MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

328rwhp @ 21psi, TD05 20G

6K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  JLee 
#1 ·
17psi pump, 21psi race. It also made 280whp at 15psi (for 91oct).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw6dQF6w12o

JDM Gen2 3SGTE
540's, ATS FPR/rail and dual map ROM tune
TD05 20G
38mm Tial EWG
Apexi intake
Berk exhaust w/Magnaflow spun cat
XS Power SMIC with ATS fan/shroud
Greddy Profec B Spec II

Stock head/manifolds/cams/etc.

I'm not sure where to go next, as it's going to be expensive to move up from here...debating between leaving it as-is (maybe with cams) or going with a standalone and switching over to E85.

See less See more
#3 ·
I<3mr2 said:
Is td05 much different than the td06?

People seem to make good power with this turbo.
TD05 and TD06 refer to the size of the turbine housing.
You can have a td05 and itll help spool thanks to the smaller housing, but a td06 will help with top end and compressor efficiency, but will cause full spool to suffer, achieving it at a later rpm. .
ex.: I have a TD06 10cm^2 20G on my dsm, but you can also have a td05 7cm^2 turbine housing strapped on the same chra too. :smile:

#5 ·
mr2uuzy said:
TD05 and TD06 refer to the size of the turbine housing.
You can have a td05 and itll help spool thanks to the smaller housing, but a td06 will help with top end and compressor efficiency, but will cause full spool to suffer, achieving it at a later rpm. .
ex.: I have a TD06 10cm^2 20G on my dsm, but you can also have a td05 7cm^2 turbine housing strapped on the same chra too. :smile:
If the TD05 is supposed to spool faster then how come his dyno is laggier then most TD06 dynos I have seen by a little bit?

Seems most TD06's spool around 4k where his is spooling at ~4200.

Not bad power though.

#7 ·
JLee said:
Most TD06's aren't running a cat, are they?
True, although if it was really supposed to spool faster you would think that it would at least match the TD06 for spool even with a cat.

#9 ·
I know this thread is dead and has been for a long time but I figured I would share the second life of JLee's kit since these kits no longer get any love from the community.

I purchased the old TD05H-20g kit from JLee a long while ago. (Thanks man :thumbup)

To first answer a proposed question on this thread about his spool time; JLee's old kit was using a TD05 10Cm^2 exhaust housing. Which explains the lag he experienced.

Everyone has pretty much disowned this breed of turbo charger in place of some of the small Garret series. And while yes, those can make nice power quickly you just cant beat the price of the TD series of turbo chargers.

I have over time rebuilt the turbo (not needed, just wanted to) installed a 7 blade 20G extended tip billet wheel and a 9 blade turbine shaft, installed a 8cm^2 housing that I turned into a V-band exit.(see pic)

The turbo has been strapped to my Gen2 3sgte with: 9.0:1 pistons, HKS 264 IN&EX cams, 800cc sidefeed injectors, RacerX center feed manifold, custom/self made throttle body adapter from Q45 to OEM, side mount intercooler and a MSPNP2 ecu. Using 93 Octane.(Self tuned but picked up a lot of pointers from several tuners within community, Thanks Eric, Aaron and Bryan)

I am pretty happy with the turbo since this was only off the external wastegates pressure using a 14lb spring.

Before everyone busts my balls on the use of a MD-500 dyno (I'm looking at you Bryan... lol) this is the dyno we have at our shop and it notoriously reads about 11-13% LOWER than a DynoJet. The MD-500 was chosen for the shop because of the need for a AWD dyno in the local area.

Immediate plans for the setup are to finish building my air to water intercooler setup then retune for 18psi on 93 pump gas.
Future plans are to make my own top mount manifold since this turbo is only a stepping stone in the path of building a stroker motor and pairing it with a larger frame turbo.

#11 ·
Pretty good spool, and the torque seems to hold well up higher (any graphs of RPMS over 7000?).

This manifold removes the TVIS? I'm just wondering about the dip... any indications as to the cause? Bit of knock response perhaps? Ease off .25 - .5 degrees timing from 4200-4300 and see?

#12 ·
Pretty good spool, and the torque seems to hold well up higher (any graphs of RPMS over 7000?).
Unfortunately no Gandalf. Simply put... MSPNP2 has an issue where about 1/3 will not rev higher than what I am showing here on my pull. It basically cuts ignition at 66XX rpms and fuel dumps. (and I haven't looked too far into placing a resistor inline to help solve the "noisy" ignition signal)

This manifold removes the TVIS? I'm just wondering about the dip... any indications as to the cause? Bit of knock response perhaps? Ease off .25 - .5 degrees timing from 4200-4300 and see?
That is correct. The RacerX center-feed manifold does not utilize TVIS. For this size turbo, TVIS would still be beneficial but this is not the planned final turbo size for my setup.

And yeah, a dip, or two small peaks are to be expected within that rpm window (but not that size trough) As a novice tuner, I haven't fooled with it enough to smooth it out any more than this run.
I have considered the timing in that section but haven't played with it enough to know whether it is directly related to timing, fuel, or air flow. I am hoping it is fuel related since I can smooth out my afr's considerably since mine looks like a roller coaster in comparison to some vehicles that I have seen.

#14 · (Edited)
This was only off the wg spring which is set at 14lbs. I'll look into the dip further after Christmas when I finish my A2W install and retune for same psi as well as 18psi using the boost controller.

I am also using 7E's at the moment (gapped to 0.028") but I am getting ready to switch over to the R5671A-7's (or another couple of equivalent sets that I have available to me) for tuning it to 24lbs using 116 oct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.