MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Suspension is happening sooner than I thought, went to get a state inspection sticker with a high chance it wouldn't pass. All the bushings are dry rotted and the driver rear toe link is bent. Add to that the couple of body holes from rust, pitted rotors and I've got some work ahead of me to get it fully legal. So she'll sit for a bit while I wait on parts and do some body patching. Thankfully there's good coverage of the bushing work on YouTube for an amateur like me and parts available from twosrrus. Fingers crossed I won't be having to cut anything off for removal. But hopefully this takes care of the shaking when hitting 30 and 60 mph and a slight pull to the right.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
NH, citing it's around exhaust getting in the cabin...and small overly curious humans that may poke at the sharp metal only to lose bodily fluids. From what I gather, NH is pretty strict on the safety and emissions rules vs growing up in Maine with basically just emissions rules :p

·
Premium Member
'91 MR2 Turbo, '20 BRZ
412 Posts
Wow, amazing that they are that strict! Yeah the suspension pieces aren't too bad, and the poly-urethane bushings do a nice job of firming everything up. Hardest part is getting the old bushings out, which is one of the reasons to invest in a press, but there are decent kits for bushing extractors out there too. The only thing I didn't work on were the rear tow links. I gave up trying to get the stock ones loose for adjustment, and just went with the aftermarket version.

Also, if your bushings are dry rotted, very likely your ball joints may need replacing too (as once that boot wears out and lets dirt/etc in, it starts to wear. Had a buddy where his popped right out while driving and suddenly looked like one of those over-cambered cartoon cars! So I'd inspect those too (at the very least). Also, convenient to do whilst doing the other bushings.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Anybody poking around in a car that isn't theirs deserves to lose body fluids. My car is in good shape so I'll have to poke the holes to vent those fluids if I catch them.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts