Toyota BMW partnership - Page 3 - MR2 Owners Club Message Board
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #41 of 69 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2013, 17:10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Age: 36
Posts: 587
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Want a new MR2?? Just give up and buy a Cayman.
driftingzzw30 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #42 of 69 (permalink) Old March 31st, 2013, 17:55
Registered User
 
mr2by4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 4,634
OldTrader Rating: (72)
Cayman is too small. Get an Evora!
mr2by4 is offline  
post #43 of 69 (permalink) Old April 7th, 2013, 20:19
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NW metro...
Age: 52
Posts: 4,057
OldTrader Rating: (8)
I want an Elise/Exige, which IMO is the new age of the MR2, then drove the Evora....OMG, that car is so nice! It's more of a touring car, but it's a great car. The V6 is way better and can't imagine what the Exige V6 S cup is like. anyway... Not sure what to think of a Toyota/BMW. Neither car are what they once were.

Last edited by Raising Arizona; April 7th, 2013 at 20:25.
Raising Arizona is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #44 of 69 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 14:03
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 76
OldTrader Rating: (0)
I'm not a fan of BMW, or German cars in general. Mostly, it's because their cars are expensive, but there isn't anything to really justify the price in my mind. They may have fancy gizmos and gadgets, but it really just seems to be more to go wrong, and it always does. They're over-engineered, not over-built, and they are a royal PITA to fix. More than a Toyota or even an "American" car, they're designed in boardrooms, by people who couldn't replace an alternator or starter, or a wiper blade for that matter, if they tried, and they never have. Also, the parts are expensive, and there's no apparent reason for that, either, except the name on the box; they're not of particularly great quality, as evidenced by the fact that they're always breaking.

In other words, they're expensive cheap cars. Where is the appeal in that?
Mr2Tech TX is offline  
post #45 of 69 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 14:50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Age: 31
Posts: 76
OldTrader Rating: (0)
I should probably temper all that by saying that I'm not overly impressed by any new cars. There have been a couple of peaks and valleys in the automotive industry, and they're different for different brands, but there was a peak in the late 60s before the EPA suffocated American Muscle, and there was a peak around the turn of the century, in my opinion, among the Japanese cars. As the 2000s and teens have progressed, Japanese cars just don't do it for me anymore. I like the FR-S/BRZ, but other than that where have all the great cars of the mid-to-late- 90s gone? There is no more MR2, no more Supra, no more RX-7 (and the RX-8 was a shadow of what the RX-7 was), the Nissan Z-cars fail to impress me, as does the R35 GT-R. The proliferation of drive-by-wire is killing the enthusiasts' cars. It seems that all car companies care about anymore is putting good numbers on the spec sheets. The fastest cars are no longer available with true manual transmissions because "that dual-clutch transmission shifts faster than any human could ever, so that makes it better." All that drive-by-wire crap may be good for the average American commuter, but what about those of us that care about the experience of driving, for whom driving is not a mere chore to accomplish getting from one point to another, but a visceral experience?
Mr2Tech TX is offline  
post #46 of 69 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 15:09
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Age: 42
Posts: 89
OldTrader Rating: (4)
News out today has it that Honda has decided to build the next gen NSX in Ohio. Even better they are doing it without basterdizing the nameplate by partnering with gee I dont know Subaru or BMW. Nor are they developing a new cheapo sounding sub-brand for it like Sconda or Hion. All my respect lost for Toyota is being sent to Honda, Kudos to you Honda.
white93mr2 is offline  
post #47 of 69 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 20:55
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nevada
Posts: 424
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Tech TX
I should probably temper all that by saying that I'm not overly impressed by any new cars. There have been a couple of peaks and valleys in the automotive industry, and they're different for different brands, but there was a peak in the late 60s before the EPA suffocated American Muscle, and there was a peak around the turn of the century, in my opinion, among the Japanese cars. As the 2000s and teens have progressed, Japanese cars just don't do it for me anymore. I like the FR-S/BRZ, but other than that where have all the great cars of the mid-to-late- 90s gone? There is no more MR2, no more Supra, no more RX-7 (and the RX-8 was a shadow of what the RX-7 was), the Nissan Z-cars fail to impress me, as does the R35 GT-R. The proliferation of drive-by-wire is killing the enthusiasts' cars. It seems that all car companies care about anymore is putting good numbers on the spec sheets. The fastest cars are no longer available with true manual transmissions because "that dual-clutch transmission shifts faster than any human could ever, so that makes it better." All that drive-by-wire crap may be good for the average American commuter, but what about those of us that care about the experience of driving, for whom driving is not a mere chore to accomplish getting from one point to another, but a visceral experience?
Build a caterham?
omarAW11 is offline  
post #48 of 69 (permalink) Old May 16th, 2013, 19:23
Registered User
 
mr2by4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 4,634
OldTrader Rating: (72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by white93mr2
News out today has it that Honda has decided to build the next gen NSX in Ohio. Even better they are doing it without basterdizing the nameplate by partnering with gee I dont know Subaru or BMW. Nor are they developing a new cheapo sounding sub-brand for it like Sconda or Hion. All my respect lost for Toyota is being sent to Honda, Kudos to you Honda.
So will they sell a Honda or an Acura NSX? I am glad they are not creating "sub-brands". That would be shameful!
mr2by4 is offline  
post #49 of 69 (permalink) Old June 2nd, 2013, 18:38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Age: 30
Posts: 12
OldTrader Rating: (0)
It will be Acura NSX anywhere there is acura branding in that particular country, Honda NSX everywhere else.
wazway is offline  
post #50 of 69 (permalink) Old June 5th, 2013, 00:12
Registered User
 
