GE Nighthawk LED headlight review and comparison - Page 2 - MR2 Owners Club Message Board
 4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 15:05
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: S F Bay Area
Age: 74
Posts: 363
OldTrader Rating: (0)
I just checked EBAY. A place in Florida has the GE NIGHTHAWKs for $320 for a pair with free shipping.
hoonoze is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 15:10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 42
Posts: 305
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Based on the pics I've seen of the output (beam pattern, spread, reach) the Nighthawk's are pretty bad. The Jeep pics are round lights in that thread instead of 6054/200mm/5x7/4x6 housings which are a little worse in general though.

There's a much more expensive option from JW Speaker, the second version is being released soon or maybe just dropped, but they are about $1k.

Here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VGPMgo0tBWI

^^ now says Dec 10th so those were delayed. :shrug:

According to TRS they don't come close to HIDs though.

I just plan on cheap Pilot housings and HID projectors once I pickup a MK2. I'd like to use FXRs so hopefully they will fit in the buckets. Mini's will but bleh..
Dave-ROR is offline  
post #23 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 15:30 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Based on the pics I've seen of the output (beam pattern, spread, reach) the Nighthawk's are pretty bad. The Jeep pics are round lights in that thread instead of 6054/200mm/5x7/4x6 housings which are a little worse in general though.

There's a much more expensive option from JW Speaker, the second version is being released soon or maybe just dropped, but they are about $1k.

Here: http://www.theretrofitsource.com/com...l#.VGPMgo0tBWI

^^ now says Dec 10th so those were delayed. :shrug:

According to TRS they don't come close to HIDs though.

I just plan on cheap Pilot housings and HID projectors once I pickup a MK2. I'd like to use FXRs so hopefully they will fit in the buckets. Mini's will but bleh..
They tested the JW Speaker headlights in that thread on the Jeep forum as well. They were only marginally better than this version of the Truck-lite/GE Nighthawks. And they're 3x the price!

I'd be wary of recommendations from a retailer. Of course they're going to praise the products they sell, and minimize the ones they don't.

Make sure whatever you put into the Pilot housings are true HID projectors and not just halogen projectors with a HID retrofit kit rammed into them. They're not the same and won't perform the same.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 19:27 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
A few more pics from this evening once I got home. The MR2 with the GE LED headlamps alongside our other car, a 2011 Lancer Ralliart with factory HIDs (OEM bulbs). This was just my camera phone, but surprisingly these are spot on to how it appeared to me as I stood there.

Somewhat pointless head-on shot:



Low beams, MR2 on the left. Notice the relatively sharp low end cut-off of the LED headlamps.









High beams both on:



High beams on MR2, low beam on Lancer:



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #25 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 19:29
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 42
Posts: 305
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
They tested the JW Speaker headlights in that thread on the Jeep forum as well. They were only marginally better than this version of the Truck-lite/GE Nighthawks. And they're 3x the price!

I'd be wary of recommendations from a retailer. Of course they're going to praise the products they sell, and minimize the ones they don't.

Make sure whatever you put into the Pilot housings are true HID projectors and not just halogen projectors with a HID retrofit kit rammed into them. They're not the same and won't perform the same.
TRS actually sells both, the link to the product was to their site. I run FXRs in my M3 and have done other HID retrofits in the past so based on my preferences they suggested products that will cost me half compared to the product I was asking about... I wouldn't consider that too shady. As noted in my first post, I'd probably try to squeeze FXRs in the Pilots. FXRs are very good (although non-OEM) Xenon projectors, not halogens. I have some pics from my cell phone of the M3's output but I don't believe I ever uploaded them online. Kinda pointless for this thread though.

Your pics are better than the jeep site for sure, still a bit "blotchy" with hot spots and it looks like spread falls away quickly. The 5x7 version is MUCH better than the round version though based on those pics!

This is all I could find on the JW 8900s (first version) and I'm not a fan based on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiQdDGivFY0

Last edited by Dave-ROR; November 12th, 2014 at 19:36.
Dave-ROR is offline  
post #26 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 19:38 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
TRS actually sells both, the link to the product was to their site. I run FXRs in my M3 and have done other HID retrofits in the past so based on my preferences they suggested products that will cost me half compared to the product I was asking about... I wouldn't consider that too shady. As noted in my first post, I'd probably try to squeeze FXRs in the Pilots. FXRs are very good (although non-OEM) Xenon projectors, not halogens. I have some pics from my cell phone of the M3's output but I don't believe I ever uploaded them online. Kinda pointless for this thread though.
I was talking about the JW Speaker vs. others. They praise it in the link you posted.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #27 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 19:40
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Tampa, FL
Age: 42
Posts: 305
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
I was talking about the JW Speaker vs. others. They praise it in the link you posted.
Well sure But when contacted against what I wanted they suggested against it.

You replied before my edits/updates probably.
Dave-ROR is offline  
post #28 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 19:58 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
Your pics are better than the jeep site for sure, still a bit "blotchy" with hot spots and it looks like spread falls away quickly. The 5x7 version is MUCH better than the round version though based on those pics!
You were looking at the pictures on page 16 of the Jeep forum for their Truck-lite pics, right? The Truck-lite pictures on page 1 are of the older version.

I wouldn't say that the light is blotchy or falls away quickly. As I mentioned earlier, the lights definitely have a U shaped focal point. This gives the rest of the lighting the look of being dim or fading off, but in reality, the lighting to the side is brighter, more vivid, than it was previously with the H4 e-codes. You can also see that in the comparisons against the garage door.

