MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

MR2 USA Produtions numbers by year, engine and roof style

44K views 37 replies 26 participants last post by  JekyllnHyde 
#1 · (Edited)
#9 ·
Bill Strong said:
what is this RL Polk thing? could we get an update from them?
Below is a quote from their web site.

R. L. Polk & Co. is the premier provider of automotive information and marketing solutions to the automotive world and its related industries?automotive and commercial vehicle manufacturers and dealers, automotive aftermarket companies, insurance companies, finance companies, media companies, advertising agencies, consulting organizations, government agencies and market research firms.
Anyone know someone working for them or a competitor?

#10 ·
I know there was a sun roof option in the later MKIs but I don't see it listed. I've never heard of a MR2 Sport Roof and I know the MKII NA's had both Sunroofs and T-Tops. This is probably a fault with the local state DMV offices rather then RL Polk. I also thought there were 1995 turbos, but RL Polk shows none registered. Are they all gone?
Seems they are either missing or got some bad information on the registrations of Mr2. I know my car got titled as an "87 Toyota Coupe", though I clearly wrote MR2 on the title application. That's the bureaucrats for ya :rolleyes:

#13 ·
redmr2_man said:
there were only 13 hardtop turbos imported into the usa in 93, from the data i've read. That shows 53?, so your car is rarer than you think!
I wonder if that number includes sun roof cars or if they are in with the sport roof?

Mine is also factory turquoise which I understand is even rarer.

#19 ·
Those numbers seem too small.....Only 1400 or so 93 Turbo Ttop cars? And i have one of them?!

#21 ·
Cool thread! I have access to some Polk data through work and got to mess with some reports last night and today. This data is called "VIO" or Vehicles in Operation. It is basically all used and new registrations for a particular Make and Model, without reg's that have been "inactive" for 18 months. So this is basically a snapshot of all MKII MR2's that are still on the road today. This will not include track cars, project cars that have not been registered in 18 months, etc.

Narrowed down by year (1991-1995):

1991 Turbo: 4,361
Non: 8,711
1992 Turbo: 668
Non: 2,042
1993 Turbo: 1,203
Non: 2,550
1994 Turbo: 202
Non: 272
1995 Turbo: 84
Non: 163

Total: 20,256

I make no claim for this data to be 100% accurate. These are based off registrations, so there can be all kind of errors on the county, state level, etc. But according to the Sport Compact Car article, there were 21,580 made, so this may be pretty accurate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.