Projector LED Sealed beams - MR2 Owners Club Message Board
 4Likes
  • 2 Post By L0s7
  • 1 Post By Goopi
  • 1 Post By Slow White
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old October 8th, 2016, 10:03 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Projector LED Sealed beams

Hey everyone, I figured I should share this with you guys as I recently purchased some projector led headlights for my car. These are somewhat a copy of the JW Speaker 8900 if you've ever seen those, but the shroud and layout are different. These are NOT DOT APPROVED, if that matters to you (they don't really check during NC state inspection)

Pros
Build: very solid build quality, aluminum heatsink
Output: compared to sealed beams, well, you just can't compare it absolutely blows them out of the water
Price: much more expensive than an set of sealed beams or H4 conversion housings, but cheaper than a projector retrofit
Color choice: you get your choice of block or chrome shrouds, I personally think the chrome looks chincy/cheap but you might like it

Cons:
Build: the aforementioned heatsink is absolutely massive and the light does not fit in the headlight buckets without serious trimming and grinding, you have to remove a fair bit of material from the heatsink, and persuade the buckets a bit with a hammer on the corners (well worth it IMO)
Lenses: The lenses are plastic, most likely polycarbonate and are easily scratched, mine were scratched out of the box, but this can be fixed with sanding and some clear coat if you care enough
Water resistance: one of the lenses on mine was not sealed whatsoever, just came right off. An easy fix with some silicone though.
Wiring: wiring these lights was a pita, they want a positively switched headlight system, the MR2 has a negatively switched system and you have to use two relays to wire it to work properly, but the high beam indicator will not function without extra work. (I can help with wiring if anyone needs it)

Overall these lights are a very nice upgrade from sealed beams, but I cant speak on the longevity of them yet and the wiring sucked to figure out, but I know how to do it now and can help whoever needs it.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ebay link: Square 7" x 6" LED Headlight Hi Lo Light for Jeep Wrangler YJ Cherokee COMANCHE | eBay

This piece could fix the high indicator, don't know for sure though: 12W H4 Bi Xenon HID Leakage Canceller Relay Loom for Car | eBay
I will try to get more pictures uploaded soon, weather is pretty nasty in NC right now, so it may be a bit.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Xc?usp=sharing
Slow White is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2016, 01:22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Modesto, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 1,532
OldTrader Rating: (49)
Don't buy cheap knock-off headlights.

It is highly unlikely that they meet any kind of design or safety standards. Just dump a ton of light out, and screw everyone and everything else. They are unsafe for use on public roads and should not even be available for sale.
Diode Dynamics and jaeastep like this.
L0s7 is offline  
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2016, 15:10 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0s7 View Post
Don't buy cheap knock-off headlights.

It is highly unlikely that they meet any kind of design or safety standards. Just dump a ton of light out, and screw everyone and everything else. They are unsafe for use on public roads and should not even be available for sale.
You do realize that these are projector, and not reflector right? These lights emit the same amount of glare as any other projector headlight on the road, OEM or otherwise. Also, the safety thing, I feel much safer with the output of these compared to sealed beams, so there's that.

EDIT: These have also been sold under the Morimoto name by The Retrofit Source, and they were marked as DOT and SAE compliant. I can 99.9% guarantee that Morimoto did not change anything about the lights, just had their name stamped in them.

Last edited by Slow White; November 9th, 2016 at 15:12.
Slow White is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2016, 15:54
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Modesto, CA
Age: 29
Posts: 1,532
OldTrader Rating: (49)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow White View Post
You do realize that these are projector, and not reflector right? These lights emit the same amount of glare as any other projector headlight on the road, OEM or otherwise. Also, the safety thing, I feel much safer with the output of these compared to sealed beams, so there's that.
You do realize that projector and reflector are effectively meaningless terms to the layperson right? They're a name for the setup of light source, it does NOT mean that proper care was given to studying light source emission pattern to shape the parabaloid of the housing the send the light out in a controlled manner to form a proper cut off line, spread pattern, etc. that doesn't blind oncoming traffic. Blind oncoming traffic = unsafe for them and you.

