MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Toyota S-FR Concept Previews a Baby FR-S

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  scottgas 
#1 ·

Rumors that Toyota is planning a smaller, lighter Scion FR-S have existed for years and now it appears they may actually be true.

Called the S-FR, this tiny new concept takes the lightweight sports car philosophy to heart and Toyota claims it, “aims to make a whole new generation fall in love with driving.”

In fact, it was designed not just to attract driving enthusiasts, but those who enjoy customizing their cars as well.

At 157 inches long its roughly 10-inches shorter over all than the Scion FR-S or Toyota GT86, though its actually slighter taller and about three inches narrower.

The design looks almost like something from the Mini drawing board with its rounded-shape.

No powertrain details have been announced but the layout is a front-engine, rear-drive setup with an independent suspension and a proper manual transmission. Toyota says the lightweight package will deliver, “smooth, responsive and direct handling that gives a real sense of communication between car and driver.”

The car will make its official debut at the Tokyo Motor Show later this month, alongside several other concepts.

Read More Here: Toyota S-FR Concept Previews a Baby FR-S » AutoGuide.com News

See less See more
#7 ·
The design looks almost like something from the Mini drawing board with its rounded-shape.

More like something from the Koi pond, either that or a big mouthed bass, is this a reflection of how bad public taste has become.
Do the designers understand what sleek, streamlined and beautiful is.

#8 ·
Yeah, I hear ya...

I only know one aspiring car designer, he's just finished his engineering program & is already suffering from 'design numbness'. He's reviewed so many car designs as part of his profession that he gets uninterested with eye pleasing shapes and ends up getting excited at peculiar & aesthetically displeasing designs that only entertains him & his approving bosses (who all have the same affliction because they've been in the industry since they were kids). So the public will suffer oinkers like the above simply because their creators are bored silly with sleek, visually stunning sheet metal and want something 'different'.

#9 ·
I guess it's easier then I thought to convince sheep and cattle that this is what they should buy. Witness the latest Chevy commercial where they remove all of the emblems on a Malibu and the people don't know what kind of car its but they'll buy it because it has all the latest look at me I don't have to know how to drive crap inside. Gawd I love my Vettes more and more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.