MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

New Vented Motorlid Project (potentailly for sale upon completion in carbon fiber)

13K views 43 replies 12 participants last post by  mmarookiejoe 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello all. I'm sure some of you know about a certain vented engine lid that used to be offered by another member in the MR2 community. Unfortunately production runs have fallen short of demand and expectations on that item so I decided to make my own design of a vented engine lid for the mk2 MR2. It is currently a work in progress but upon completion there are plans to have my design reproduced in both carbon fiber and fiberglass options if there is enough interest. I am fabricating a set of hood scoops from a 69 Chevelle hood to fit the metal N/A engine lid.

[/URL][/IMG]

All I've done so far is cut out the scoops to properly cover the vents:

Next I will trim the pieces to properly fit and tack the scoops in place with a bit of a bend at the open end to increase the height of the opening to be larger than how they sit in my current picture. Once tacked in place I will be welding all of the way around the seam, grinding it smooth, then my body guy will make the finishing touches as needed. Upon completion I will send my design out for a mold to be made for reproduction if there is enough interest. Otherwise it will simply mount on my car and I will have a one off engine lid. Please feel free to offer your opinions and express your interest in a carbon fiber or fiberglass reproduction. Also, as you can see I am using the N/A engine lid to build from. Plans are for the reproduction to have the underside of a turbo engine lid (not the N/A lid) so you can still mount your turbo model rain guards if that's what you'd like to do.

Oh and if you're doubting my ability to get the metal work done properly then check out my modded trunk lid:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=5940529#post5940529

See less See more
#33 ·
The process could have been much more simple if I were just making this for a mold. I went the extra mile with it in the off chance it never ends up being reproduced. That way I will have the lid I want no matter what. Here's the most recent progress on it. My body guy is super busy and messing with our lid every now and then. Doesn't look too far off from being finished.

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

#39 ·
now that im looking at this more and more while being mounted on the car.. are you sure that the scoops are large enough to allow enough heat out the engine bay? even compared to the Na engine lid, it seems like a restriction. Maybe you guys can include side mounts that are vented as well or have a scoop mounted on them.

It looks really clean though..

#40 ·
Absolutely. Those pics make them look kinda small with the lighting and angles. Pictures do not do this lid justice. Even in some pics the vents look different sizes while in person they are very even and measure out similarly. The opening is one and an eighth inch tall and eleven and a half inches wide. While it's not an inch and an eighth tall the whole width of the opening I believe the area is still equal to or larger than factory opening area with rain guard. Look at these two pics for opening visuals:

[/URL][/IMG]

[/URL][/IMG]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.