Looking for someone to confirm my retrofit HID's will work. - MR2 Owners Club Message Board
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old February 11th, 2016, 23:12 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada, Saskatchewan
Posts: 231
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Looking for someone to confirm my retrofit HID's will work.

Plan on using prolightz.com as they have $10 shipping to Canada and good Canadian prices. I plan on getting the morimoto d2s kit Bi-Xenon Morimoto Mini D2S 3.0 Projector Package,
O lens for shroud capability.
Osram xenarc 66240's.
Motorcontrol bi-xenon 9007/9004 harness? Looking for hi/lo.
Iris shrouds,
35watt ballast.
The PO installed crappy HID's in like a clear housing that I plan on using.

Can anyone confirm that this will work? I'm aware that I'll have to cut up the rear housing for the thing to fit. Should I get FXR's? Will it make a harder install? I noticed that when searching through the forums a few years ago that nobody really figured out hi/lo's. Is that a problem anymore? Anything additional I'm gonna need besides the sealant and JB weld solution/aluminum tape? Thanks!
pcdevine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2016, 20:23
1994 SMG N/A
 
1ofthesedays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 3,151
OldTrader Rating: (14)
I'd suggest joining https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum to look up what some people did on their retrofits; especially the sealed 7x6 retrofits.

I'm not sure why but the Mini D2S kit is more expensive than the FX-R kit. I would definitely get the FX-R kit. I've had the Mini H1 and D2S and did not like them much at all. I'm currently using the FX-R's in one of my cars and my brother-in-law has my RX-350's in his vehicle. They're all roughly the same size but the FX-R will not require a shroud as it is completely sealed. I'm hoping you haven't pulled the trigger yet, haha.

Also, you may want to think about how you'll mount the projectors. If using JB Weld, it will be a pretty permanent solution and if you need to fix or adjust the rotational aiming, things can get difficult trying to undo the JB Weld. I used corner braces with holes pre-drilled in them with nuts and bolts bought at my local hardware store (Lowe's or Home Depot here) with a dab of Loctite. Using this method, there is no requirement to mount the projector and take rotational aim into account since I mounted the projectors to the housing with the corner brace. You would only have to worry about mounting depth (as close to the glass as possible) and left/right aim. The install will be the same but you may have to cut away at a portion of the black fiberglass bucket underneath the headlight cover. I'm not sure about the Morimoto H4 motocontrol harness as mine was an older design and didn't work correctly when I flashed my high beams (lowbeams would go off when I pull the stalk and then the high beams would come on after the second pull). Maybe they fixed this issue but I didn't mind as I hardly used it. If you go down to the second review, it seems a guy confirms that his harness works correctly: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...l#.Vr_ms_krKUk .

Last edited by 1ofthesedays; February 13th, 2016 at 20:31.
1ofthesedays is offline  
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old February 13th, 2016, 20:40 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada, Saskatchewan
Posts: 231
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthesedays View Post
I'd suggest joining https://www.hidplanet.com/forums/forum to look up what some people did on their retrofits; especially the sealed 7x6 retrofits.

I'm not sure why but the Mini D2S kit is more expensive than the FX-R kit. I would definitely get the FX-R kit. I've had the Mini H1 and D2S and did not like them much at all. I'm currently using the FX-R's in one of my cars and my brother-in-law has my RX-350's in his vehicle. They're all roughly the same size but the FX-R will not require a shroud as it is completely sealed. I'm hoping you haven't pulled the trigger yet, haha.

