MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uh oh.... *breathing heavily*

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  reblmrtwo 
#1 ·
#4 ·
Add the fact they have already mentioned its a hybrid.. a more powerful Pruis drivetrain in the back with batteries in the frunk.. puke:

And for the matter, the fact they have said its a hybrid pretty much gaurantees some sort of CVT type drivetrain.. no more selecting real gears, maybe some pseudo manual mode with flappy paddles?

#5 ·
I see it this way, the Miata is the big contender. And the miata is sold with a manual. The old MRS was sold with a Manual. I dought this car will be looking to set nurburgring lap records, where the flappy paddle shifters would help shave milliseconds off the time. If this is a drivers car, I think there is a very good chance we will get a manual box as an option.

#7 ·
Once the electric mode becomes primary, there won't be any gears to select. The multiple gearbox is an idiosyncracy of the internal combustion engine. I realize that dialing in commutation phase angles does not have the romance of ripping up through the gears. However, the development of high power solid state electronics will continue to progress, and eventually the performance will sell it.

#9 ·
It seems their problem is the batteries. Good fro commuters, not for a drivers car. Tesla is having this issue, what good is having power when it makes your range irrelevant in comparison to many other cars, when you use it? Nice looks, more of a pain in the ass and freedom killer than anything. Need to refuel? Ok see you tomorrow. Would be a great car if it had and ICE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#14 ·
I am... I'm betting that by the time Tesla gets model 3 RHD production going and clears the waiting list in front of my name ( so probably mid 2019) there will be enough fast charging infrastructure built that it won't be any more of an inconvenience than trying to find gas stations with high octane fuel is now.

#15 ·
We will never get what we want. Marketing wins every time hands down. If most of us had our way, the new "Supra" would be a slight update to the last one. Inline 6 VVTLI Turbo 35 mpg hwy and 450 hp weighing in at 3000 lbs max. ? But NO. We get a BMW instead of Toyota glory. Big car companies don't car about potential of a car. They care about the numbers they can put in a brochure and have published in magazines.

That's my .02

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.