Tien Street Basis Coilover vs KYB AGX - MR2 Owners Club Message Board
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By RePete
  • 1 Post By RePete
  • 1 Post By DefSport
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2017, 15:14 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 50
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Tien Street Basis Coilover vs KYB AGX

So it's time to replace the suspension in the mr2, it creaks and bumps and just needs to be replaced. And while I'm at it I'd rather upgrade it.

I'm looking at two options cost wise, tien street basis coilovers about $650 or AGX struts with lowering springs from h&r or eibach which is around $620

From those who have had either, what do you suggest? Positive and negatives of them?

And don't say save up and get Koni Yellows. That's not an option : )





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AceVL is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2017, 15:29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: East Bay
Posts: 666
OldTrader Rating: (0)
I would add couple hundred dollars and get Koni yellow inserts with Eibach pro springs. No coilovers for 1k or less would beat this setup...
2ZZXRS is offline  
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old June 1st, 2017, 17:27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Age: 24
Posts: 424
OldTrader Rating: (0)
You have to look at it like, what benefit are you getting from the coilover for the extra $30? They must have cut corners somewhere in order to get that price low enough to almost match that of a standard strut insert/spring.

And you'll feel exactly where they cut corners the first time you drive the car. Shock/Spring > Cheap coils every time.

The only positive of the Coils over the Strut/Spring is that you'll get some height adjustment, everything else will feel worse.
NyX_Nick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2018, 10:54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 272
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
This is an old thread, but I thought I'd chime in since I actually have experience with these dampers on an AP1 S2000 (they're just called the new name of Tein Flex Z, seems MR2 fitments sometimes still call out Street Adv. Basis).

The price point is very low for a complete kit, but the dampers are actually pretty good. I'd put them right in the range of a twin tube Koni yellow, with a good adjustment range that didn't seem to vary a huge amount from damper to damper.

Overall, for the price they were a bargain IMO, and I've been exposed to quite a few high end dampers (Moton, JRZs, personally owned Koni 8611 setup etc.).

There are better setups, but for the price it's hard to beat these. The stock Flex Z spring rates might be a tad stiff in the rear at 4/8 kg/mm front and rear - but that doesn't seem grossly out of whack compared to some setups here.
DefSport is offline  
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old March 27th, 2018, 13:57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,016
OldTrader Rating: (5)
If true, it's about time. I know that the shocks packaged with my Super Streets on my older build were just junk - and they blew after 3 years. I've never looked back from Konis.
RePete is offline  
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old February 25th, 2019, 10:32
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 272
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
Thought I'd update this thread since I purchased an SW20 with Tein Street Basis coilovers on them.

My impression - generally good street damping setting, maybe a touch under damped at low shaft speed (handling), but it yields good ride comfort. Shocks are non-adjustable, but as stated, generally a good damping setting. The spring rates feel good for the chassis (I have a '93 MR2, otherwise stock suspension with an aggressive alignment). Height adjustment is good to tailor in the look vs. travel to suit your needs, but don't expect to slam the car. I picked the car up and it was entirely too low and rode really rough on any sharp hits. I raised up the front ~3/4" and the rear about 1/2" and it rode so much better.


Overall, I'd go with them over Koni yellows + off the shelf lowering springs that will be too soft for how much they drop the car. The Teins will be cheaper, height adjustable, and the spring rates are more suitable to a performance street setup/light track setup IMO.



For anybody questioning my experience with Konis, I've had Yellows on 3 cars, and an 8611/8610 setup on one. I'm well aware of how they perform and ride.
DefSport is offline  
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old April 16th, 2019, 22:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 8
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefSport View Post
My impression - generally good street damping setting, maybe a touch under damped at low shaft speed (handling), but it yields good ride comfort. Shocks are non-adjustable, but as stated, generally a good damping setting. The spring rates feel good for the chassis (I have a '93 MR2, otherwise stock suspension with an aggressive alignment). Height adjustment is good to tailor in the look vs. travel to suit your needs, but don't expect to slam the car. I picked the car up and it was entirely too low and rode really rough on any sharp hits. I raised up the front ~3/4" and the rear about 1/2" and it rode so much better.


Overall, I'd go with them over Koni yellows + off the shelf lowering springs that will be too soft for how much they drop the car. The Teins will be cheaper, height adjustable, and the spring rates are more suitable to a performance street setup/light track setup IMO.
Do you happen to know if the Basis springs are wider than your typical coilover? If it uses the OEM perch I assume the spring is pretty wide and wonder about clearance with wheels versus the typical coilovers that use a pillowball top mount.
Mike Thomas is offline  
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old April 17th, 2019, 11:17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 272
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
That I don't know. I can try to measure it in the near future, but every minute of wrench time I get these days is trying to button up the last few items and actually test drive the car soon (at the end of putting an EFR turbo on it).


