MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Sure it is. The 20B might be a bit long, but I don't think it would be. Go to nopistons.com and look in the engine swaps section, there's a few FWD rotaries out there, so no doubt a mid-engine application would work as well. In fact I'm a little baffled that no one has done this yet.

I'll take a Renesis :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
20b is extremely hard to do even into a fc/fd rx7. another problem is finding a workable transmission, unless of course you want to have an automatic 20b mr2 (the cosmo, the car in japan that comes with the 20b only comes with an automatic tranny). a turbo 2 transmission from a 13b will work, and also i believe a T5 transmission from a mustang will work as well, its in an issue of... ahh... sport compact car, i think. An FC with a 20b had a t5 transmission. Altough, i hope money isn't an issue, since that swap cost 20k+ when it was all over with.

lol, and people put LS1s into FDs because that swap costs a little bit less than a new 13b tt swap does, along with having a crapload more torque :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
blk mr2 said:
like the topic says... do you think this is possible? money is not an issue.

thanks. -jay
Im sure it will. Where I live we have a lot of spare time, so one of my buddies dropped a carbed 12a out of a 1st gen RX-7 into an 87 MR-2 shell. he said it was the biggest pain in the butt, but it runs like a top and is built like a tank. I am no stranger to rotaries and know from experience that they are next to impossible to blow up. go ahead and do it. just be sure not to cut corners on mounting and adapting parts.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
blackdegree said:
20b is extremely hard to do even into a fc/fd rx7. another problem is finding a workable transmission, unless of course you want to have an automatic 20b mr2 (the cosmo, the car in japan that comes with the 20b only comes with an automatic tranny). a turbo 2 transmission from a 13b will work, and also i believe a T5 transmission from a mustang will work as well, its in an issue of... ahh... sport compact car, i think. An FC with a 20b had a t5 transmission. Altough, i hope money isn't an issue, since that swap cost 20k+ when it was all over with.
mounting the engine longitudinally in an MR2 would be a world of trouble (and expense) and all the tranny suggestions you gave would require that.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I've installed a 20b in an FC. Major PITA! Its fast, forsure, but a 13b with the right turbo is just as fast. Now in an MR2? shooot, if you can make it work, let me know because I would be all over that. I always thought Mazda should step up an build a real sports car and do this very idea.

BTW, an S4(87-88) or S5(89-91) tranny will bolt to a 20b. Even the FD's and RX-8 trannies will. The S5 tranny out of the FC is the most durable. FD's aren't as good in my experience. I started have tranny quirks around 600whp, and that was with an OS Giken twin plate clutch.

Build it!!!!! get out your wallet.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
In the past one of the big problems was finding a fwd tranny to use that will also clear the cv shafts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts