MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Is the next MR2 from Britain?

5K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  SV3Power 
#1 ·
Now before you fall over laughing (FOL) remember than many people said the AW11 was like the classic British sportscar but without the puddle of oil under the engine (or the inevitable road-side assistance).

Anyhow, turning from the land of the rising sun to the land of interminable gloom, we have this:

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motora...car-trident-icini-promises-200-200130777.html

200mph and 69mpg. Makes me feel all teary eyed and nostalgic...

#5 ·
A gtr will not do 69mpg unless if falls out of an aircraft with the engine idling. In any case, a gtr may be one of the best value cars on the market and a truly amazing machine, but it looks so "rice boy".

In any case I was mostly tongue-in-cheek. The sad truth is there is no real prospect of an affordable mid-engine sportscar in the foreseeable future.

#6 ·
AlastairMR2 said:
...like the classic British sportscar but without the puddle of oil under the engine (or the inevitable road-side assistance).
Oy! I resent that! My puddle was under the rear axle...

That Trident looks more than a little TVR-ish. I'm not sure how I feel about that.

I'd settle for 100mph and silly fuel economy. Hmm... a baby turbo diesel in a GT-6, maybe...?

#9 ·
@Jared. For some reason diesel motors are not popular in America, but in Europe the technology is not only accepted, it's been refined to the point that the mileage puts most hybrids to shame, and at the same time the performance is very decent. A VW Passat in Europe (Diesel, stick shift) can easily average 42 mpg (mix of freeway and town driving). Compare this to a Toyota Prius V (2012) which for the same duty cycle only manages 40 mpg. The Toyota only wins in city-only driving. Once you have to switch to the gas motor for longer stretches, the diesel easily wins.

#11 ·
AlastairMR2 said:
For some reason diesel motors are not popular in America...
Lots of reasons. We have traditionally had much lower fuel prices here than in Europe, making fuel economy a far smaller factor for the American car buyer than it is for the European. Combine that with some very poorly made diesel products (in the early days), poor power compared to gasoline engines (again, moreso in the early days of passenger car diesels), and American buyers', dealerships', mechanics' (et al) reluctance to try anything too new or different or exotic or "foreign"... basically, it doesn't take much to sour the American consumer for a very long time. And now we supposedly have very different emissions requirements than what the rest of the world faces. Given the complexity of modern cars, building a diesel for the US market is a lot more costly and probably a lot less attractive than it is for other, more receptive markets.

#12 ·
I think its more of the mere fact that if cars get better fuel economy or use alternative fuels... Well that's not putting much change in uncle sams pocket... There are so many ways to achieve incredible fuel mileage or so many alternatives that are equal or less expensive than a standard engine, yet they aren't being built. Why? I think we can all assume some real truth behind it...

#19 ·
"torque multiplier technology"

1000ftlb TQ

Maybe they are just referring to a gearbox? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.