I do know the previous owner installed Alex W's front camber plates with the Street Basis. No idea what he did for the front top hat... can't really recall what was up there last time I was in the front wheel well.
DefSport is offline  
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old April 18th, 2019, 00:48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 8
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
Do you happen to know the specs of your wheels and tires?
Mike Thomas is offline  
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2019, 00:28
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Age: 23
Posts: 53
OldTrader Rating: (0)
This is the first good advocation I've heard for the Tein Street Basis coils on this car. Makes them actually seem worth considering over the Koni Yellow/spring combo I've been planning for a while (which I'll be paring with AlexW's suspension geometry kit right off the bat). I like how coils have linear springs, but I doubt I'll have the budget for the nicer ones out there... and one might even call those options overkill for a car intended almost entirely for street use on relatively good roads. My main concern would actually be fitting my +40 17x8s up front with the coils...

Last edited by GreenGhost74; April 20th, 2019 at 00:34.
GreenGhost74 is offline  
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2019, 06:50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,016
OldTrader Rating: (5)
I had Tein coil-overs on my SW20 for about 3 years; no amount of adjustment I made would allow them to perform the way I wanted. And I tweaked it or had it tweaked 10s of times. While I was always happy w/ their spring rate, I was never satisfied w/ the damping, plus the fact that their shocks blow after a few years (even the company admits that on their web page). I was also not thrilled about reducing the shocks' lifespan further by occasionally changing the ride height - which you can perform w/ Koni shocks all day long and not worry about affecting lifespan.

If Tein kept their Street Basis main setup like most of their coilovers, then a +40 8" won't clear up front. You'll need to get the offset down to the low +30s. Coilovers roughly take away an additional 10mm in sideways clearance but give you more North/South clearance, which means going to 17" 45 series should be fine up front.
GreenGhost74 likes this.
RePete is offline  
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2019, 13:44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 272
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
Do you happen to know the specs of your wheels and tires?
They're 17x7.5" front and 17x8.5" rear, with a decent spacer up front (~12-15 mm I'd guess?). No idea on the offset, they're early 90's 3 piece Work Meister M1s, so kinda tough to tell exactly what's going on with them.

I'll probably go with some 17x8/17x9 RPF1s in the future. I really liked those on my old S13, so might as well continue the theme.
DefSport is offline  
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2019, 15:18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: USA
Age: 23
Posts: 53
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RePete View Post
I had Tein coil-overs on my SW20 for about 3 years; no amount of adjustment I made would allow them to perform the way I wanted. And I tweaked it or had it tweaked 10s of times. While I was always happy w/ their spring rate, I was never satisfied w/ the damping, plus the fact that their shocks blow after a few years (even the company admits that on their web page). I was also not thrilled about reducing the shocks' lifespan further by occasionally changing the ride height - which you can perform w/ Koni shocks all day long and not worry about affecting lifespan.

If Tein kept their Street Basis main setup like most of their coilovers, then a +40 8" won't clear up front. You'll need to get the offset down to the low +30s. Coilovers roughly take away an additional 10mm in sideways clearance but give you more North/South clearance, which means going to 17" 45 series should be fine up front.
Well, 2 years isn't an ideal sounding lifespan for a set of coilovers. I really like +40 because of how close it keeps the tire to the stock scrub radius, but you can't even fit a finger in between a wheel and the strut up front. I don't suppose the Wilhelm Raceworks Coilover Top Mounts would give enough clearance back to compensate for the (roughly) 10mm lost? I already like the idea of those plates for handling improvement purposes, so if they'd also allow me to keep my 17x8 fronts without spacers, I'd be thrilled.
GreenGhost74 is offline  
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2019, 15:35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,016
OldTrader Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGhost74 View Post
...I don't suppose the Wilhelm Raceworks Coilover Top Mounts would give enough clearance back to compensate for the (roughly) 10mm lost?...
They might do the trick, you should ask the guy who sells them.
GreenGhost74 likes this.
RePete is offline  
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old April 20th, 2019, 17:18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 272
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
I have Alex W's camber plates on the front of my car, I think everything fit much better for the tire clearance to the wheel well with the increased caster and camber. Not sure on the strut to tire clearance, I honestly haven't done much besides set the height really.


As for their performance, they're not the best dampers ever, don't misunderstand me, but they're perfectly serviceable for a street/light track car IMO. I imagine they have more travel than a set of stock length Konis, which alone will make the Teins work better when lowered because slamming into the bumpstops all the time will make any setup feel horrible.

There's really nothing to adjust on a Street Basis besides the height, so I'm not sure what sort of fiddling one would be doing with it as a setup. Pretty much install and forget...
GreenGhost74 likes this.
DefSport is offline  
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old April 24th, 2019, 14:42
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 272
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Thomas View Post
Do you happen to know if the Basis springs are wider than your typical coilover? If it uses the OEM perch I assume the spring is pretty wide and wonder about clearance with wheels versus the typical coilovers that use a pillowball top mount.
The fronts use a constant diameter spring - it looks to be either 65 or 70 mm ID. The rears definitely get larger to match up to the factory mount up top, but look like they use 65 or 70 mm ID to mount on the spring perch on the coilover.
DefSport is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MR2 Owners Club Message Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: (0 members)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome