MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

2GR-FE supercharger belt routing kit build thread

45K views 158 replies 23 participants last post by  Makrs90 
#1 · (Edited)
some of you guys enjoy the progress along the way, so this isn't ready for sale yet but this thread is for the kit development.

This kit will only be for the belt routing to allow the stock TRD/Lotus supercharger to be used. a kit will follow later with an intake manifold that can use cheaper superchargers as well as larger superchargers and likely also support intercooling.

so without delay, the first lower pulley prototype came in today:

I'm pretty happy with it, right now it is using the HKS pulleys and they aren't available off the shelf so i'll have to make some of a similar size.

For the upper idler i'll use the same design i previously used. so i need to get it all installed on a car and get a properly sized belt.

See less See more
#5 ·
sorry, got the assembly together tonight so i could measure to order a belt. i have a belt ordered. it's a bit rare of a belt because it's only on a 1 ton dodge V10 without A/C. not a huge deal, i can order them in bulk and ship them with the kit.

Also, i've been thinking about the fuel injector size adjustability "issues" and there's a stop gap for low power. I can tweak the MAF table by a couple percent and call for a 52psi base fuel pressure and the stock injectors should support about 350-375WHP. it isn't perfect but it's good enough for now and it's a good test for the M62 kit which will max out somewhere around there anyways. it'll make that kit even cheaper.

Also, for the A/C guys there is a belt available 4.5" longer which is what the A/C requires.

#6 ·
By the looks of it, are you driving the supercharger directly by the loop going upwards in the image? Placing the supercharger directly over the lower intake manifold in the valley.

What's your thoughts on the feasibility of driving the s/c placed to the left over the valve cover. Near the TRD placement?

I know there really is only one path to get the belt upwards between the vvt-i line and the engine mount.

#7 ·
The belt fits and this gives you a better idea of the layout. for now it *is* the TRD layout. the first part of the kit released will just be for the belt stuff because there are some people that own TRD/Lotus bits that want to bolt it on.

#9 ·
Got it all in the car but i ran into a few minor issues that have prevented me from checking the belt tracking tonight. A big issue is the pulley boss on the water pump from a previous attempt at supercharger belt routing.

I'll cut it off on the next rain free evening and then check the belt tracking.

also, right now i have the bypass valve wired open because i haven't done anything to the engine fueling yet. but that won't stop me from testing belt tracking.

#10 ·
well, the weather cut my testing time way down tonight, but i was able to cut the old pulley boss off and start the engine. the belt appears to track perfectly now. I want to make a few minor tweaks to simplify the install and i actually need to make a production version of both parts including the pulleys but it's damn near there.

#14 ·
Well, i took the car out for it's first ride with the supercharger hooked up tonight to test that the belt routing would work well. the good news is i had no issues in 10 miles of driving.

I want to run a few tanks of gas through here get several hundred miles before the kit goes up for sale. I also want to revise the upper idler mount and make my own pulleys since the ones that are on there right now cannot be purchased.

so with that said, the initial part is done, everything appears to be happy. if it stays that way i imagine the belt routing stuff will be for sale in 4-6 weeks or so.

#21 ·
It's probably a good time to mention that the stock TRD supercharger does not even let the MKII engine lid close. i suspect you'd have even less luck with the MKI. For the test mule car i'm just going to run one of Paul Woods' engine lids for the clearance, you guys will see it in a few days.

I'm so excited, been following this project for years!
yeah, this project has been through several incarnations but all the bits are finally here to make it all possible. I'll need some help with a group buy on the belt stuff to help it get to production and i'm concerned there may not be that many people interested in the belt routing only part of this because of TRD/Lotus supercharger availability but i guess we will find out here shortly.

#24 ·
Gouky said:
It's probably a good time to mention that the stock TRD supercharger does not even let the MKII engine lid close. i suspect you'd have even less luck with the MKI. For the test mule car i'm just going to run one of Paul Woods' engine lids for the clearance, you guys will see it in a few days.
Just as well I've got an F40 style lid sitting here!

Marc - do you know the part number of the correct Lotus supercharger that will fit? Want to go get some prices and check availability.