If it's not DOT approved, assume that it is a knock off made with an unknown level of QC stringency. If it's a rebrand of a DOT approved product, there's probably a bad reason that they aren't DOT approved too.
L0s7 is offline  
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old November 9th, 2016, 16:12 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0s7 View Post
You do realize that projector and reflector are effectively meaningless terms to the layperson right? They're a name for the setup of light source, it does NOT mean that proper care was given to studying light source emission pattern to shape the parabaloid of the housing the send the light out in a controlled manner to form a proper cut off line, spread pattern, etc. that doesn't blind oncoming traffic. Blind oncoming traffic = unsafe for them and you.

If it's not DOT approved, assume that it is a knock off made with an unknown level of QC stringency. If it's a rebrand of a DOT approved product, there's probably a bad reason that they aren't DOT approved too.
Look, I'm not going to type back and forth to argue with you. Simple fact is that you don't have experience with these particular lights, they produce a distinct cutoff, they are not blinding to oncoming traffic. Also, to the best of my knowledge, lights are not "approved" by the DOT, the manufacturer decides if they are compliant with the law or not. Listen, I'm not a dickhead with an HID setup in a reflector housing, I bought these simply because sealed beams are unsafe to drive with.
Slow White is offline  
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2016, 00:46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C
Age: 26
Posts: 1,654
OldTrader Rating: (5)
Garage
Let's see some pictures of it's output, perhaps a video?
dpk3 likes this.
Goopi is offline  
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old November 13th, 2016, 07:57 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goopi View Post
Let's see some pictures of it's output, perhaps a video?
I'd be happy to. I've just been busy here lately, trying to wrap up my Eagle Scout rank has taken a lot of my free time.
Slow White is offline  
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2016, 08:51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 42
Posts: 305
OldTrader Rating: (0)
I'd be interested in what you did for wiring. I just made mine work in low beam only (I'm using JW 8900s which fit fine in the bucket FWIW) by moving one wire. High beam doesn't work. I meant to go figure it out eventually but that's a project really far down the list so if you can save me some of that effort I'd actually get it done
Dave-ROR is offline  
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2016, 15:52 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I'd be interested in what you did for wiring. I just made mine work in low beam only (I'm using JW 8900s which fit fine in the bucket FWIW) by moving one wire. High beam doesn't work. I meant to go figure it out eventually but that's a project really far down the list so if you can save me some of that effort I'd actually get it done

No problem, the wiring diagram I made for someone else with the same issue in the thread below (Post #5). This should work on your lights, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a PM.

https://www.mr2oc.com/6-mkii-90-99-na...led-beams.html
Dave-ROR likes this.