Also, you may want to think about how you'll mount the projectors. If using JB Weld, it will be a pretty permanent solution and if you need to fix or adjust the rotational aiming, things can get difficult trying to undo the JB Weld. I used corner braces with holes pre-drilled in them with nuts and bolts bought at my local hardware store (Lowe's or Home Depot here) with a dab of Loctite. Using this method, there is no requirement to mount the projector and take rotational aim into account since I mounted the projectors to the housing with the corner brace. You would only have to worry about mounting depth (as close to the glass as possible) and left/right aim. The install will be the same but you may have to cut away at a portion of the black fiberglass bucket underneath the headlight cover. I'm not sure about the Morimoto H4 motocontrol harness as mine was an older design and didn't work correctly when I flashed my high beams (lowbeams would go off when I pull the stalk and then the high beams would come on after the second pull). Maybe they fixed this issue but I didn't mind as I hardly used it. If you go down to the second review, it seems a guy confirms that his harness works correctly: https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mo...l#.Vr_ms_krKUk .
Hey thanks for the response! Currently leaning towards a set of LED's now to be honest. They seem like a lot less of a headache and they should perform pretty similar. The ones I'm looking at, united pacific 31297's provide 3000 lumens and that should be plenty. Also my car is stiff as hell and bounces around everywhere down the road and I don't know how I'd like that HID cutoff. Thoughts?
pcdevine is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old February 16th, 2016, 08:32
1994 SMG N/A
 
1ofthesedays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 3,151
OldTrader Rating: (14)
LED would probably be the easiest way about it to get good lighting. I still don't prefer the color of them from what I've seen on the roads and in pictures; I prefer a slightly more yellow/white color from around 4,000K up to 5,000K. Once you hit ~5,500K the color starts to shift to blue and I'm not a big fan of that. As far as a bouncy car, I had the RX-350 setup in my MR2 for several months with no issues at all and the FX-R setup has been in my E36 with Bilstein B6 shocks (firm ride) for two or three years with no issues with the projectors loosening up. It's really all in how you mount it. Once you make the switch over to LED or HID, the cutoff will be much more pronounced than in a halogen setup. You'll easily be able to see your cutoff move up and down as you hit dips, bumps, potholes, go up hills and down them.
1ofthesedays is offline  
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2016, 10:17 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada, Saskatchewan
Posts: 231
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthesedays View Post
LED would probably be the easiest way about it to get good lighting. I still don't prefer the color of them from what I've seen on the roads and in pictures; I prefer a slightly more yellow/white color from around 4,000K up to 5,000K. Once you hit ~5,500K the color starts to shift to blue and I'm not a big fan of that. As far as a bouncy car, I had the RX-350 setup in my MR2 for several months with no issues at all and the FX-R setup has been in my E36 with Bilstein B6 shocks (firm ride) for two or three years with no issues with the projectors loosening up. It's really all in how you mount it. Once you make the switch over to LED or HID, the cutoff will be much more pronounced than in a halogen setup. You'll easily be able to see your cutoff move up and down as you hit dips, bumps, potholes, go up hills and down them.
Yeah I am not a fan of the color either, I'd rather be in the 4000k range. My dad has LED's on his SRT Grand Cherokee though and I love them. I bought united pacific 7x6's, should be 3000 lumens each. Should be plenty powerful.
pcdevine is offline  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2016, 10:31
1994 SMG N/A
 
1ofthesedays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: San Diego, CA
Age: 33
Posts: 3,151
OldTrader Rating: (14)
3000 lumens is around the same range as good HID bulbs so you should be good there. I just hope the color behaves nicely when it snows up there. Post some shots if you can! I was looking to do an LED 4x6 low-rise setup but no one makes a combo (hi/lo) setup in that size.
1ofthesedays is offline  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old February 17th, 2016, 21:29 Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Canada, Saskatchewan
Posts: 231
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ofthesedays View Post
3000 lumens is around the same range as good HID bulbs so you should be good there. I just hope the color behaves nicely when it snows up there. Post some shots if you can! I was looking to do an LED 4x6 low-rise setup but no one makes a combo (hi/lo) setup in that size.
Yeah thanks for the help! I'll be sure to get some shots once they're all set up and I get some use out of them.
pcdevine is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MR2 Owners Club Message Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: (0 members)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome