MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Selecting and setting up a MR2 for Rally

4K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  SpeciallySpiked 
#1 ·
Hey all,
So long story short my 83 Celica I rally-x got demolished while parked on my street so I'm likely going to need a new car for this season. I like RWD, and also am pretty familiar with Toyotas, so I'm taking a serious look at the MR2.

I've been doing some reading and found a lot of people saying the Mk1s are good in stock form. Haven't found much on the Mk2s. I'm currently eyeballing two for sale on the board. Haven't found much for sale in the used rally market.

I had couple questions..

Is the MK1 or 2 substantially better then the other for rally?

I'm 6ft and am also worried about space with the helmet and all. I've heard the MK2s have slightly more space, as do the hard tops. There seems to be a good amount of sidebracket seat mounts that could solve these issues though? Most of the threads on heights and fitting into cars on the board are reduced to random people posting their heights...

Any other major considerations I should look at? I'm looking to stay N/A for the smoother powerband. This will also be my first MR2, so any basic purchasing knowledge for these cars would be welcomed too

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd imagine you'll be better off with a hardtop too, due to the lower weight and slight headroom advantage. You'd be putting a cage in the car? I'm not sure how that might affect your interior space and your height, but someone on here will know.

A Mk1 is going to be significantly lighter (earliest cars were ≤ 2400lb), though you'll get more power and torque out of a Mk2.

I'm interested to see what you end up going with/building for this though!

#4 ·
I ended up picking up a NA 91. Doesn't run as of yet and needs some body work/rust repair done but other that it seems to be in good shape. Interior is actually very nice, sad to see it used a rally car haha. Still not sure about the ground clearance, but suppose I'll figure that out eventually

#5 ·
Got the 2 running. Seems to run good so far. High mileage, 227k, seems to burn some oil, but hopefully it makes it through the season.

Anyone have any thoughts on suspension set up to gain some clearance?

I'm also open to advice for selecting wheels. I think I'm gonna try and pick up some stock alloys to make things quick. I know 15 is the preferred size for rally for tire size, but seems the rim selections can be limited for our stud pattern/size

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.