Thanks

#25 ·
it's the early style supercharger: B132E6494F i show a price of £4,682.27(about $5,900 USD) but i don't expect anyone to buy it new. there are some used ones kicking around. the M62 i'm targeting for the 350rwhp kit is a $700 unit new and while i don't have a price on the intake manifold yet, it should be significantly lower than $5,200 USD :grin2:

The TVS1320 supercharger i'm targeting is $2,300 which still leaves way more than enough for an intake manifold while still being much cheaper than the new Lotus unit. This kit will be capable of something in the 450RWHP range with my modified ECU and other bits (with supporting internal mods). the supercharger itself i believe is rated to 21k RPM which should be enough for somewhere around 20psi of boost on the motor. for reference the Jimco2000 buggy in australia was dyno'd at 18psi making 800HP. but that included a bunch of internals of course and there's no way the 500cc injectors will feed that, nor will the TRD tune put up with it.

The idea is that the M62 will come close to maxing out the stock internals, anyone wanting more than that will need to spend way more than the difference between $700 and $2300

Of course, with all that said, if you want speed and you want it now the Lotus is the only part you can buy right now.

For those that just want a car and don't want to build it, i'm accumulating the stuff here I will likely build a supercharged 1993 and sell it to fund future R&D.

#27 ·
So as i put miles on the car it's looking like this belt routing is working quite nicely, unfortunately the ECU stuff is lagging behind.

I'm wondering if anyone out there is waiting for the belt routing kit but isn't planning on using the stock ECU i'm hacking?

#28 ·
My issue is that I'll be using a twin-screw and an integrated ATW IC in the manifold.
So this will likely place the S/c over the bank 1 cylinder head and back near the rear edge of the engine bay.

So as long as getting the belt back in that direction is a possibility, I'd be interested.

I do know that as it stands, you said the belt length you are using is already quite long.

#29 ·
it'll take a bunch of idlers to get there. there are belts available up to 20" longer. you're going to lose a bit of power getting it there though. Essentially if you used the lower bracket i make you'd get about 20% of the stuff needed to get there but it would save you needing to make your own custom small pulleys so it may or may not be worth your time.

I'm actually working through different options to allow for idler placement that varies the belt length, more on that as it becomes a thing.

#31 ·
The suspense is also killing me :)

The belt routing looks to be working great so far i've got a couple hundred miles on it but i need to get the TRD stuff fixed so i can do so under boost conditions. right now the throttle is limited to 32% due to a limp mode issue.

i'm going to want to put a couple thousand miles on the car with this setup before i feel comfortable selling it once all the bugs are worked out. I stand behind all the products i make and i don't want to put out bad product that i'll have to buy back and/or fix at my cost later.

so likely it's a few months out yet. but there should be an announcement soon with final intent hardware being shown off. it's also likely there will be a one time pre-purchase discount available at that point.

#36 · (Edited)
Alright, and now for what everyone’s been waiting for. Pricing:
These will be sold as two different “kits” since the lower kit can be used for DIY supercharging and the current upper is only designed for the “stock” lotus/TRD manifold.
The lower kit contains:
Custom bracket to hold three idlers (anodized black)
New gasket (the bracket covers the timing chain tensioner access so it is exposed to oil on the other side)
Two custom reduced diameter smooth idlers (Zinc coated for corrosion resistance)
One custom reduced diameter ribbed idler (Zinc coated for corrosion resistance)
All necessary hardware to install.
Retail pricing will be $400 for the kit, $365 for the pre-buy

The upper kit for the TRD/Lotus TVS1320 contains:
Custom bracket to hold one idler (anodized black)
Stock idler pulley (this reuses the stock pulley part number)
All necessary hardware to install.
Retail pricing will be $400 for the kit, $365 for the pre-buy

Also I will see if I can get a deal on the oil pipe from the local lotus dealer and make that available also. I don’t have pricing yet but I expect that to be $160. no need to pre-buy this as i won't have a special price.

This is not a group buy. These are going in production no matter how many people pre-buy. I expect production parts to ship by sometime around early to mid January 2017.

To get in on the pre-buy just send a paypal payment to Marc@frankensteinmotorworks.com with a note about what you're pre-buying. Pre-buys will be accepted through the end of the month (November 30th 2016)
The dyno run info is available here: http://www.mr2oc.com/6613170-post493.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.