MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

94 Vs. 98 Wing, which do you prefer?

14K views 35 replies 23 participants last post by  bret 
#1 ·
Contemplating projects for my car in the future, most of which I wouldn't be able to afford at the moment. :rolleyes: Since I have a three-piece 91 wing, its exciting to think about which wing I'd like to switch to. A 94 or a 98 wing?

Its about 50/50 between the two, I like both wings equally. I like the 94 wing because it flows more naturally with the rest of the car. The 98 wing is a bit more stylish, sporty maybe and its a... 98 wing so here in the United States we unfortunately were not blessed with the presence of the SW for that long.

I'm sure this isn't the first thread comparing the two wings but which do you prefer? :headbang:

image upload no size limit

take a screenshot

See less See more
#3 ·
I think Toyota did a good job with all three wings. I think the 91-93 wing is great looking, but people tend to get tired of having the same thing as everyone else and I can understand that.

Personally, I think the 94 probably flows the best while looking unique. However, a stock bodied 98 MR2 is the sexiest of the bunch to me because it represents the last iteration of the breed. I have an OEM 98 wing and trunk waiting to go on my 91, but I'm going to repaint the entire back half of the car since there is quite a bit of body work required to fill all of the 91 spoiler holes.

If you go 94 or 98, don't half-ass it. Vinyl tape over the spoiler holes looks okay in pictures from 10-20', but up close in person it looks ghetto-rigged IMO. I'd rather keep the 91 wing than have a bunch of tape all over the car.

#4 ·
I like the 94 BUT just like the tail lights I keep it 91 so I don't look like every other Jap freak out there :)

#6 ·
I originally wanted a 94 wing but went with the 98.

Unfortunately I'm one of those guys with electric tape over the holes on the rear quarters, but the paint comes after the engine work. The ENTIRE car needs a respray so I rather have electric tape over the holes than primer over the patch.

#7 · (Edited)
I have both original wings on cars. 96NA and 98GT.

For looks I probably prefer the 96 but the 98 is more sporty and functional. Being able to adjust is a bit of a gimick but it was a rare option with the MR2's. Persoanly, I'd go with the latest and newest version as long as its the OEM. Stay away from the Chinese copies.

I ditched the spoiler adjustment bolts and replaced with some stainless hardware.

jim

#15 ·
I actually think the original '91 wing is pretty neat when you can't see it's 3 pieces. It should have been one, but I guess Toyota didn't have the budget to produce it properly.
I'm doing the same thing with two '94 wings, except different color.

Also agree with ironboy1, depends on the color of the car for the wing.

#27 ·
I actaully happen to like my 91 spoiler on my car, how ever i wish the center was a little higher up, once i get some free time i want to pull mine off and clean under it because every time i wash my car crap comes out from between it when im done and i had have a 5 minute old wash job and already have black specks all around my back end lol. and when i pull it off for cleaning im going to try to make a spacer of sorts to raise the center section a bit.. probably going to shoot for like a half inch-ish.

#17 ·
91-93 wing is pretty cool.. but I personally got tired of looking at it thinking of all the options you would have without it.

I ended up getting a Kaminari wing.

Comparing stock 94-97 to 91-93, I like the 94-97 better, but the 91-93 isn't bad at all..

I don't really like the 98-99 wing that much. I mean it kind of reminds me of those ricey deer antler wings on Civics of the late 90's.

#21 ·
I love both the 94 & 98 wings. I have a 94 (not yet installed) and hope to one day get a 98 too. I don't see why some people think the 98 looks ricey. The only thing I ever saw that reminded me of the 98 wing was the Mazda RX7 FD3S Bathurst spoiler which I think looks great on that car too:

#24 ·
That's a great comparison. I still love the way the 98 looks, especially from the rear like that, but I can see how some think it looks like the wings people put on riced out Hondas. However, I blame the ricers for that--they copied these style wings and ruined them by associating them with their crappy cars.

That RX7--I'd kill for it.

#28 ·
I like all three, for different reasons. But, having had a 91 for 8 years, I'm ready to see something different. My new chassis is a bit of a beater at the moment, so it's a perfect opportunity to weld up the holes for the 91 and switch to the later style. I also like the idea of being able to have one of each and swap between the 94 and 98, and being able to add extensions on the side of the 98 to get the wing up at the roofline for track days and such.

#29 ·
91 looks best at side angles compared to the others IMO. I wish there was a little bit taller middle section. Autopista is about as good as it gets I go back and forth on liking and not liking it though. 98 looks great from the rear but on the side I just think the MR2 is too round looking with out the side parts of the 91.

I have though what if you put a 98 wing or widebody TRD in the middle section with side parts of the 91 but probably will look real bad.

#30 ·
send me a PM, but once i get some free time in the next few months im going to make a raiser to go between the upper and lower halves of the center section, and ill post a thread when i do that i can link you to and if you like it ill make you a set. if you wanted them how much of a raise would you want on it, im thinking like 3/4 to 1 1/4 somewhere in there

#33 ·
I've had both wings on my current car, I'll go with the 94 wing. The reason for me, it comes around over the line where the trunk/rear fender meet up and gives it a better flow. It's a happy medium between the 91 - 98.

I do love the rear end view of the 91 wing, but those sides are to much and IMO ruin the rear fender. You can't see the roundness :)

#34 ·
I've had all three on my car...including a aeroware center added to the 91 spoiler.

91-93 spoiler looks nice especially with the aeroware center but the side detracts the curves in the rear.

98 spoiler was nice and aggressive but I'm not 25 anymore so for me...it was a bit on the aggressive side. Then all the Honda kids ruined this spoiler by adding them to their civics.

94-97 spoiler is perfect in my opinion....not too subtle and not too crazy. I love the way it looks from the rear....especially if you have a nice exhaust to finish the rear off.

#35 ·
So the 94 & 98 wings are interchangeable with the same trunk lid?

94-97 spoiler is perfect in my opinion....not too subtle and not too crazy.
Yeah I agree. After my original post for this thread I quickly changed my opinion... I prefer the 94-97 style and that has stuck.

But I still like the 98 wing too, and I do agree with what others say that the 91-93 has an advantage with the spoiler pieces on the rear fenders, when viewing the car from the side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.