MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I thought I had posted a thread back in October ‘21 when I got the car, but not seeing it in this thread, so here goes. As said, picked up this ‘91 in October. It was red, with racing seats, Sparco detachable wheel, and Enkei RPF1 16” staggered wheels. Wearing 205 Toyos on the front, 235 on the rear. I probably won’t do much with the wheels and rubber anytime soon. Maybe paint or powdercoat the wheels to match the new greenhouse paint scheme. We’ll see. I will replace the seats with OEM seats. I’ve already reupholstered a set with MR2 Heaven leatherette and alcantara. Just need to put them in. I’ll also replace the steering wheel with a 3-spoke red stitched wheel with airbag.

Originally I was going to wrap it in orange with some dark gray accents, maybe a little carbon fiber. Wound up painting it. When spring comes around and I have a warmer garage I might start playing around under the hood. :unsure:

So here’s some before and after (or maybe more appropriately “in progress” ) photos.

Taken in seller’s driveway

Automotive parking light Car Wheel Vehicle Tire

Taken in front of my neighborhood’s community house

Tire Wheel Car Sky Vehicle

Current interior
Car Vehicle Car seat cover Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive navigation system

The audio also connects to a backup camera that displays on the screen.

I bought OEM seats and reupholstered. Ready to put them in when the subarctic temps improve.
Furniture Comfort Chair Automotive design Head restraint

And here’s the new look with the new paint. It’s set up to be an “alter-ego” to my 50th Anniversary Camaro. The Camaro is Nightfall Gray Metallic with “Orange U Tempted” accent stripes and brake calipers. My painter used the GM paint codes to match those colors. MR2 is primarily Orange U Tempted with NGM greenhouse and engine cover vents. Looks black, but trust me, it isn’t. I also picked up a pair of Midship Runabout fender badges and applied those.

Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Car Land vehicle

Automotive parking light Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Vehicle Car

Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle registration plate

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Nice car. Welcome to the sickness...lol.

Those wheels are forged. Research before having them powder coated. There was a story that popped up several years ago where a guy had his forged wheels powder coated. I believe it was on an NSX. Doesn't matter. The wheels were a quality brand and had fairly thin spokes. Sorry for the sketchy details, it's been quite a while. Anyway the wheels failed at the spokes. When the manufacturer was contacted and they found out the wheels had been powder coated they said that was the problem. Their engineer said that the heat from the powder coating process weakened the wheels.

I don't remember what ever came of this or the wheel brand. Maybe someone else will chime in.
The point of this rant is I would hate to see someone else have sweet ass wheels fail because of this.
I am not an engineer so I can't say whether or not powder coating will weaken forged wheels. Just be careful.

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Those wheels are forged. Research before having them powder coated. There was a story that popped up several years ago where a guy had his forged wheels powder coated. I believe it was on an NSX. Doesn't matter. The wheels were a quality brand and had fairly thin spokes. Sorry for the sketchy details, it's been quite a while. Anyway the wheels failed at the spokes. When the manufacturer was contacted and they found out the wheels had been powder coated they said that was the problem. Their engineer said that the heat from the powder coating process weakened the wheels.

I don't remember what ever came of this or the wheel brand. Maybe someone else will chime in.
The point of this rant is I would hate to see someone else have sweet ass wheels fail because of this.
I am not an engineer so I can't say whether or not powder coating will weaken forged wheels. Just be careful.
Taking your guidance on this one. Thanks for the cautionary tale. Now I’m enrolled in YouTube University 😝 studying wheel painting. A lot of videos of people painting RPF1.

·
Registered
6,412 Posts

Id be interested in seeing a wheel company come out and say that they cant be PCd because it's too high of heat.
Lots of race teams have PCd wheels with no issues, and even the enkei above come in colors from the factory (or at least black, might be more besides that and plain metal)

·
Registered
9,236 Posts
Id be interested in seeing a wheel company come out and say that they cant be PCd because it's too high of heat.
Lots of race teams have PCd wheels with no issues, and even the enkei above come in colors from the factory (or at least black, might be more besides that and plain metal)
There was a lot of debate on this when it happened. A lot of people didn't buy into it. I want to say the wheels were Enkei but I am not positive. I am sure that they were a very reputable wheel company and the particular model wheel was also thin spoked. The company said the heat messed with the molecular blah blah blah of the forged wheels but not cast wheels. I am by no means an engineer, Like I said above, just don't want to see anyone screw up a set of nice wheels OR get injured if wheels failure.

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ego and alter ego. Frick and Frack. Yin and Yang. Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum.
Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
1991 Turbo
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got my two topless toys outside for a photo opp. Colors look much closer to actual in this shot.
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Car Vehicle

1 - 9 of 9 Posts