mr2by4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 4,634
OldTrader Rating: (72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wazway
It will be Acura NSX anywhere there is acura branding in that particular country, Honda NSX everywhere else.
I got that. You might not have read the previous post(about Toyota making up shell brands to try to sell more cars) to catch the sarcasm of my comment.
mr2by4 is offline  
post #51 of 69 (permalink) Old June 6th, 2013, 21:48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Age: 34
Posts: 261
OldTrader Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr2Tech TX
I should probably temper all that by saying that I'm not overly impressed by any new cars. There have been a couple of peaks and valleys in the automotive industry, and they're different for different brands, but there was a peak in the late 60s before the EPA suffocated American Muscle, and there was a peak around the turn of the century, in my opinion, among the Japanese cars. As the 2000s and teens have progressed, Japanese cars just don't do it for me anymore. I like the FR-S/BRZ, but other than that where have all the great cars of the mid-to-late- 90s gone? There is no more MR2, no more Supra, no more RX-7 (and the RX-8 was a shadow of what the RX-7 was), the Nissan Z-cars fail to impress me, as does the R35 GT-R. The proliferation of drive-by-wire is killing the enthusiasts' cars. It seems that all car companies care about anymore is putting good numbers on the spec sheets. The fastest cars are no longer available with true manual transmissions because "that dual-clutch transmission shifts faster than any human could ever, so that makes it better." All that drive-by-wire crap may be good for the average American commuter, but what about those of us that care about the experience of driving, for whom driving is not a mere chore to accomplish getting from one point to another, but a visceral experience?
I agree 100% i left the mr2 scene and bought a brand new 135i and a month later the window pinch system failed......the [email protected]#@$ try to tell me some BS that it was because of tint....the damn tint was done why the same company that they were using to tint their cars. I ended up selling the 135 and just pocket my money.....
Teg1 is offline  
post #52 of 69 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2013, 21:26
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: North East Kansas
Posts: 152
OldTrader Rating: (2)
I'd be a lot happier if it was a Toyota/Porsche partnership. Much better reliability....and Porsche knows how to build a sports car!

Bob
1980 911SC
1991 Mr2 Turbo, Gen 3
14thor is offline  
post #53 of 69 (permalink) Old August 25th, 2013, 22:27
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Vancouver, B.C
Age: 26
Posts: 1,654
OldTrader Rating: (5)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thor
I'd be a lot happier if it was a Toyota/Porsche partnership. Much better reliability....and Porsche knows how to build a sports car!

Bob
1980 911SC
1991 Mr2 Turbo, Gen 3
I'm drooling just thinking about if that happened.
Goopi is offline  
post #54 of 69 (permalink) Old August 26th, 2013, 09:51
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 62
Posts: 1,312
OldTrader Rating: (1)
Porche Cayman? The price starts at over $50K. For that kind of money I would be looking at a Lotus Exige. The whole, entire, point of the MR2 was as an affordable mid-engine car that is a huge amount of fun to drive around town.
AlastairMR2 is offline  
post #55 of 69 (permalink) Old September 1st, 2013, 20:43
Registered User
 
mr2by4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 4,634
OldTrader Rating: (72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlastairMR2
Porche Cayman? The price starts at over $50K. For that kind of money I would be looking at a Lotus Exige. The whole, entire, point of the MR2 was as an affordable mid-engine car that is a huge amount of fun to drive around town.
Obviously Porsche doesn't need Toyota's help to build a Boxster, they have done that on their own. The collaboration would be to share the best qualities of both companies, though usually we only get the bastard miscreants that display the worst of both companies...
I wonder why that is?
mr2by4 is offline  
post #56 of 69 (permalink) Old September 2nd, 2013, 18:07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Canada
Posts: 23
OldTrader Rating: (0)
Cool BMW - Toyota Sports Car Heading Towards Tokyo Debut




Earlier this year, BMW and Toyota confirmed a four-part joint venture mostly focusing on increasing improving vehicle efficiency using fuel cells, lightweight materials and better battery technology. Also tucked into the announcement was a "feasibility study" for a shared platform to underpin a future midsize "sports vehicle."

In terms of the latter, it seems that things have stepped up from the feasibility stage to the conceptual stage, as Motor Trend reports we could see a pair of new sports car concepts debut later this year in at the Tokyo Motor Show. There isn't much information about the new program, but the article suggests the sports cars could be all-wheel drive hybrids, with electric motors powering the front wheels and a gas engine powering the rear wheels. While a partnership between Toyota and BMW might not lend itself to a catchy portmanteau like "Toyobaru," here's hoping it will bear fruit that is as exciting as the ones produced by the Toyota/Subaru tie up.

Source : Autoblog.com

Autoblog


Regards,

Minty AW11SC

Minty AW11SC is offline  
post #57 of 69 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2013, 17:34
Registered User
 
mr2by4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 4,634
OldTrader Rating: (72)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty AW11SC

Which guys are which?
mr2by4 is offline  
post #58 of 69 (permalink) Old September 3rd, 2013, 17:48
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sydney, AUSTRAAYYAA
Age: 39
Posts: 571
OldTrader Rating: (1)
The tall German looking guys are from Toyota Japan obviously.
bionikal is offline  
post #59 of 69 (permalink) Old September 5th, 2013, 03:07
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Age: 62
Posts: 1,312
OldTrader Rating: (1)
If Toyota and BMW have a partnership, does this mean I have to become a rude, ignorant, self-important, jerk in order to own one of their cars?

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell...-studies-find/
AlastairMR2 is offline  
post #60 of 69 (permalink) Old September 11th, 2013, 09:45
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Age: 29
Posts: 1,314
OldTrader Rating: (8)
Would this be something they both came up with??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=m3JAtvsqfF8
datguydenni is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the MR2 Owners Club Message Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: (0 members)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome