MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

medea vs border style ducted hoods

16K views 72 replies 18 participants last post by  mr2azzkicker 
#1 ·
asksport medea/bonnet:

border:

Any opinions on what is the better choice here?

See less See more
#52 ·
here are some more pics close up , it is installed, but hood needs modification

#54 ·
Alex Jacome said:
Let me also contribute! BTW Deseroner did you have a hard time cutting the hole in your firewall because I did :mad: !

nice duct also, yeah I did I first used a saw saw, and then cut around firewall.

#55 ·
ok I did the cut on the hood to match duct,still more work to come.

#57 ·
Jim2109 said:
buy an angle grinder and cutting discs. they make light work of cutting metal and leave a very good finish. i cut the entire frunk area out of an mr2 with one in about an hour in perfect straight lines lol.
I have a angle grinder, but what disc should I get to smooth it out.I was planning on taking it to a body shop so they can smooth it just like alex's hood

#58 ·
deseroner said:
I have a angle grinder, but what disc should I get to smooth it out.I was planning on taking it to a body shop so they can smooth it just like alex's hood
I used a carbon disk with my grinder to cut the hole out and then I used 80 grid sand paper wrapped around a piece of rectangular wood to get straight smooth lines and rounded edges :thumbup ! it took me quite a while.

#59 ·
deseroner said:
its the cutting disc you want to use with the angle grinder, it will cut perfect edges so youll hardly have to smooth them. its obviously too late now, but thats the way most people do it. just a thin 2-3mm cutting disc (or the imperial equivalent)

for finishing its probably best to use a "flap disc". they look like this....

#65 ·
KietT said:
F I had that k-office front bumper I donth think I could have convinced myself to cut it. I would just find another way to get more air through...
If you want performance you need your car to run at it's optimum at all time's Kei office bar was the cleanest I could source as there are even more mod's done to it since pic was taken. Car is a time attack and track car and gets raped constantly and never complains which is what you want from any car. Will add more pic's for the cooling soon
Cheers
Daniel

#70 ·
i does not look like there is even much air going that route. a 2zz probably doesn't put out as much heat as a sw20. although an exige S was supercharded and i heard they were making a turbo version sometime. anyone know if they change anything (core or inlet sizes)? the front looks really weak in terms of reinforcements. gotta keep it light, eh?

#71 ·
Proj3ct_Run@bout said:
i does not look like there is even much air going that route. a 2zz probably doesn't put out as much heat as a sw20. although an exige S was supercharded and i heard they were making a turbo version sometime. anyone know if they change anything (core or inlet sizes)? the front looks really weak in terms of reinforcements. gotta keep it light, eh?
ever driven one? despite looking 'weak' they are race inspired and damn them, they are stiff! I auto x alot and the stupid lotus exige and elise out there smoke everyone pretty much everytime. Its like cars vs go karts in a cornering contest

The only thing keeping up with them is the 700 hp viper out there, with slicks and massive tires, a corvette that looks like one of the nascar cars of tomarrow, and a turbo miata mx5.

The lotus cars usually pull clean runs, the corvette seams to think eating the cones is more fun than going around them.

#73 ·
Do you want to modify your hood? If so, why? I plan to use my ask hood as it came.

I do plan on modifying their engine lid though. As it comes it turns the car into a fastback. I want to modify it with a scoop that extends up over the roof to allow for maximum airflow over the top mount intercooler. Plus i think it will give it a McLaren F1 type of look.

Cheers,
Steven

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.