Today on the way home was the first real world drive, through the city, traffic, then darker more remote areas. Overall, I was pleased. When side by side with newer cars with traditional halogens with reflector housings (e.g.: Accord), these headlights were lighting up more of the road. The two downsides, in my opinion, are the central hot spot I mentioned before, and that we have a lot of LED street lamps here that seem to be the exact same color, so the lighting gets entirely lost when driving under those lights. I suppose the last point isn't much of an issue since a lit road is a lit road so it shouldn't matter. The hot spot isn't that annoying, unless you're on a wavy/uneven road, of which we have many here. It then gives a wavy motion that is somewhat distracting.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #29 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 20:05
Two for me, None for you
 
JDSingh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Manhattan, NY
Age: 36
Posts: 6,114
OldTrader Rating: (10)
Can you elaborate on the "wavy motion"?


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose rosario
listen to JDSingh he is giving you good advice.
JDSingh is offline  
post #30 of 57 (permalink) Old November 12th, 2014, 20:16 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSingh View Post
Can you elaborate on the "wavy motion"?
If you're driving on an uneven road, like a road that's been torn up and patched far too many times, your suspension is absorbing some of that, so a focused hot spot further out in the distance appears more fixed and visually appears to move up and down the unevenness of the road down at that point. That doesn't happen when you have headlamps that are perfectly even throughout the viewing field, because there's no distinct spot in the light to stand out against anything else.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #31 of 57 (permalink) Old November 18th, 2014, 19:41
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Hi, I installed a pair of these headlights. However, when I do so, I lose my fog lights. In particular the following happens.

Installing 1 ge LED headlight + 1 halogen. Everything works. low-beam, hi-beam + blue indicator on dash, fog lights.

Installing both ge LED headlights. lo-beam works. If I turn on my hi-beams, they work, but the hi-beam indicator (blue thing on the dash) doesn't light up. If I have low-beams on, and turn on the fog lights with the switch, the high beam comes on without the fog lights.

I am super duper confused. I'm hoping someone can help me out though, as the effects seem so weird that I think someone must of seen this before. Thanks!

Edit: Oh, but minus these issues, the headlights are pretty bright. I like them

Last edited by pyo2004; November 18th, 2014 at 19:42. Reason: add review comment
pyo2004 is offline  
post #32 of 57 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2014, 08:16 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo2004 View Post
Installing both ge LED headlights. lo-beam works. If I turn on my hi-beams, they work, but the hi-beam indicator (blue thing on the dash) doesn't light up.
That's normal. The high beam indicator is based on resistance. The LED lights don't create enough to trip that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo2004 View Post
If I have low-beams on, and turn on the fog lights with the switch, the high beam comes on without the fog lights.
Hrmm...not sure about this one. I actually never tried turning the foglights on, because I virtually never have them on. I'll try this when I get home to see if mine do the same thing.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #33 of 57 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2014, 14:31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 11
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Would splicing in a load resistor fix this then?
pyo2004 is offline  
post #34 of 57 (permalink) Old November 19th, 2014, 15:26 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pyo2004 View Post
Would splicing in a load resistor fix this then?
I would think so.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #35 of 57 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2014, 13:37
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,560
OldTrader Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbvolks View Post
That's normal. The high beam indicator is based on resistance. The LED lights don't create enough to trip that.



Hrmm...not sure about this one. I actually never tried turning the foglights on, because I virtually never have them on. I'll try this when I get home to see if mine do the same thing.
Were you able to test the foglights?
Kosan is offline  
post #36 of 57 (permalink) Old November 30th, 2014, 15:29 Thread Starter
Crazy OEM nut.
 
nbvolks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Concord, Massachusetts
Age: 39
Posts: 7,328
OldTrader Rating: (15)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosan View Post
Were you able to test the foglights?
Sorry, totally forgot to check on that. So, I just went to garage and tried it out. My foglights and headlights still work correctly.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
nbvolks is offline  
post #37 of 57 (permalink) Old December 20th, 2014, 11:18
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Yorkville, IL
Age: 42
Posts: 6,964
OldTrader Rating: (59)
From what I remember about my MR2 and from my current Mazdaspeed 3 and other cars I've had, when you have your low beams and foglights on and you turn on your high beams, your foglights will automatically turn off until the highbeams are turned off. I think the only way around this is to hardwire your foglights to run independently of your low beams. I rewired both of my MR2's to do this, as I would tend to drive the car with the parking lights and the foglights on during the day all the time.

blue-sun is offline  
post #38 of 57 (permalink) Old March 17th, 2015, 14:39
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: sf ca
Posts: 523
OldTrader Rating: (10)
anyone know where the cheapest place to pick these up are?
94 MR2 Turbo is offline  
post #39 of 57 (permalink) Old September 18th, 2015, 13:55
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southie!
Age: 53
Posts: 3,185
OldTrader Rating: (19)
Thank you for this great thread, and thank you to my friend Derek for pointing it out for me. I'm going all LED and this was the missing piece.

You can get them now on Amazon for $200 each.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3zJ.XFN5WK2_tt

FYI significantly less power draw from these from a review I saw, (and therefore some fuel savings)

23 watts low beam /46 watts highbeam. I expect, but am not 100% positive, that those wattage figures are for a pair, based on familiarity with LEDs.

will install and let you know what I think.
Smurfcrusher is offline  
post #40 of 57 (permalink) Old October 16th, 2015, 19:31
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Everett Washington
Age: 59
Posts: 1,972
OldTrader Rating: (20)
Hey OP..
Which ones are you seling? Need new lights for my Alltrac.

Wow just looked on Amazon... you can get the GE Nighthawks for $255 plus 8 dollars shipping. Santa Claus may come early this year.

Last edited by sarnodude; November 2nd, 2015 at 13:37.
sarnodude is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MR2 Owners Club Message Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: (0 members)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome