MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of swaping my mk1 triangles with 7 spoke alloys on my dead 93 miata. The triangles weigh about 15lbs and the 7 spokes are around 12.5lbs. I have heard that 1 pound of unsprung weight is equal to about 8 pounds of sprung weight, is this true? Has anyone here done this switch? Could you feel a difference?

·
Premium Member
13,153 Posts
I have heard that its 8 to 1, I have also heard 4 to 1 and I think i have heard something crazy like 16 to 1 thrown arround. It probably varies to be honest. For example, it may be 8 to 1 with regards to handling, and only 4 to 1 as far as acceleration and braking are concerend (I really have no idea, Im just throwing things out there).

Regardless, reducing unsprung weight is always a good idea. I don't know how much you would notice 1.5lbs per corner.

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
When I had my prelude the stock rims were about 19lbs. Then I switched to some Spoon SW388s which were about 12lbs. At first I didn't notice much difference, but in the upper rpm ranges the differences were quite impressive. Felt so much faster at least for me.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts