needs to be made into a nice example.

So to start, this car is not the nicest MR2 around. The paint is trash, every body panel has a ding or dent, and a lot of hack job repairs.

This exact car is what made me love MR2s in the first place. I've wanted this car since I was a kid so I'm really enjoying working on it so far and am looking forward to making it even nicer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just starting off with basic cleaning. I'm sure some will be confused as to why I'm putting this must effort into a pretty thrashed car. I honestly just like to do this is all, plus the sentimental value I guess.

Starting off by cleaning up the frunk area.

After cleaning the nooks and crannies. Removed those vent trim pieces to clean out and paint as well.

Removing the wiper arms plus bolts to repaint.

Some overspray on these headlight trim pieces. Removed to repaint and clean up the bolts.

These little trim pieces on the underside of the hood had overspray on them as well.

Cleaning up the radiator brackets.

All done!

Radiator is going to be replaced too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doing the same with the trunk area.

The trunk had a bunch of parts from the old engine including the supercharger. None of it looked to be in usable shape.

The trunk carpet was absolutely trashed, had to throw it out.

Removed the taillights to refresh and to replace the gaskets.

This car was backed into at some point causing that dent on the driver's side.

Polished the 3rd brake light.

Polishing the taillights while the trim dries. Left is before, right is after.

Reinstalled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Also cleaning up the wheel wells.

Bolts were all crusty. Deep cleaned them then painted them.

Deep cleaned the fender liners and then used a ceramic coating type of spray to bring them back to a deep black. Also painted the caliper. When I pull the calipers to rebuild them, I'll do a better job of painting them.

Pulled the seats out to deep clean the interior. Ordered a complete carpet replacement along with rep stock floormats. Just going to focus on cleaning everything else.

The seats are absolutely trashed. Torn up and sunbaked very bad.

The seat covers are going to be replaced soon, just cleaned them because I was bored. That's also my e46 M3 in the background.

·
Registered
50 Posts

Deep cleaned the fender liners and then used a ceramic coating type of spray to bring them back to a deep black. Also painted the caliper. When I pull the calipers to rebuild them, I'll do a better job of painting them.

Pulled the seats out to deep clean the interior. Ordered a complete carpet replacement along with rep stock floormats. Just going to focus on cleaning everything else.

The seat covers are going to be replaced soon, just cleaned them because I was bored. That's also my e46 M3 in the background.

Good luck with your project. I understand the addiction. There is nothing like the go-cart on steroids feel of the MR2 SC. I have seats if you are interested and or close. I am north of Los Angeles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice work. I've been off this board so long now that it posts differently than I remember so bear with me if my posts get wonky.
Around here there is no way to find an A-dub in a boneyard because the owners keep them if they get them. Glad you got one and want to bring it back to life (and an '89SC to boot!) Good luck with your project. I have seats if you are interested.
Plant Chair Grass Gas Tints and shades

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice work. I've been off this board so long now that it posts differently than I remember so bear with me if my posts get wonky.
Around here there is no way to find an A-dub in a boneyard because the owners keep them if they get them. Glad you got one and want to bring it back to life (and an '89SC to boot!) Good luck with your project. I have seats if you are interested.

Just looking to stick with leather to match the build sheet, I appreciate the offer though!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pressure washed the exterior to get rid of all the moss and whatnot growing on it.

Replacing the heavily worn pedal pad covers.

Domelamp lens had crumbled to literal dust. Replaced the lens and cleaned the domelamp.

Carpets torn out to replace with the new rockauto kit. Floor pans were thoroughly cleaned, no idea where the completed pic went.

All the trim pieces being detailed and ceramic coated. All the screws/bolts were cleaned up as well.

Carpet installed. Kit kinda sucked to work with, was also my first time doing a carpet install so it took a bit. Also new floor mats.

Replaced the door handle bezel on both sides and cleaned up the door panels a little more.

·
Registered
1988 MR2 Coupe
7 Posts
Good stuff! My NA had the same ecosystem in that wheel well bottom jam and rusted the driver's corner that I patched up since.

·
Registered
6 Posts
View attachment 75047
I’m looking for a pair of seats. What are you wanting for them [email protected]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts