MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to install an n2o kit pretty soon and I decided to look into what replacing my clutch will cost me because I am pretty sure I am going to wear out my stock toyota clutch that is only like 12,000 miles old. I was at the dealer today and asked about how long it takes and was qouted about 10 hours! Thats alot of labor cost right there....

Does anyone know about how much it costs to buy and have an aftermarket clutch installed? I mean like what price range I am considering here. Im just interested. Thanks alot in advance

jason

·
Registered
173 Posts
u need to find a mechanic you can trust man, it only should take a couple of hours at most to change clutch

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
have you guys ever tried to change the MR2's clutch? 8 hours may be a bit on the higher side, but it is not a "couple hours" job if you're doing it yourself.

·
Registered
5,392 Posts
If you have air tools and a lift, it can be done in a "couple hours". If you have hand tools and jack stands, then yes at least 4-6 hours.

BTW, Nate how do you like your ct20b from Adam? You get it on yet?

·
Registered
633 Posts
Well coming from the dealer world I would personally charge that for a transaxle especially. I have taken mine out before and it can be a pain in the butt linning up the clutch to the input shaft. I would take it to a dealer then any other independant. Oh and be lucky you dont have a bmw you need a clutch on. 105 an hour we charge, and for a clutch, on lets say a newer car without all the rust, about 10 hours.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
93smgturbo said:
If you have air tools and a lift, it can be done in a "couple hours". If you have hand tools and jack stands, then yes at least 4-6 hours.

BTW, Nate how do you like your ct20b from Adam? You get it on yet?
IF only i could tell you... its just been sitting at my parents house for a while.. *adam shipped it FAST.. props to him* and.. well, hopefully i'll have it installed this weekend *hard to find rides 300mi to your home*.. I will give you a full report then = )

- Nate

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
i was quoted ~4 hours by a shop near me but the guy had worked on MANY mr2s so he knew what he was doing. the place charged $75 an hour. i ended up pulling my motor and replacing everything as well as the clutch and spend the money on parts instead of labor :)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
shavedturbo: good work! that's exactly what i did... err.. kind of, but i had to do it myself too since i rather spend the money on other things.. *coughs*and i couldnt get the car to move more than 2 inches out of the garage.. *the JDM clutch had completely melted..*

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The Mitchell labor guide calls for 5 or 6 hours. The dealer quoted you way to much labor. I looked it up at my work, I just don't remember the exact number.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Flat rate times are based on hand tools not air tools, but why should someone faster and more skilled charge less just because they are good at it? That's a poor business model and a recipe for a failed business. If you want to save do it yourself. Otherwise sack up and pay a professional what he is worth. I get 7 hours give or take at 106.50 hr (sf bay area, highest labor rates around) be glad you have a network of enthusiasts to help. BTW an alltrac books out at around 12.5 hours, which isn't even enough most charge more if they know the car, less if they don't (much to there chagrin) An experienced tech will have at least 20-40k in personal tools too.

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My buddy nick works for abott and has access to a serious garage with lifts that are for anything ambulance sized and under. He has all airtools you could ask for as well. Is there a write up on this so I could look into how hard this would be to do myself? I am willing and ready to try!

·
Registered
4,173 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Locofrancais said:
sleepin-mr2.... Are you in Columbia, SC????? [email protected]

ahhh, that kind of help. I was confused from your other post about me. Nope, I am in columbia missouri. Its not that far from SC!!

I am all about saving money by working on the 2 myself. I wouldnt mind paying travel costs +beer+ extra cash to have someone experienced with the 2's clutch help (cheaper than labor costs) and it would be a good time anyways.

I have been trying everything I can to get around buying that big green book! I guess I kind of have to now, huh?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts