MR2 Owners Club Message Board - View Single Post - Overheating when at a stop
View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old December 21st, 2018, 02:40 Thread Starter
MR2ManiacJC

OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
More intermediate basics

Second Concern:

The BGB also has a test for the radiator water temperature sensor which I never suspected could be the issue. After reading through the BGB I’m thinking maybe it is an issue.

The BGB says:
  • “Disconnect the sensor and check that the fan rotates if not replace sensor”
    ROTATED AT HIGH SPEED WHEN I DID THIS
  • “Raise coolant temperature between 185 - 194 degrees fahrenheit and check that fans rotate on LOW speed if not replace sensor.
    IT DID ROTATE AT LOW SPEED
  • "Raise coolant temperature above 194 degrees fahrenheit and check that fans rotate on HIGH speed if not replace sensor".
    I COULD NOT GET MY COOLANT TEMPERATURE PASSED 194. THE CLOSEST I GOT WAS 190

So I figured that maybe my radiator water temperature sensor is the issue but I need to perform that third test in order to verify. My thoughts are that above 194 degrees fahrenheit the car should technically be “overheating” and my high speed fans should kick in. I know cars naturally tend to run hotter when sitting at idle. Therefore, it is possible that the high speed on the fans is not kicking in when at idle(during a stop) above 194. This would mean that my water temp sensor is bad after all because it only allows my LOW speed to kick in. However, I'm not convinced yet but I'm sure hoping this is the issue. I went ahead and ordered a new OEM water temp sensor. Sadly, this one was a bit more expensive than the coolant temp sensor. It costed me a good $70 .

Once the sensor arrives I will rip out the old one and perform the next tests listed on the BGB just to make sure it is the bad. Even if it is not the issue I'm going to replace it anyway. But I have my fingers crossed that this is what's been causing my overheating. I provided a screenshot of the BGB for the tests I will be performing on the radiator temp sensor.
Attached Images
File Type: png BGB2.PNG (125.8 KB, 5 views)

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome