MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

which standalone for my car?

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  RickyB 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is my first post on this forum.. I've never been able to register here, tried after a long time and it worked.

I'm from Italy and I have a '91 mk2 turbo, with a few mods on it : aftermarket smic, downpipe, manual boost control set to 14.5 psi, fuel cut defender, k&n filter, aem uego, boost gauge.

Now I know many people after this may want to get a better turbo, better exhaust, etc.. instead I'd like to "modernize" the way the engine handles.
Now I have a AFR of 10 when at full boost and I just don't like the way the engine acts.

I'd like to fit and tune a standalone by myself, I'm just a newbie but I have a good knowledge base (tuned EDC16 on my 1.6 HDI by myself) and I could still learn a lot.

I need advice to get all the parts I need together with the ecu.
I'd like to keep the standard distributor.
I know it's stricty required a IAT sensor, maybe a MAP sensor if not already in the ecu.
What else?
I'd like an ems with a good base map and that keeps the standard tvis..
Could it be possible to keep the oem cruise control ?
What are the things I wouldn't keep of the oem electronics?
What are the oem injection on the 3sgte ecu? bank to bank? sequential ?
Oem ignition? Wasted spark ?

I'm sorry for the many questions.. but I think that maybe if somebody could ask this would be a good sticky post :smile:

See less See more
#2 ·
Considering you're wanting to tune yourself: diyautotune.com and look into the MSPNP2. For more features and if you can do wiring yourself, MS3Pro.

Another newer and very good option is the ATS ECU Master @ atsracing.net

Both are very good options for the money and will give you what you want.

#12 ·
The sensor is not the problem with the MSPNP2, it's the lack of good hardware and firmware to detect knock, filter out noise and take appropriate action when real knock happens. You can learn more about this in this thread if you are interested.

I've not used the MSPNP2 specifically, but I've tuned hundreds of 3SGTE setups and thousands of cars in general with just about every box on the market. I have also written firmware for the Hydra Nemesis 2.70 system to properly detect and handle knock.

You can tune a car on a dyno with a stethoscope or det cans if you know what you are doing. Tuning on the street is also possible if you can get somebody else to drive, but dangerous if you drive yourself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.