MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Required tools for engine overhaul

4K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  MidnightBlueMR2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. I'm about to tear down one of my blocks and make it into a table and figured this would be a good time to practice the disassembling process. Besides the usual engine hoist, stand, ratchet, socket, wrench set, torque wrench, etc what are other essential tools that more experienced members use or recommend. Please provide the product and reasons why since not all tools are created equally.
Specifically are their better ORing pliers, piston compressors, etc. Did a fancy $$$ perform better than a cheaper part. Thanks.
***EDIT***
I forgot to mention measuring tools as well.

#2 ·
You don't need ring compressors for a teardown. I like the Wiseco one that's specifically made for a certain piston size (for piston installation). You'll need plastigage to check bearing tolerances, a ring file to fit piston rings, and a dial indicator to check crank endplay. Also feeler gauges for the valves. Those are the ones I can think of offhand that most people may not have already.

#3 ·
You will need a few very large random sockets, 32mm for the axles if it's a mk2, 30mm if it's a mk1 or mk3 for the axles, 24 mm for the oil filter sandwich, and I believe 22 or 24mm again if you have a turbo for your oil feed line. 12 sided 12mm or was it 12 sided 14mm for the head stud bolts. Aside from that after the engine is out most everything is one of three sizes 10,12,14mm.

Note do take the crank pulley off before you remove engine from car unless you just want to drop the entire pan and lower section of the motor off in one go.

#4 ·
I use the crappy $5 puller from the parts bin and 2 screws to get the pulley off. Piston ring pliers are not necessary. A set of torx. Large set of open ended wrenches. 12 point socket set. The speed crank makes things go faster. A piston ring compressor. An impact gun to get off the flywheel and pulley bolt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.