MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always wondered what the difference between the 2 were. I'm looking into turboing and I've seen that the 14b is quite a performer aside from the T25. I'm looking for what there Pros and Cons are to make my final decision. I plan on drag racing and doing some auto crossing type of stuff. Lets hear some opinions!

·
Registered
44 Posts
14b is way better, has bigger wheels and is more efficient then the
t25.
T25 spools a little faster but not by much.

·
Registered
217 Posts
14b flows better than a t25...however it depends on the motor you're putting it on, if you are putting it on a low comp setup (i.e. gze) then go with a 14b since you'll need more boost for the same hp levels, whereas if you turbo a hi comp motor (4age, 20v, etc.) then a t25 is more than adequate. On DSMs the t25 can push 250hp on a well setup car, and a 14b can do around 300. This is on VERY GOOD setups. The t25 will spool earlier than a 14b, and is generally cheaper on the used market and more plentiful, so you can blow one once a month and it'll still be the cheaper of your maintanance bill. The 14b is a hell of a turbo for a 1.6 though...but you better have the supporting mods to take advantage of it.

Mike

·
Registered
412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll be putting this turbo onto a late largeport 4age. i'll probably drop in gze rods and pistons if I can.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I've been running a DSM t25 in my car for a few months right now, and it's lots o fun. I have a 14b waiting in the wings, and I may drop it in within the next few weeks. They were both very cheap -- under $100 each.

With my 4gze at 8:1, the t25 can push 15 psi up to about 5800 rpm and then boost starts to drop a bit -- down to about 12 by redline. I'm hoping the 14b can push a full 18 psi past 7k rpm. However, I expect to trade a later spool for the higher boost.

If you plan to run 14 psi or less, then the T25 is more than adequate and faster spooling. It's really a great turbo for our cars.

·
Registered
398 Posts
maybe a similar comparison?????

mann said:
14b flows better than a t25...however it depends on the motor you're putting it on, if you are putting it on a low comp setup (i.e. gze) then go with a 14b since you'll need more boost for the same hp levels, whereas if you turbo a hi comp motor (4age, 20v, etc.) then a t25 is more than adequate. On DSMs the t25 can push 250hp on a well setup car, and a 14b can do around 300. This is on VERY GOOD setups. The t25 will spool earlier than a 14b, and is generally cheaper on the used market and more plentiful, so you can blow one once a month and it'll still be the cheaper of your maintanance bill. The 14b is a hell of a turbo for a 1.6 though...but you better have the supporting mods to take advantage of it.

Mike
yeah, but if you turbo a hi-comp, it'll spool that 14b as quick as a low comp will spool that t25 :p ...the other advantage to using a bigger turbo on a hi-comp motor is lower intake temps for equivalent boost levels, which is critical on a hi-comp motor since combustion temps are usually higher.

I've ran 3 different sized IHI turbo on my car (8.9:1 comp, smallport) , the differences between the smallest and largest sound similar to what might be expected from a t25 and 14b. The smallest flowed ~250 cfm, the largest ~350 cfm. The smallest would hit strong boost (5-6psi) around 2500 in 2nd gear, the largest around 2800, so the difference really is negligible as far as spool is concerned. I have NOT pushed either turbo past 13 psi, they both had no problem holding that boost level to 7500 rpm. The difference between running the smallport head and the largeport with TVIS removed was a solid 800-1000 rpm on spool so keep the TVIS if you are going largeport! :)

Neil

·
Registered
382 Posts
ya i got a largeport, and thinking about turboing later on, so i was thinking the t25, with a liquid cooled ic, running no more then 8 psi as it is a daily driver and i got no other car lol. i got a light weight flywheel and stage 3 clutch so not worried about the clutch going out anytime soon, but i will have the s/c injector and fuel pump, does this sound like a good setup or??am i missing something, i will be using the 4agze ecu usdm for my engine management.

thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts