MR2 Owners Club Message Board

MR2 Owners Club Message Board (https://www.mr2oc.com/forum.php)
-   MKII, 90-99 NA & Turbo (https://www.mr2oc.com/6-mkii-90-99-na-turbo/)
-   -   harmonic balancer search (https://www.mr2oc.com/6-mkii-90-99-na-turbo/679314-harmonic-balancer-search.html)

tlcferret June 9th, 2019 16:19

harmonic balancer search

I have a 91 NA 2.2 engine I am rebuilding . My balancer's outside pulley has seperated. An attempt to get it rebuilt was met with laughter and Rock auto shows no listing for one. Is there an alternative solution possibly from another motor or do I need one form another 2.2 MR2 motor?

benckj June 9th, 2019 16:58

Find a second hand one from your engine model.

Jim

steve108 June 12th, 2019 18:42

Check out damper doctor. I have no first-hand experience with them, but they seem to be offering a rebuild service. Sadly a lot of the local shops aren't interested in doing stuff they haven't done before, but it doesn't mean it isn't possible.

whh333 June 13th, 2019 06:31

Take a look at Dale's Manufacturing

I had the same situation, and a search on this board got me Dale's Manufacturing. You will have to do a web search to get his page, because this list will not let me post links until I have more postings. His web site is hbrepair with a dot com, if that code makes sense.

I could not have been more pleased with his work. Price was fair. He specifically lists our 2.2 balancers as one he is familiar with. He gives a lifetime warranty. I think you will be pleased as I was.

Take a look at his web site, and note that June is one of his months off. I sent mine in December and it took a while because that is one of his months off, and he seems to need to catch up when he gets back to work.

Good Luck!

GE_Troller June 14th, 2019 22:33

Thats pretty cool. Lot of work for little money.
Harmonic Balancers

JDM Factory June 15th, 2019 10:16

There's one on eBay for $142 + shipping. I think it's the same Divinity on here.

tlcferret June 15th, 2019 15:56

Thanks will check

gregrweiss June 19th, 2019 18:14

I have a '93 NA. Mine came apart last year at about this time. I used Damper Dudes out of Anderson, CA. They did the rebuild in two days for $109. I shipped them my trashed harmonic balancer on Monday and had the rebuilt one the following Monday. Looked as good as new.

The Bear June 28th, 2019 17:03

Heh, it looks like my brother-in-law and I found that part less than 24 hours after it was posted above but I didn't discover this site until after the sale and ebay helpfully provided me a link to other places where I could find the same part for less.

Just kidding - one was $300 and a second was $600. The latter was a racing component though.

Anyway my mechanic finally got some other parts he needed for unrelated work and discovered that "the bore hole is too small for the crank". I don't know if it's specific to my car - after nearly 30 years and who knows how many different owners I wouldn't rule out anything - or if a 1992 NA is simply different than the other years listed.

I'm trying to do a return but there's no guarantees that he'll accept it. In any case I can ask my mechanic for the dimensions of the hole so you can check if it will fit your car and if it's a match either buy it from him or from me.

BTW my brother-in-law and I are both old and deeply cynical. We really did find the part on ebay before discovering this site, much less this thread. (This specific thread wasn't even listed by ebay since it's so new - it was blind luck that I decided to check out "today
's posts"). I bought the part immediately since I've been burned by waiting in the past - no matter how unlikely it seems you never know if someone else is also looking and having the same problems finding the item - but since I have a second vehicle we were laughing at the welcome we could get if we posted a "I just bought the part! I'll sell it to you for $300!" message.