MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Buzzing noise in the speakers when steering

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Kalergie83 
#1 ·
So I installed a new stereo system. New amps, speakers, cables, the whole nine yards.

It appears that the electric gremlins got me. When I steer, there's a buzzing noise in the speakers. It is not dependent on the engine revs and does not get louder with volume. All is installed in the front trunk where sadly it has the power steering as a pesky neighbor. How do I protect my system from the pump motor interference other than moving everything away? Where is the fuse located so I can unplug the power steering to test if it goes away? Would this indicate any issue with the power steering or is this just the normal thing with Mr2s having an electrical pump?

Thank you.

#2 · (Edited)
What are the chances you used shielded wiring?

If you used shielded wiring, make sure the jacketing of the shielding is grounded.

If you didn’t use shielded wiring, get some thick aluminum foil and wrap everything up well, making sure to keep a path to ground. Aluminum foil isn’t the best way to shield, but it might be enough to confirm that’s the problem. At that point you can switch to shielded wiring, buy some jacketing for your current wiring, or just stick with the tinfoil hat approach.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the answer. I assume you are referring the coax cables to be shielded, not the speaker cables, right?

My headunit has a digital coax out. I use a digital coax cable to feed my digital sound processor which is also in the front trunk. The digital coax cable runs from the radio through the wall behind the dash, right along the power steering. My understanding of digital coax is that it cannot get distorted/interferred with like analog coax, am I right?

From the processor, I have 0.5meter coax cables to the amps. I used these cables. https://www.amazon.de/Black-Connect-Cinch-Stereo-0050/dp/B00KRG6JYS
I got them from a high-end dealer who I asked for well shielded wires but I will give another set of cables I have a try.

Sorry for my ignorance, but how do you ground the jacket of the shielding?

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.