MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

World's first (second?) V8 2nd generation MR2!

32K views 114 replies 49 participants last post by  eazy2001x 
#1 · (Edited)
I wish the honor was mine, but it is not.

The honor belongs to Mike_H

Mike says he has DRIVEN THE CAR!

REQUEST: If anyone is in/near Gainsville, FL, and you have a camera that can do video, please contact Mike_H. We all would like to get video of the car driving, and maybe some in-car video as well, so please help out.

Here are photos of his car.

See less See more
#103 ·
StoneDSoldiaR said:
Okay then :( but i love ford engine lol, still LS1/6 are sick
But i guess the 302 could be cheaper and get some power for the price?? lol ok ok i bow :)
i'm a big ford fan, getting those dimensions was easy, i just walked out in the garage and checked the three i had sitting there. but it's just hard to compare a 50yr old block to modern technology.

#104 ·
StoneDSoldiaR said:
cbulen i thought you were going for the same engine as Mike but i seen like 3 times you talking about Northstar. The first mr2 v8 ive seen on the net years ago was with a v8 Northstar. But i'm confused which one will you be using? I maybe misunderstood but i think you said you will try to put the northstar to see and do it with the Audi engine later??
Other way around. I was going to use the Audi V8. I started a thread on the possibility of using it. Then Mike_H read my thread and started building his V8 MR2, except he went longitudinal. I decided that the Audi cannot be used transversely (or rather, its not worth the trouble), as switching to the NOrtstar solved a lot of problems, but created others, but these problems were a LOT easier and cheaper to solve than using the Audi transversely.

#105 · (Edited)
Gouky said:
i'm a big ford fan, getting those dimensions was easy, i just walked out in the garage and checked the three i had sitting there. but it's just hard to compare a 50yr old block to modern technology.
LOL WoW i got to bow again!!!
I'll be honest i've just been lazy cuz i got one to, not 3 but one still good :p 1988 5.0L Carb

And your totally right about the comparing those 2 block.
I've just read your thread to, can't wait to see some updates :p
I'm in love with those v8 mr2

#106 ·
cbulen said:
Other way around. I was going to use the Audi V8. I started a thread on the possibility of using it. Then Mike_H read my thread and started building his V8 MR2, except he went longitudinal. I decided that the Audi cannot be used transversely (or rather, its not worth the trouble), as switching to the NOrtstar solved a lot of problems, but created others, but these problems were a LOT easier and cheaper to solve than using the Audi transversely.
Thanks for answering :p Just read your thread to good luck with it, even if I dont really know big things about this I was thinking too that the N* would be somewhat 'easier' and 'cheaper'.
Still German's 6's and V8 make some awsome sound, like i said i'm more an American ''big'' block fan, meaning everything with 8 cylinders, rest i'm 100% convinced that Japanese owns the 6 and 4 cylinders world but its my opinion.

#108 · (Edited)
Hi Chris,
I just got back in town so I haven?t worked on the engine at all. I will be having company for the next month or so. Probably not much will be getting done for a while. To answer your question, yes it is on the front balancer exactly like Hilly's. If I end up having to pull the engine I am going to change the way I mounted it. It will still be on the balancer but I believe I can make it a little more ridged.

#110 ·
Wow love your audi mr2, and am planning to do a 1uzfe mr-2 spyder conversion, it should be the first one in florida, I live in orlando. First of all, I'd like to say I've been researching this project relentlessly for the past 6 years, essentially since i first heard of the mc8r by sard that ran in the gt300, with the 4 liter sc400 engine, with a 1uzfe engine. I finally have some of the preparation i will need to complete my car and will be purchasing an engine soon. I would like to see your car on the weekend during the summer if possible? And take some pictures so i know what to expect in sizing. The 1uzfe is pretty long at 26 inches. I will be stretching the body, and essentially sub framing the engine bay, and maybe even the front end. I have had some suggestions to try to draft in a awd system, possibly using a skyline front end( I don't anticipate this as extremely useful.). I can prove that is works, as i am finishing a mechanical engineering degree, with the option to continue and finish my electrical engineering degree. Besides that it will have a full cage structure connecting the sub frame(s) and cabin housing, and full carbon Kevlar body. Power of the 1uzfe is hopefully going to be sorted it out by my friend, who is running an sc400 1uzfe at 750 hp ttt on boost of 23psi, completely redone internals. People think i'm crazy, but it is feasible, and i just wanted some thought's/critiques/concerns from fellow mr-2'ers, please tryt o remember that this is going to be don on a MR-2 Spyder, it will become either a t-top car or plain coupe depending on hp rating my friend comes up with, he's going for a 1000hp so we'll see. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Valerio. And yes his engine is triple turbo, Porsche style, with an extra one.

#111 ·
Sounds like quite an under taking. I can?t even imagine a 1,000 HP in a MR2. With my 300 HP it can be a hand full. It is not the HP but the torque. You are welcome to come and have a look at it anytime you want. I haven?t worked on it for a couple of months and I need to pull the engine to try and get it running properly. Hopefully I will do that in the next month or so and it will be running again when you come up.

#112 ·
vferroni said:
Wow love your audi mr2, and am planning to do a 1uzfe mr-2 spyder conversion, it should be the first one in florida, I live in orlando. First of all, I'd like to say I've been researching this project relentlessly for the past 6 years, essentially since i first heard of the mc8r by sard that ran in the gt300, with the 4 liter sc400 engine, with a 1uzfe engine.

I finally have some of the preparation i will need to complete my car and will be purchasing an engine soon. I would like to see your car on the weekend during the summer if possible?

And take some pictures so i know what to expect in sizing. The 1uzfe is pretty long at 26 inches. I will be stretching the body, and essentially sub framing the engine bay, and maybe even the front end. I have had some suggestions to try to draft in a awd system, possibly using a skyline front end( I don't anticipate this as extremely useful.).

I can prove that is works, as i am finishing a mechanical engineering degree, with the option to continue and finish my electrical engineering degree. Besides that it will have a full cage structure connecting the sub frame(s) and cabin housing, and full carbon Kevlar body. Power of the 1uzfe is hopefully going to be sorted it out by my friend, who is running an sc400 1uzfe at 750 hp ttt on boost of 23psi, completely redone internals. People think i'm crazy, but it is feasible, and i just wanted some thought's/critiques/concerns from fellow mr-2'ers, please tryt o remember that this is going to be don on a MR-2 Spyder, it will become either a t-top car or plain coupe depending on hp rating my friend comes up with, he's going for a 1000hp so we'll see. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks, Valerio. And yes his engine is triple turbo, Porsche style, with an extra one.

Some advice from a fellow engineer (albeit a bit older):
Since you are cutting up the car that much, you might consider just building a mid-engine kit car like the Factory Five Racing GTM. Then you can use components with large aftermarket support like the LS motor, the corvette suspension, hubs, and brakes, etc. Modifying an existing car means being stuck with the limitations of that car.

My thought is that your ambition is so high, you might get started, get deep into the project with a LOT of money spent, then realize that you're in over your head.

Remember what your professors in mechanical design said: KISS (Keep is Simple, Stupid). Forget about AWD, unless you can lift an AWD system from an existing car (Audi Quattro, WRX, or Porshe 9XX system).

Or, if you want something more economical, check out the Grabercars La Bala

There comes a point at which starting from scratch is easier than modifying an existing car, especially in this day and age with the wonderful selection of good kits available.. With my project, I have not reached that point, so I am proceeding. If, when I was planning my project, I felt that my project would have hit that point, I would have just created a new plan around a kit car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.