MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post here, I'm looking for some help...

I found a nice set of wheels I love but theyre 17x7.5 +40, I know the flush fit is around 29 & 16 staggered.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this size or know if it works, I'm thinking I might need a 1" spacer on the rear, & maybe a 10mm on the front... Obviously I may be wrong seeing the wheel is pretty narrow.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help, I'm glad to be an mr2 owner this community looks great!

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
If you go w/ a 10mm spacer, remember to change out your wheel studs for longer units, otherwise you won't be able to get enough turns on the lug. Extra fat spacers like you're proposing usually have their own built-in lugs.

You could mount 215/40 front and 235/40 rear for tires. 235/40 is recommended for 8" or wider wheels, but you should be OK with a 7.5".

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For sure!

My biggest question is if I'll need a big spacer or if the wheel will be able to go on without hitting suspension components?

I don't need a "super flush fit" or anything I just want it to be functional, I even plan on raising my coilovers because I'm hoping to have more of a "function look."

Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you think it'd be too much of a difference to be worth the buy?

I'm buying these wheels online so once I pull the trigger I'm stuck with them, just wanna make sure I'm not going to end up with a super janky fit.

Sorry about all these questions, and thanks for your patience.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I don't know what they cost or what wheel they are, so I can't tell you if it's worth it. You'll have to judge that.

But given your specs, I can confidently state that 17x7.5" +40 are generic Honda fitment wheels that you're mounting on a car that came with staggered wheels & tires from the factory. Most likely these new wheels are just another Chinese cheapie set, so nothing special.

But with spacers and a staggered tire fit you can make it look good. Don't forget to get hubcentric rings to avoid wheel wobble.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help, you're right they're not a terribly expensive wheel but with my current money situation its still a pretty big deal for me.

·
Premium Member
11,956 Posts
What is your goal here? Is this a performance upgrade, an appearance upgrade, or do you just need replacement wheels at a low price? I suggest getting wheels that fit, if possible. I think that one would ultimately regret getting ill-fitting wheels for cosmetic purposes.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
I wouldn't call these ill-fitting. With stock suspension they'll bolt right on and look fine - not great, but decent. With coils they'll need spacers though.

Many, like me, think the stock 6/7 +45 offset wheels are ill-fitting. But I know Toyota did that to accommodate snow chains in different countries.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hi guys, this is my first post here, I'm looking for some help...

I found a nice set of wheels I love but theyre 17x7.5 +40, I know the flush fit is around 29 & 16 staggered.
You will have issues in the front. I tried running a 17x8.5 +30 and it was literally hitting the coilover. I could not even mount the wheel. So I bought a 15mm spacer and managed to bring it away from the coilover. Your 7.5 will only be slightly further from the coil than mine but I think it will still hit the coil as you try mounting the wheel. I provided a reference below so you get an idea. Just make sure to ignore the suspension that they show on this image. For our car, the set up is totally different. Just look at the comparison between my wheels(Orange) and the wheels you plan on running(Green).

The first picture shows my 8.5 + 30 compared to your 7.5 + 40. Notice how on there the coil is far away from the wheel. This is what I said ignore the coil and just compare the wheels. At 8.5 +30 my wheel was literally touching the coil. So the second image shows you how I sit now that I have a 15 mm spacer. I am no longer touching the coil but this also shows that your 7.5 + 40 will not work without a spacer. But with a 10mm spacer your 7.5 will sit where my 8.5 sits internally. Keep in mind that you will need to extend your studs if you use a 10mm. Hope this helps

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
I'll chime in on this, I run a 17x7.5 up front and a 17x8.5 out back. All are +41 offset. I have Tein HR coils on the rear and have TRD springs on the front. No issues with rubbing the struts on any side.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I'll chime in on this, I run a 17x7.5 up front and a 17x8.5 out back. All are +41 offset. I have Tein HR coils on the rear and have TRD springs on the front. No issues with rubbing the struts on any side.
Really? +41? In the reference I provided above you can see how similar his 7.5 +40 would sit compared to my 8.5 +30 that did not clear the coil. If you plug in the numbers your +41 would sit where my 3.5 +30 sat(touching the coil). But this is probably with my suspension. Your suspension might have gave you the clearance so more power to you. I have BC coilovers. I'll provide an image of where my 8.5 +30 sat before spacers and after.

8.5 no spacers.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
195 Posts
Really? +41? In the reference I provided above you can see how similar his 7.5 +40 would sit compared to my 8.5 +30 that did not clear the coil. If you plug in the numbers your +41 would sit where my 3.5 +30 sat(touching the coil). But this is probably with my suspension. Your suspension might have gave you the clearance so more power to you. I have BC coilovers. I'll provide an image of where my 8.5 +30 sat before spacers and after.
Yeah they're +41 all the way around. The stickers in the barrel say so at least. I haven't really paid any attention to clearance to the suspension but they fit fine.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
...I have Tein HR coils on the rear and have TRD springs on the front. No issues with rubbing the struts on any side.
Rubbing issues almost never occur in the rear w/ coils, it's always in the front - and you don't have coils in the front. 7.5" +40-ish up front w/ coils will more than likely rub the strut w/o spacers. But he can always try it without first.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Rubbing issues almost never occur in the rear w/ coils, it's always in the front - and you don't have coils in the front. 7.5" +40-ish up front w/ coils will more than likely rub the strut w/o spacers. But he can always try it without first.

This is true right here. It's worth a shot, personally though I'd wait to find some wheels of better sizes.

Here's my setup for reference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It's worth a shot, personally though I'd wait to find some wheels of better sizes.
Hey guys sorry, I was away yesterday which seems to be when everyone got back to me :laugh:

Thanks for all the input, I've decided to wait until I save up a bit before going after some new wheels, and then hopefully get myself a nice staggered set, maybe even new wheels :surprise: LOL

Seriously I appreciate all of the input, and I even learned some new things!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Hey guys sorry, I was away yesterday which seems to be when everyone got back to me :laugh:

Thanks for all the input, I've decided to wait until I save up a bit before going after some new wheels, and then hopefully get myself a nice staggered set, maybe even new wheels :surprise: LOL

Seriously I appreciate all of the input, and I even learned some new things!
Good choice. I personally am not a fan of anything above +25 offset. It sits weak for my taste. I always aim for a minimum of wheels flush with the fenders or slightly passed the fenders. I never like how wheels look when they're sitting inside the fender which is what you tend to get with any offsets above +25. The wheel width obviously has a lot to do with this as well. So the offset I prefer all depends on the wheel width for me. Here is an image of my current wheel setup. I'm running staggered and on BC coilovers.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good choice. I personally am not a fan of anything above +25 offset. It sits weak for my taste. I always aim for a minimum of wheels flush with the fenders or slightly passed the fenders. I never like how wheels look when they're sitting inside the fender which is what you tend to get with any offsets above +25. The wheel width obviously has a lot to do with this as well. So the offset I prefer all depends on the wheel width for me. Here is an image of my current wheel setup. I'm running staggered and on BC coilovers.
Hey man! I thought I'd keep you updated on my new wheel decision.

I'm also running BC racing coilovers (love them so far but I need to adjust the rear up slightly)

I stumbled across an mr2 club here in Canada, talked to a few guys there and turned out that one of the members recently got new wheels for his sw20... His old wheels are 16x7 16x8 VR/Rays TE37's. Just my luck that as soon as I turned down a bad set of wheels, a good set of used wheels popped up in my price range!

Really excited to get them, should be here in a week!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts