MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Anyone in the Denver Area PLEASE help!

910 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  yoshimitsuspeed 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 92 celica half trac. I just completed all new internals and put the motor back in the car, for some reason I have grounding issues which cannot be explained easily. First my starter wouldnt engage or even click, I pulled the starter out and put a different one in, same problem. So i pulled the starter back out and plugged everything in and touched a ground wire to the starter and it will engage by key, put it back in the car and nothing, finally I ran a separate ground from the tranny to a bolt for the metal case on the starter and for some reason that solves the problem... do not understand the problem with the bell housing as there is no sign of corrosion...
second, now that I can turn the key the car will start, it will start up and run for maybe a second or two then die, I have attempted to confirm that all vacuum lines are correct and everything was as it was prior to pulling the motor and it all seems correct. I have jumped the fuel pump to make sure that the fuel pump wasnt failing in any way but when I do that it bogs the car down worse and makes for an even tougher start up, without the car will start up nearly fine most cranks but will not stop dying within the second or two of running, I do not think it is a fuel problem as much as a vacuum problem but the fact that the car seems to have some sort of grounding issue also bothers me, maybe because of the grounding issue with the starter it is causing more problems running? I feel like I have literally tried everything I could with trial and error, also if I keep the battery plugged in it kills the battery so I know something is wrong, I do not think the alternator is bad as it is remaned and I have had it running just fine prior to this overhaul. I have two grounds on the tranny(topside behind the safety control switch), one going to the battery and one going to the body with 4 gauge wire. I am no mechanic but I have had the car at 3 different shops in denver including toyota and I have made more progress then they have so I really need a guy who knows what he is doing to come look at it if all possible, otherwise I am willing to do the work myself with the help of others but you will have to be a bit precise with your words so I understand what I am looking for or doing. The Air flow meter is nearly new so i know that isnt a problem and from schematics and picture of other 3sgte motors that I have looked up online it seems as though my car is hooked up right. If anyone knows anyone in the Denver area that would be willing to help I am more than willing to pay for their time. If you message me I can give you my number! PLEASE SAVE ME!
I am over 10 years into this and I have only had fun with the car for about a month total over 10 years of work and trial and error with mechanics and ________.

See less See more
#2 ·
... I have a 92 celica half trac.

... do not understand the problem with the bell housing as there is no sign of corrosion...

...I do not think the alternator is bad as it is remaned and I have had it running just fine prior to this overhaul.
:hahahaha:

Looking clean is not good enough for the starter ground. Scrape both surfaces bright and then try again.

Well, if that logic was correct, then nothing would ever fail. If it worked last time, then it has to work this time. Ergo, it will work forever. If your battery keeps coming up dead, then your alternator is the number one suspect. Also, your battery is almost certainly scrap and you might as well replace it before you waste any more time on it.

In the way of general advice, fix the problems that you know about first. Don't try to figure everything out at once. That is because things are connected together in ways that you don't think of. If you fix your ground, your alternator, and your battery, things may suddenly look better.

#3 ·
Save your breath, someone with an actual answer please

Okay, let me be more specific, I have purchased a new battery, the area around the bell housing HAS been scraped and is not just clean but a little rough from the wire brush, and maybe I I wasnt clear when I stated that the alternator was remaned but the alternator has been checked out, I may not be a mechanic but I will state the obvious, 10 years with this car and I have run through this motor a few times, this isnt rocket science, I have checked all the simple things... so please, spare me of the obvious first time insults, I have checked the simple things and since I wrote the original post about 2 hours ago I have already taken off the wiring harness and some of the vacuum lines to make my second go around check on the problems, OBVIOUSLY I am fixing what I know of, I am asking for help with something I might be missing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.