Last edited by Slow White; November 18th, 2016 at 15:55.
Slow White is offline  
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old November 20th, 2016, 12:53 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goopi View Post
Let's see some pictures of it's output, perhaps a video?
For those who wanted beam shots I've uploaded some more pictures to the google drive folder. Did my best to get good shots and show the width of them. These were all taken with my Note 4's camera, no editing or camera tricks. The camera is just not going to pick up the brightness of these, the photos show a hotspot in the middle and that is not how they really are, they are that bright throughout the whole beam pattern. Also, the high beam is very difficult to capture and I'm going to try to do a better shot of it, it shoots very far down the road though, and is bright enough to hurt your own eyes with the reflection off of white road signs.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...Xc?usp=sharing
Slow White is offline  
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old November 21st, 2016, 05:36
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 9
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Those look good man, thanks for sharing!
Gingerhotz is offline  
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old November 26th, 2016, 15:57
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maui, Hawaii
Posts: 41
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Looks good. People always seem to hate when someone is thinking outside the box.
Kharazmatik is offline  
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old November 27th, 2016, 08:29 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharazmatik View Post
Looks good. People always seem to hate when someone is thinking outside the box.
Sometimes that just seems to be the case. I don't know why people who run HIDs in a reflector housing get flamed but I do. Oh well.
Slow White is offline  
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2016, 17:00
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: South Florida, Paradise 365/12
Age: 70
Posts: 1,419
OldTrader Rating: (17)
"sealed beams are unsafe to drive with." interesting statement there slowy.
mr2tim is offline  
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old November 29th, 2016, 19:14 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2tim View Post
"sealed beams are unsafe to drive with." interesting statement there slowy.
I guess it depends on where you live and how much night driving you do. To me though, sealed beam performance is unacceptable. An H4 conversion is the minimum in my eyes.
Slow White is offline  
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2017, 04:22
Gold Level
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Santa Babylon
Age: 55
Posts: 3,946
OldTrader Rating: (59)
Reviving this because I just installed a set of JW Speaker 8900 Evolution lights in my 93na. The light output and evenness of the pattern is impressive. Quite a bit better than the Hella DOT-legal H4s I had in there (with standard 55/60w bulbs). Mind you, I've had Hella E-code H4 lights before, and the DOT lights are not as good, pattern wise. With low beams, I got flashed quite often (yes they were adjusted quite low). The DOT bezel/lens must throw a lot of glare up.

The 8900s DO NOT FIT in the MK2 headlight buckets, due to the depth of the housing/heatsink. You can either trim your buckets, grind down the headlight housing or (what I did) use some 1/4" spacing material on the 4 mounting bosses on each corner of the 8900 housings to move them forward. I used small pieces of 1/4" oak JB welded to the mounting bosses. This requires longer screws (#6x1" stainless) for the headlight retainer "ring", plus trimming the bottom of the black plastic headlight shroud in order to re-install it.

I needed one relay for each light to "reverse" the sense of the power going to the lights, similar to what Snow White posted above. The High Beam indicator works fine. I picked these up for $160/each on Amazon (all black version).

The cut-off on low beam is good, but not as sharp some HIDs I've seen (this is a good thing). The HID low beams in an S2000, for example, are so bright with such a sharp cut-off they have the effect of making you blind to anything above the cut-off. This can drive you nuts on a road with lots of dips and crests.
JimKing is offline  
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2017, 08:09 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Mooresville, NC
Age: 20
Posts: 193
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
Reviving this because I just installed a set of JW Speaker 8900 Evolution lights in my 93na. The light output and evenness of the pattern is impressive. Quite a bit better than the Hella DOT-legal H4s I had in there (with standard 55/60w bulbs). Mind you, I've had Hella E-code H4 lights before, and the DOT lights are not as good, pattern wise. With low beams, I got flashed quite often (yes they were adjusted quite low). The DOT bezel/lens must throw a lot of glare up.

The 8900s DO NOT FIT in the MK2 headlight buckets, due to the depth of the housing/heatsink. You can either trim your buckets, grind down the headlight housing or (what I did) use some 1/4" spacing material on the 4 mounting bosses on each corner of the 8900 housings to move them forward. I used small pieces of 1/4" oak JB welded to the mounting bosses. This requires longer screws (#6x1" stainless) for the headlight retainer "ring", plus trimming the bottom of the black plastic headlight shroud in order to re-install it.

I needed one relay for each light to "reverse" the sense of the power going to the lights, similar to what Snow White posted above. The High Beam indicator works fine. I picked these up for $160/each on Amazon (all black version).

The cut-off on low beam is good, but not as sharp some HIDs I've seen (this is a good thing). The HID low beams in an S2000, for example, are so bright with such a sharp cut-off they have the effect of making you blind to anything above the cut-off. This can drive you nuts on a road with lots of dips and crests.
Totally agree about the low beam cutoff being dangerous on certain projectors. Some people chase that super sharp cutoff line with no good reason for doing so.
Slow White is offline  
Reply

Tags
headlights, led, projectors, retrofit, sealed beams

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MR2 Owners Club Message Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: (0 members)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome