MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1985 Toyota MR2 NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is with a heavy heart that I must list for sale my 1985 Toyota MR2 NA. 5 speed manual, 126,801 km (~78,790 mi). Car has been stored for most of its 36 year life, and driven only a handful of times a year. I am the second owner, and have put about 30,000 km on it since I acquired it in 2009. Presently in storage in London, Ontario, Canada. Asking price is $9000 CAD which is about $7100 USD with current exchange rates.

I'm new to this site, so please be patient if you PM me.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
Welcome to the board. Looks quite clean. Being in the northeast, you'll be asked about any rust in the wheel arches and rocker panels. That clean un-rusted radiator is a good sign, though.
Do you know if the seats have been replaced? USDM '85 MR2s came with color match inserts - red cars had bright red cloth where yours are silvery/white. Perhaps this wasn't the case for Canadian market cars.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
FWIW: My white '85 MR2 (that I bought in Toronto in 1988) had the same seats as the OP's car. And the red `86 MR2 that I owned in Canada also had the same seats. To my knowledge, the seats were never swapped.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
@sarnodude - that's all consistent. Only 85's had color matched inserts, but of course the white cars had the silvery/white inserts we see here. For 86 all MK1s regardless of color came with the white inserts.
[edit]
Actually BLUE cars in 86 came with blue seat inserts. All other colors came with white inserts.

·
Moroccan Gold Imports
1,658 Posts
These match the seats in my 85, but it is a white car ;). My blue 86 had blue inserts but perhaps a previous owner swapped them in?

I would grab this in a heartbeat if I was local, simply because it is a hardtop model. Even if I was closer, I cannot get over the border to get it! It looks funny without the black strip on the front lower lip as if it is riding high off the ground.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota MR2 NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey all, it's been about a month but wanted to say thanks for all the kind words. I was a bit hesitant to post, but it seems this community, unlike some others, is very friendly and uplifting.

To my knowledge the seats are original. I tried contacting the dealership at which all the work was performed but as it's been nearly a decade since it was there, the dealership purged all the history. I don't know where else to go to find a complete service history.

As for salted roads, it might have been on a salted road once during my ownership. After that day, it was immediately taken off the road, cleaned, and has been in heated storage ever since.

It's coming out later this week for a new set of tires and maybe a new cleaning. Also doing battery, plugs, oil change, etc.

Great community here; hope you're all enjoying the Easter Long Weekend, or whatever you do in your respective countries!

·
Registered
1985 Toyota MR2 NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would grab this in a heartbeat if I was local, simply because it is a hardtop model. Even if I was closer, I cannot get over the border to get it! It looks funny without the black strip on the front lower lip as if it is riding high off the ground.
Maybe we can figure something out? 🙃

Is the black strip of which you speak something I should have? Again, since being in my possession it has never been there! Do you know if it was standard or optional?

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,228 Posts
The "black strip" is the lower lip spoiler - about a 2" wide plastic (urethane) extension to the metal airdam at the front of the car. You can see the lip spoiler on this blue 85 MR2 that is now listed on BaT:

BTW, if you could take a picture of the VIN tag at the bottom of the driver door, I think we could decode that to figure out the original seat color.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi cuvauto, nice car. I did send you a PM as I'm interested in the car. I have a friend in London, Ontario who could take a look at the car on my behalf.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota MR2 NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The "black strip" is the lower lip spoiler - about a 2" wide plastic (urethane) extension to the metal airdam at the front of the car. You can see the lip spoiler on this blue 85 MR2 that is now listed on BaT:

BTW, if you could take a picture of the VIN tag at the bottom of the driver door, I think we could decode that to figure out the original seat color.
I watched that auction. I've been closely watching all AW11 auctions over the past 6 months in fact, in preparation for this sale.

I've attached a photo of the vin.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota MR2 NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi cuvauto, nice car. I did send you a PM as I'm interested in the car. I have a friend in London, Ontario who could take a look at the car on my behalf.
Yes, GBS, my apologies for replying so late. I just sent you a novel and I'll get you some photos asap.

·
Registered
3 Posts
FWIW: My white '85 MR2 (that I bought in Toronto in 1988) had the same seats as the OP's car. And the red `86 MR2 that I owned in Canada also had the same seats. To my knowledge, the seats were never swapped.
I have the exact same car, red 1985 Canadian MR2 that I purchased new, has the same silver/black seats.

·
Registered
1985 Toyota MR2 NA
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everyone, the car has sold to a very nice new owner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts