MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks ,

So i am looking to purchase a 1986 Toyota MR2 thats located in Canada ....Im trying to find out what the differences were between a USA model compared to Canadian models ....I know one big difference is the mileage and mph are in KM ....This particular model is a 2 tone version and according to the seller its original paint and never been repainted ...it does have the "Toyota" logo on the front bumper but its MISSING the "Screaming chicken " decal that was on the rear bumper starting on the 86 MR2 ....Did Canadian model MR2's not have the Screaming Chicken decal on the rear bumper ??? ...Maybe there is a Canadian Forum Member in here that can shed some light on the subject ...Thanks

·
Registered
182 Posts
Not sure about 86, but my Canadian 89 has the screaming chicken and pinstripe on the rear bumper.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe someone can answer this for me ..Not sure if specific to Canadian Market since the 86 MR2 i bought is from Canada ... I noticed in other images of 86 MR2's that the HEADRESTS are cloth like the seats but the 86 i just bought has LEATHER/or VINYL Headrests ??? see attached pictures ....

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Maybe someone can answer this for me ..Not sure if specific to Canadian Market since the 86 MR2 i bought is from Canada ... I noticed in other images of 86 MR2's that the HEADRESTS are cloth like the seats but the 86 i just bought has LEATHER/or VINYL Headrests ??? see attached pictures ....
You have a pair of mismatched seats and headrests. All seats no matter where the car is from has matching cloth/leather. It shouldn’t be too hard to find the correct cloth headrests.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Hi Folks ,

So i am looking to purchase a 1986 Toyota MR2 thats located in Canada ....Im trying to find out what the differences were between a USA model compared to Canadian models ....I know one big difference is the mileage and mph are in KM ....This particular model is a 2 tone version and according to the seller its original paint and never been repainted ...it does have the "Toyota" logo on the front bumper but its MISSING the "Screaming chicken " decal that was on the rear bumper starting on the 86 MR2 ....Did Canadian model MR2's not have the Screaming Chicken decal on the rear bumper ??? ...Maybe there is a Canadian Forum Member in here that can shed some light on the subject ...Thanks
All MR2s had the screaming chicken on the bumper.

I noticed the side moldings and pinstripes are also missing. Either your car was painted and these parts were deleted or it really is original paint but these items were removed a looooong time ago. My guess is that it’s been painted.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
You have a pair of mismatched seats and headrests. All seats no matter where the car is from has matching cloth/leather. It shouldn’t be too hard to find the correct cloth headrests.

Those Headrests were there when the original seller bought the car off the showroom floor 33 years ago ..I am thinking its a dealer installed perk back in the day .....i actually like them ....

Quote Skydivedan "All MR2s had the screaming chicken on the bumper.

I noticed the side moldings and pinstripes are also missing. Either your car was painted and these parts were deleted or it really is original paint but these items were removed a looooong time ago. My guess is that it’s been painted."

The screaming Chicken was not on 1985 Model year MR2 ....

The MR2 i just bought has ORIGINAL Paint ! It has never been repainted ..Again the ORIGINAL owner Lilly bought it off the showroom floor 33 years ago WITHOUT the side moldings and pinstripe and screaming chicken ...I questioned that also but did some digging and research and to my surprise i found out that something like that was a dealer
installed option back in the day ....go figure ....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So EXCITED !!!....The MR2 was picked up Yesterday in Kamloops , BC ...It took the Top Bunk of the trailer ....I had requested from the Seller Lilly to send me pics as it was being loaded on the trailer and also a picture of the Driver with the 3 keys and original Insurance/Title document in his hand that he has to bring me ... There is a photo of Lilly (the Owner) and her partner Peter who washed the car yesterday standing beside her "Baby" before being loaded on the Truck ..Its Clean now but i know its going to be one dirty ass car after its 2,300 mile Journey to New York ..

Attachments

·
Registered
402 Posts
Those Headrests were there when the original seller bought the car off the showroom floor 33 years ago ..I am thinking its a dealer installed perk back in the day .....i actually like them ....

Quote Skydivedan "All MR2s had the screaming chicken on the bumper.

I noticed the side moldings and pinstripes are also missing. Either your car was painted and these parts were deleted or it really is original paint but these items were removed a looooong time ago. My guess is that it’s been painted."

The screaming Chicken was not on 1985 Model year MR2 ....

The MR2 i just bought has ORIGINAL Paint ! It has never been repainted ..Again the ORIGINAL owner Lilly bought it off the showroom floor 33 years ago WITHOUT the side moldings and pinstripe and screaming chicken ...I questioned that also but did some digging and research and to my surprise i found out that something like that was a dealer
installed option back in the day ....go figure ....
You’re right there were no chickens on 85s as they had black bumpers.

What is your source for the information stating that the pinstripes and headrests were dealer options? I’ve referred to the original 86 sales brochure and that isn’t listed as an option.

I think it would be super interesting if in fact these were options as that would be news to me. I’m Canadian and have been an MR2 owner for 28 years and have never seen mismatched headrests or an 86-89 without stripes, chickens and moldings on an original car (unless they were removed or the car was painted). It makes no sense to have mismatched headrests... it makes more sense that the original headrests went missing and they put those in. It also makes sense if they peeled off the pinstripes and moldings at the dealer... hence no paint damage if it was done when the car was new.

Whatever the case may be... glad to see an excited new MR2 owner. Shipping it to New York is quite the commitment.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Since it's a done deal, I sincerely hope it all works out. I have owned 2 Mark 1's in the past, love those things, man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts