MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: well after working on my project car for over a year now.My first run was a [email protected] then at my next try run halfway down the track I just heard a BOOM,smoke was all over the rear of my engine and compression was gone.Sounds like a hole in my block or something.I haven't checked it out yet but pretty sure that the engine or turbo blew.

Mods were just a homemade intake,all the cats gutted and boost was set at 16 psi.Pressure sensor was unplugged during the run.

After reading so many posts all these years I thought I was safe at 16psi???I guess now I will run it at stock or under 15psi to be safe.Its gonna be another year until I can get the car up and running again.Sucks that after 2 years of working on it I have to start all over again.Just got insurance and plates for it so I'm gonna just return the tags and cancel the insurance since it will be on 4 blocks and out of commission for another year :thumbdown

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
wow, that sucks. Do you have a boost gauge? since you had the pressure sensor unplugged it could be that you overboosted on the ct26 (? <- I also dono what year engine you have, gen2 or gen3). Did you have the pressure sensor unplugged on the previous run? or on the street? i've ran my car at around 15psi, somtimes it hit 15.5 for a couple secs but dropped quickly. But i suggest an IC before going with 16psi full time.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes,I did have a boost gauge that I was watching closely It would spike and do 19 psi at times(only once or twice)But as soon as the bosst gauge hit over 16psi I let the throttle go.I have a gen 2 3sgte.Pressure sensor have been unplugged since the swap.If I reconnect it boost wouldn't hit over the stock limit of 7or8 psi.

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
diconnecting the sensor gets rid of fuel cut, not limiting boost. the t-vsv (whatever the purple thing that you see from the bottom of the car is called) is what will put the car in limp mode but that's around 5-6 psi and only if you didn't cap it off. With a boost controller set at 16psi with the boost pressure sensor connected will hit fuel cut all day long (just over 12psi i believe, like 12.1-12.5).

You said it was a swap car, was the fuel pump swapped as well or did you keep the NA pump?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Car is and was a turbo model with a newer jdm 2nd gen 3sgte.Fuel pump is still stock with 150k miles.I don't think the Fuel pump was the problem as it ran perfectly after the new engine.I guess I asked alittle too much from the engine.I haven't looked at the engine or turbo yet.But I'm hoping it's just the turbo that blew.I'm gonna check it out this weekend and see.Oil is everywhere so I can't see where the true oil is leaking from.A friend of mine told me it's most likely the turbo since his when the same way.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I agree with the boost spike. Even if your boost gauge didn't see it (gauge reaction time?), you could have still spiked it. You said that you saw 19psi a couple of times. It could have went higher than that and things flew apart before you noticed. I dunno. I suppose that if any good came of this, it's that I will insure that every safety device is installed and working when I do my swap. But then, I don't really push my cars that much, so I may not have that to worry about.

Really sucks to hear about it. A broken deuce is a sad situation. I'd rather see a broken down Ferrari, and I mean that.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
15 psi is where the CT26s efficiency runs out.

What type of fuel were you running?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kevinp said:
I agree with the boost spike. Even if your boost gauge didn't see it (gauge reaction time?), you could have still spiked it. You said that you saw 19psi a couple of times. It could have went higher than that and things flew apart before you noticed. I dunno. I suppose that if any good came of this, it's that I will insure that every safety device is installed and working when I do my swap. But then, I don't really push my cars that much, so I may not have that to worry about.

Really sucks to hear about it. A broken deuce is a sad situation. I'd rather see a broken down Ferrari, and I mean that.
Very true,that maybe the gauge reaction time on the boost gauge wasn't working 100%.Engine ran fine for 2 months of just daily driving(pressure sensor was plugged in and I ran it hard,day after day.I knew that unplugging it and turning the boost up was gonna cause problems but didnt think it would end the engine this quick. :mad:

J&H gas was 93 pump unless I found a sunoco 94

·
Registered
565 Posts
your trap speed seems quite high considering your still on the stock ct26.
you must have boosted over 16psi, probably 19psi on that run and hence done some damage to your engine.

106mph on a ct26 WOW!!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
seanix said:
your trap speed seems quite high considering your still on the stock ct26.
you must have boosted over 16psi, probably 19psi on that run and hence done some damage to your engine.

106mph on a ct26 WOW!!

Yeah..had to be over 16psi? Ive ran 16psi on the ct26 with catback exhaust and went [email protected] 106mph is alot more!

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
106 should be touching 12s, haha, so like i said in my first post, probably spiked it and held constant psi through most of the gear.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
bufferdan said:
Yeah..had to be over 16psi? Ive ran 16psi on the ct26 with catback exhaust and went [email protected] 106mph is alot more!

I believe that it could have spiked and went to 19 psi.I have to double check the engine over again to see what is broken and what isn't.The oil is coming from under the turbo so hopfully its just the hose from hell.

Last time i heard a pop and boom when hitting full boost at 16 psi the afm pipe connecting to the turbo bustted a hole and ,made a real loud popping sound.So hopfully thats just the problem.

105-106 you know how our speedo needles jumps up and down at times so it could have been either 105-107mph

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pentaxis said:
He did say he was running the NA Fuel pump.. Thats been proven to be a big no no...
Where did it state that I was running a N/A fuel pump???
The car is a and always was a turbo model :rolleyes:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Boz said:
106 should be touching 12s, haha, so like i said in my first post, probably spiked it and held constant psi through most of the gear.

I believe with the interior completely stripped and whatever weight I can remove from the engine bay such as the a/c,power steering,etc

I could hit high 12's with the stock motor

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
formers2k said:
The oil is coming from under the turbo so hopfully its just the hose from hell.
Hopefully not, since there shouldn't be any oil going through or coming out of the HFH... it's a coolant hose.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
boostd4 said:
Hopefully not, since there shouldn't be any oil going through or coming out of the HFH... it's a coolant hose.
Sorry not the hose I was talking about.Hopefully it's just the oil return hose to the oil pan since most of the oil is under the turbo/manifold

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
could also be the oil feed i suppose, when mine cracked it bled oil on my exhaust piping causing smoke. But this doens't relaly explain the "boom" sound you heard.

disassemble it over the weekend and let's found out what's going on :smile:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts