MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished rebuilding my engine and man was it running great.... until...

100 miles into driving I started hearing a faint clacking above 3000 rpms... I pulled the pan tonight and take a look what wonderful treasures i found...

1. I know the bearings are shot... but does the crank look ok?

2. Since i'm not much of an expert builder, are there any tips i should follow when installing bearings? I'm assuming that my workmanship was at fault here.

I know i oiled the surface of the bearings and torqued everything right, but from then to actually starting the car was about 1 month and even then the car was started without priming (I pulled the plug wires and was going to crank to prime but the plug wires managed to weezel their way back to the plugs and she started right up.. oppsss)

Please help this novice way in over his head :shakeshea

·
Registered
557 Posts
I don't think those look spun. They get all hammered out when they go bad. Those look like you just getting them broken in.

Maybe you put the wrong size in.

·
Registered
5,287 Posts
The bearings look pretty good. What made you feel that was the problem rod? Now that you have gone this far, get some plastigauge and use it on the rod bearings. It will show you how much clearance there is between bearing and shaft, if the shaft is round.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmm really? Well this is good news to me then :p I'm such a novice i don't even know what a spun bearing really looks like. I guess i am just worried that these bearings look worse than the ones with 150,000+ miles looked like. But i do agree its probably because of the dry start... Just cause i'm anal i'm just going to replace them again anyways.... whats another $50...

·
Registered
430 Posts
did you use a good assembly lube such as a Clevite product when you assembled the engine? The noise could also be a poor valve adjustment, did you measure out shim thicknesses and perform an adjustment when you overhauled the engine?

-bill

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
assembly lube? ah oh.. I used Clevite bearings but just coated them with 10w30.. wrong?

Oh and a shop handled the headwork.. guess if the noise stays i'll have to go back to them. If its out of measure is it hurting anything or just being annoying?

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
geha13 said:
assembly lube? ah oh.. I used Clevite bearings but just coated them with 10w30.. wrong?
yes. the oil wont sit on the bearings long enough.. it'll drip off and you'll have a nasty dry start.. assembly lube is like a grease. its thick enough to stay on the bearing and not move.. provides alot of startup protection.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts